4mm Polsarrett: BR(S) N Cornwall Clay, The Final Countdown

Clay dries arch canopy prototype

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Something not dissimilar to the half open, round top structure at Ponts Mill was in my mind.
For any small clay facility, PM is my go to...
Pontsmill branch

Well I was definitely thinking of wrinkly tin for the material as a change to all the stone.

Is this the building you were thinking about?:

rps20210930_210956.jpg

I can see that working, particularly with some side cladding near the board edge.

Other suggestions very welcome.

JasonBz

Western Thunderer
That is indeed the one I had in mind, and the extra cladding added to give it a better scenic break potential.

I am pretty sure that that was the bagged clay loading area, and PM seemed to produce quite a lot of bagged clay!

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
That is indeed the one I had in mind, and the extra cladding added to give it a better scenic break potential.

I am pretty sure that that was the bagged clay loading area, and PM seemed to produce quite a lot of bagged clay!

From what I've just read PM used a different process to the dries I'm modelling. Grinding up the clay to produce a fine powder and then blowing it into bags. Still like the building though.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
It is also a good excuse to run more vans ;)

My intention is to run vans and opens, just like Wenford. As you say it makes things more interesting. And there's coal for the furnace, plus general stores for the loading dock. At least with the vans there's no issue with loading and unloading. It's a bit trickier with the opens - got to magic some sheets!

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris,

by chance on my way back from the chiropodist this afternoon i noticed a similar corrugated clad building over a hedge and I noticed that it had a shallow pitched roof off of either side, starting about two to three feet before where the gutter would be and going off either side with the gutter probably in line with where the gutter would have been at the end of the curved section. This would make things easy for you as there would be no need for anything to be 'under the roof' as it were.

regards

Mike

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Any thoughts?

As can be seen from this closer shot, I'm thinking there will be a 2nd track in the shed, which hints at a larger facility off stage...

Mmmmm, I'd be inclined move the new shed to the left by one track so it goes behind the dries and place an older building as originally planned instead of the proposed 2nd track.

This would help fill the corner space and suggests the newer shed being an infill between the two older buildings.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Right then two options to vote for...

Option A. Bagging store at the rear and curved canopy in front. Two tracks with roadway in between.
IMG_20211001_182512.jpg

Option B. As suggested by Dave, move the curved canopy back and have the bagging store to the front. Single visible track under the canopy.
IMG_20211001_182625_1.jpg

Thoughts then folks.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris,

by chance on my way back from the chiropodist this afternoon i noticed a similar corrugated clad building over a hedge and I noticed that it had a shallow pitched roof off of either side, starting about two to three feet before where the gutter would be and going off either side with the gutter probably in line with where the gutter would have been at the end of the curved section. This would make things easy for you as there would be no need for anything to be 'under the roof' as it were.

regards

Mike

You might have to sketch that for me Mike!

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
I think, for me, Option A works best.

I've added a paper backscene and the lighting lid to see what it all looks like. I think the 2 additional structures finish the right hand side off nicely.

rps20211001_193007.jpg

IMG_20211001_191403.jpg

IMG_20211001_191341_1.jpg

IMG_20211001_193458_1.jpg

Good job I had my Bran flakes this morning, I wouldn't have had the cardboard for the mock-ups otherwise. :))