4mm Polsarrett: BR(S) N Cornwall Clay, The Final Countdown

KMRC clay dries roof joists completed
  • Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
    And then outside to action item 1 on the list...

IMG_20210810_171611.jpg IMG_20210810_171644_1.jpg IMG_20210810_171732_1.jpg

Halfords grey primer on first. Then a waft in places with an off white to represent the clay dust. And finally some contrasting brown for the roof timbers. Nothing too detailed or accurate - I was after an impression only.

In the final 2 photos the front roof is loose and upsidedown to allow the paint to dry.

Clay dries stacking prototype photo
  • Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
    Now then. Research done on roofs and even back to the 1930s there seems to be a good mix of tiles and corrugated sheet materials used.

On the basis that I can reuse / modify the original KMRC dries roofs, and I can't face separately tiling them, I'm going to go with the sheet option.

Of all the photos I looked at, the one below in the Middleton Press, West Cornwall Mineral Railways book by Maurice Dart (plate 36) caught my eye as worth using as my reference. Dated as 1930s and the location is Carpella siding.

rps20210813_165849.jpg

Lanarkshire buffer stops
  • Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
    Bit of an off-board job this afternoon - making up some buffer stops.

IMG_20210905_190444.jpg

Both from Lanarkshire Models & Supplies. The left is kit BS04 for a SR buffer stop with rail replacement buffer beam and the right is an example with the wooden buffer beam BS03.

I've nicked some sleepers of a length of code 75 bullhead flexi to make them up. To keep them electrically dead there's a tissue paper layer between the sides and the buffer beam. I've cut them short to better disguise the join between them and the bog standard Peco code 75.

Just released that the tissue paper was from @LarryG - part of the packaging around a very nice 7mm Lowmac.

Last edited:
    Railtec 3d printed plates
  • Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
    A batch of Railtec 3d printed plates and transfers arrived the other day. Must admit, having always previously used etched plates, I was a bit sceptical of what they would look like.

Took the plunge today and renumbered the 8750 as 4666 and the 45xx as 4569.

rps20210910_182525.jpg

rps20210910_191049.jpg

One of the plates before fitting...
    rps20210910_181710.jpg

1368 got replacement crests and a Wadebridge shed code.

Signalling plan
  • Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
    On a more sensible note, my thoughts have turned to point rodding etc. This is strange because my original thoughts were to have none, as it was to be a quick project.

But...

The signal box front looks a bit empty without any rods and cable runs. And I do like the Modelu stools and cranks. And I needed to know how many levers the box should have (which is something that I should have considered before choosing the size of the box).

So a reasonably quick sketch which was preceded by some refresher reading.

rps20210912_162121.jpg

My basic understanding of these matters seems to indicate that about 14 levers is needed.
    • 6 for signals (with only the up starter and down home on the board)
    • 3 for facing point locks
    • 4 for turnouts
    • 1 to unlock the gates (not sure if this is needed)
    The diagram shows a catch point for the goods siding and this has been installed this afternoon (fake representation). I know there should be another one at the right hand side of the loop road working in tandem with 10 but heavy compression precludes this (unless anyone has a bright idea).

Thoughts welcomed.

LED lighting lid
  • Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
    Not much time spent in the trainset this week but I have managed to sort the lighting rig out.

IMG_20210924_152137_1.jpg

Took a reasonable amount of soldering wires on to tiny tags.

The base was made up using 2 layers of foamboard. One sits on top of the layout and the second was shaped to sit inside the front fascia and backscene.

IMG_20210924_201624.jpg

And some colour temp variation...

IMG_20210924_201639.jpg

IMG_20210924_201644_1.jpg
    Although you can't really tell in those photos that one is yellow and the other blue.

And in place on the layout...
    IMG_20210924_201739_1.jpg

Clay dries loading dock
  • Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
    So, the scenics have, in my usual style, proceeded in an organic manner.

I finally decided how to do the significant slope at the coal bin end of the dries.

IMG_20210926_180356.jpg

I'll leave that to dry this week and trim back to suit the interface with the dries building next weekend.