4mm Polsarrett: BR(S) N Cornwall Clay, The Final Countdown

KMRC clay dries then and now comparison
  • Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
    Whilst I've got manflu I've taken the opportunity to look through the thread from day 1. In hindsight I am quite surprised just how much I got done over Christmas (and not so surprised at how little I did in the following 6 months).

Also quite pleased at how it's progressed in the last 2 months.

Spot the difference...

IMG_20201224_181635_1.jpg

IMG_20210928_181518_1.jpg

Clay dries arch canopy prototype
  • Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
    Something not dissimilar to the half open, round top structure at Ponts Mill was in my mind.
    For any small clay facility, PM is my go to...
    Pontsmill branch

Well I was definitely thinking of wrinkly tin for the material as a change to all the stone.

Is this the building you were thinking about?:

rps20210930_210956.jpg

I can see that working, particularly with some side cladding near the board edge.

Other suggestions very welcome.

Backscene carcass installation
  • Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
    So, backscene...

I've decided to go the whole hog and get one printed on to that flexible material used for exhibition pop up stands. But I e think I noticed from other layouts is that it's too flexible when installed and either moves as things (people) pass or doesn't sit flat and catches the light wrong.

So, I'm going to put something solid behind it.

On the way back from GETS yesterday I popped in to Hobbycraft and bought some mounting board as well as some more foam board. I've cut some formers for the mounting board and stuck them in the corners.

Exhibit A:
    IMG_20211003_123321.jpg

I've adjusted the radius so that the cut in doesn't clash with the bagging building roof. In front of that will be some more mounting board.

Exhibit B:
    IMG_20211003_132216.jpg
    (Note I've finally found a use for GWR locos - they are good for gauging purposes)

This has no problem curving down to the 130mm radius. In the space behind the mounting board I'm going glue a layer of foamboard. Hopefully this sandwich, with the photo backscene in front will be lightweight and durable.

Backscene photomontage v1
  • Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
    All has been quiet on the Western (GWR & LSWR) front but it did take about a week of hard stares for conclusion to the standoff to be reached...

In the meantime, ably assisted by someone far better than I at photoshoppery, a plan for the photo backscene is emerging...

IMG_20211020_143020.jpg
    There will be trees behind the signal box up to the road.

IMG_20211020_143025.jpg
    Also trees in the triangular field behind the concrete office.

IMG_20211020_143029.jpg

IMG_20211020_143033.jpg

IMG_20211020_143039.jpg

Obviously not the real thing as being printed on A4 paper at a low resolution. Also ignore the blue lines, they are just to help with judging the horizon and a datum for doing this exercise remotely. Still some tweaking to be done, and a 220mm wide gap at the right hand side, but it's getting there I think.

Clay dries bag store and canopy build pt2
  • Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
    Capping added to the canopy roof and with that I'm calling the bagging store and canopy done and ready for paint.

IMG_20211022_181535.jpg

IMG_20211022_181543_1.jpg

IMG_20211022_181607.jpg

There's a deep gutter between the bagging store and the canopy and I fancy it would get silted up quite quickly. On the basis that it's out of sight I think that some weeds and a self setter sapling would be appropriate.

KMRC clay dries roofing goes on
  • Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
    Made a start on the roofing but have run out of the corrugated sheet material. Well not run out exactly, but one sheet was for 7mm and the other 4mm sheet seemed to be much flatter and stood out as looking different.

IMG_20211026_230331.jpg

At the top of the first row I've stuck on a narrow strip of 10thou. The bottom of the second row sits on this which will hopefully make it look like the sheets are overlapping.

IMG_20211026_230347.jpg

Last edited:
    KMRC clay dries primed
  • Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
    SFA train related done today. The morning started by taking the car to the garage to get a problem looked at. Thankfully quickly fixed but as ever still cost a fair few beer tokens.

Then the weekly food shop, then 4 hours helping SWMBO out with horse related stuff including reinstalling some guttering. Not surprised that the guttering brackets came adrift, there were no screws in the top of the brackets. Anyway, sorted now, so she's less likely to come home looking like a drowned rat. :))

Whilst doing all my community service I noted that she had a brake light out. Simple job to replace? Nope. First remove interior trim, then rummage around and unclip the wiring harness. Then undo 3 nuts which are impossible to get a spanner to, which releases the entire light cluster. Finally you're then able to replace the bulb before repeating the previous steps in reverse.

Sorted.

Determined to get something done today, I masked up the clay dries building (windows and the stacks of clay) and headed outside. As the last of the afternoon sun started to wane, the Halfords grey primer was applied. Obviously, couldn't go smoothly and the can ran out. Thankfully I found another in the stash.

So long story short, I've sprayed the dries grey...

IMG_20211030_170052_1.jpg

IMG_20211030_170323_1.jpg