4mm Polsarrett: BR(S) N Cornwall Clay, The Final Countdown

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Forgot to post this yesterday...

IMG_20210927_131905_1.jpg

Heaps of the dried clay added. This was polystyrene shaped and covered with a mixture of white filler and PVA glue. On top of which lots of bits of 40thou plasticard were sprinkled. Then another wash of thinned PVA.

Used up lots of plasticard offcuts to make the sprinkles, some of which were painted dark colours (idiot). I'll need to paint the lot clay white at some point. Hopefully it will give the right impression by the time the roof is on!

KMRC clay dries then and now comparison

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Whilst I've got manflu I've taken the opportunity to look through the thread from day 1. In hindsight I am quite surprised just how much I got done over Christmas (and not so surprised at how little I did in the following 6 months).

Also quite pleased at how it's progressed in the last 2 months.

Spot the difference...

IMG_20201224_181635_1.jpg

IMG_20210928_181518_1.jpg

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
And the above brings me on to something I've been mulling over for a while... How to finish off the right hand end.

The clay dries line will now go into the fiddle yard to enable empties and fulls to be swapped off stage, plus to give the impression of a bigger site. There needs to be a view blocker between the mainline and the clay line to hide the goings on.

The two thoughts I've had so far are as follows:

Option A. The building (not the one in the photo) comes forward to the mainline but this means shortening the headshunt siding.
IMG_20210928_183054_1.jpg

Option B. The building, which will probably be a store for bagged clay, is narrower and allows the headshunt to be a wagon longer.
IMG_20210928_183109.jpg

In both cases I'll be also extending the high loading platform to the rear of the clay siding. A canopy over the siding??

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Idly reading the scene as a piece of fictional archaelogical history the SR style concrete fencing would suggest the clay dries were built first so any of those two options would be viable as the clay company would have purchased the land before the railway.

Option A hides more of the 2-3cm high edge at the end and if the SR acquired the land for the station they may have carried the concrete fencing boundary around the building possibly leaving a gap so the clay company maintain their gutters......

axr8ytid.jpg

Option B would entail removing a couple of fencing panels*, resiting the PW and tool huts and bricking up the building windows facing the station.

*Thought of the Day - can panels fence if banjos can duel?

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave, thanks for your thoughts.

I agree that the clay dries predates the railway in the 'modern' condition we see it now. I suspect there may have been a bit of land take when the mineral only line was worked on by the LSWR when they brought in a passenger service with some small halts.

A couple of points of clarity. The 2cm high edge won't be seen as it will be removed where track needs to go through to the fiddle yard and what remains will be behind the backscene.

In Option B the stunt stand-in building is too long and the PW hut could stay put (good job as it's well fixed with impact adhesive). The actual building size would be more like the one below (which is actually a 7mm model of Wenford goods office).

IMG_20210928_231035_1.jpg

And finally, panels should be allowed to fence.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Abuse of the poor old KMRC clay dries continues with the powertools brought out yet again.

Something I've been contemplating for a while is opening up the low door on the end to enable a peak inside the dries. Whilst I was doing that I decided to block up the next door as it's now too low for the floor inside. And finally, to give purpose to the flight of stairs and some added interest, I've added space for a door and window in the tall lean-to.

IMG_20210929_181538_1.jpg

IMG_20210929_181550.jpg

I think that's now the last major abuse the building will get...maybe...

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
The end wall looks good as is :thumbs:.

When the lean-to's have been finished I'd just weather the wall leaving the blocked door and old roof outline in the wall showing where he clay dries have been enlarged.

Something which is not often modelled and will add interest (as well as a talking point)

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
The end wall looks good as is :thumbs:.

When the lean-to's have been finished I'd just weather the wall leaving the blocked door and old roof outline in the wall showing where he clay dries have been enlarged.

Something which is not often modelled and will add interest (as well as a talking point)

That idea has also crossed my mind Dave, I'll be able to see how it will work once I've applied the primer.