4mm Polsarrett: BR(S) N Cornwall Clay, The Final Countdown

Signal installation

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Something I really wanted to find a place for on the layout were the two LSWR lower quadrant signals that Fred Shilton made for Treneglos.

Fred is no longer with us and I have fond memories of exhibiting the layout with him and others. A great model engineer, fun to have around and sadly missed.

Here's the hole cut for the first:

IMG_20220402_120456.jpg

And it slotted neatly on place:

IMG_20220402_120512.jpg

The base is going to need some hiding and there are repairs to be made to the signal but it's a good start.

rps20220402_121654.jpg

The position is probably a bit contrived, and perhaps should be on the end of the platform, but that's where it fits on the layout.

That's the easy one, the tall co-acting one is next...

Final plaster added to the layout, it's all green from here...

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
So today after making two holes, I've mostly been filling holes.

The platform has been fixed down and the plaster filler applied to the landform. Hopefully tomorrow it will be greened if dry.

IMG_20220402_160805_1.jpg

In the above photo you can't really see that I've smoothed over the apron in front of the clay dries - more cracks and holes filled.

After making a socket for the co-acting signal, the ground was made up around it as below.

IMG_20220402_160856.jpg

And the wall in front of the cottage was fixed in place and the ditch created.

IMG_20220402_160749.jpg

The cottage is still removable, as are the trees and clay dries, as it won't help having them fixed before fitting the backscene. Kicking myself for not checking the opening hours.

IMG_20220402_161452.jpg

Level crossing gates trial fit

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Just before popping down the pub last night I had time to consider the location of the level crossing gates. I decided to be conventional and put them either side of the track over the road.

IMG_20220402_182928.jpg

I'm using a MSE kit which includes white metal castings for the gates and posts, some etches, some netting and various bits of wire. Oh and some very confusing instructions which leave you to guess which post is which.

The crossing is bigger than I expected, so I may have to move the Megapoints controller servo board. That is is I haven't already drilled through it...

The gates will be moveable but unpowered for the first show bit if anyone has any ideas on how best to move one gate then the other by servo then let me know.

Mark F

Western Thunderer
Is it as simple as a microswitch at the end of the travel of the servo arm operating gate 1 that starts gate 2 in motion?

simond

Western Thunderer
Not directly, but I understand that Geoff was responsible for much of the control systems on Lime St.

Having had the pleasure of operating that magnificent model, and assuming I haven't crossed my wires, I think you’d be in safe hands. It just worked. Perfectly.

it may be a trick of the light, but are your posts placed on the corners of a rhombus? They’ll need to be if they’ll work!

atb
Simon

simond

Western Thunderer
Is it as simple as a microswitch at the end of the travel of the servo arm operating gate 1 that starts gate 2 in motion?

yes but no but.

Servos need to be controlled by a PWM signal, so a microswitch alone isn’t enough.

It is easy to program an Arduino (or other microcontroller) to drive two servos and, like signals, you don’t actually need to fit limit switches (though you might, eg to provide repeaters, or for route proving if you’re switching points).

it is easier (though rather more expensive, obviously) to purchase a commercially-made controller

it’s also possible to use eg two (non-servo) motor-gearboxes, with limit switches, that would work as you suggest, or as someone on the G0G forum did, use a servo, but take out the electronics, so just use the case, motor & gears as a low speed drive.
But that’s a bit like using a long stick to change channel on the telly, rather than putting batteries in the remote…

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Not to put a downer on it, but do the gates have to operate? With little or no road traffic about I would assume the gates would generally be left open for railway operations. The bobby would clamber down occasionally and open the gates to the road for the occasional doctor's Rover, tractor, sheep, or delivery lorry to the clay works.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Not to put a downer on it, but do the gates have to operate? With little or no road traffic about I would assume the gates would generally be left open for railway operations. The bobby would clamber down occasionally and open the gates to the road for the occasional doctor's Rover, tractor, sheep, or delivery lorry to the clay works.

I'd like them to operate eventually Heather but it's highly unlikely to be done for the show in 20 days time.