SimonD’s workbench

simond

Western Thunderer
Next instalment,

drilled hand holes in doors…. Mmm, only two per side on the model, and only two latch handle per side too. I’m pretty convinced the original vehicles had latch handles on all four doors on each side, and four hand holes (so you can reach out and operate the latch if you get shut in), certainly on earlier lots. So far, I’ve drilled out two on each side and discovered the wagon is moulded in white plastic, probably explains the white inners for the corridor connectors. I touched in with a tiny drop of precision coach brown, fingers crossed it won’t react horribly. I think the hand holes are quite noticable, so I’ll probably drill the extra ones.

I‘ve now fitted the battery boxes, couldn’t find any hard info, so put a single large one centrally each side, looks like the photo on page 180 in Russell, and I’ve run some watered-down rust pinwash over the bogies. Once that’s all dried, I’ll see if another does of airbrush track grubbiness is called for.

I also removed the couplings, and the little moulded turret to which the spring is secured, blacked a pair of Premier screw couplings and fitted them, with the Premier springs, which are much beefier than the originals.

Photo later, when it’s dried!

Simon

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Next instalment,

drilled hand holes in doors…. Mmm, only two per side on the model, and only two latch handle per side too. I’m pretty convinced the original vehicles had latch handles on all four doors on each side, and four hand holes (so you can reach out and operate the latch if you get shut in), certainly on earlier lots.
Hi Simon

That’s something I noticed in the hotel at Stafford on the Saturday evening. I mentioned it on RMweb, not as a gripe, but a more, a curiosity really….

Someone posted a picture of a prototype with the same bodyside arrangement and I think the consensus is, they’re preservation mods, that have somehow made it into the finished models. (Perhaps Minerva actually based their model on that particular prototype?). Strange really, ‘cos the line drawing that appears on the Minerva blurb that accompanies the model, has all holes and door mechanisms intact! :))

Nonetheless, it’s a great model and I’m sure these deficiencies can be overcome somehow.

Regards

Dan

simond

Western Thunderer
Hi Dan,

I think the later lots did not have hand holes, presumably they simply put a door handle on the inside…

bit like window bars, I suspect the main purpose was not anti-theft but prevention of something falling inside whilst in transit having potential consequences.

I believe the one in Didcot has all four, at least on the side I was looking at!

I think I’ll drill the extras. Whether I then drill the small holes and fit T handles is another question. You really don’t want to slip. Having just opened a 750ml bottle of “Licorne Black” to enjoy the last of the sun on the patio, my feeling is that it won’t be tonight!

cheers
Simon

simond

Western Thunderer
Hi Jon,

Typeface looks ok to me, but interestingly, in the only photo I’ve got of the same version, the number and “Siphon G“ are in the opposite order.

Dan,

your link took me to the Minerva site, but not to a drawing. Did I miss something?

atb
Simon

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Dan,

your link took me to the Minerva site, but not to a drawing. Did I miss something?
Simon, it takes me straight to my post on RMweb (part way down page 2 of the thread), but that might be because I was the one posting the link? Unless I was having a senior moment (quite likely!), I couldn’t see any “post numbers”, otherwise I would have mentioned which post number it was.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your mods in due course. :)

Regards

Dan

simond

Western Thunderer
Thanks Dan, I must have done something dim with the link!

Seems the choice is drill holes & fit T handles, or renumber…

and if 1270 really had horizontal planks, that would be the way to go. I wonder how easy it is to get the numbers off?

sounds risky to me. Might live with the planks and add the holes.

simond

Western Thunderer
1695037660335.png

WEP

1695037816887.png
HMRS

1695037897793.png

Minerva

There's clearly a difference between the lower left part of the "2" on the WEP & HMRS sheets and that on the Siphon, and the Minerva "1" has a serif, which is not recommended. I hadn't spotted that!

not sure now whether to paint them out and renumber or ignore. Perhaps someone else will have a go and I can just follow...

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
View attachment 196036

WEP

View attachment 196037
HMRS

View attachment 196038

Minerva

There's clearly a difference between the lower left part of the "2" on the WEP & HMRS sheets and that on the Siphon, and the Minerva "1" has a serif, which is not recommended. I hadn't spotted that!

not sure now whether to paint them out and renumber or ignore. Perhaps someone else will have a go and I can just follow...

As chief bodger I would probably just take a sharp blade and remove the serif on the 1. The 2 might be slightly misshapen bottom left but the 1 stands out. After that, and a bit of weathering, nobody will notice.

Chas Levin

Western Thunderer
As chief bodger I would probably just take a sharp blade and remove the serif on the 1. The 2 might be slightly misshapen bottom left but the 1 stands out. After that, and a bit of weathering, nobody will notice.
Or at the very least, you could take a serif'd '1' and try it out with the serif cut off, to see if it looks right?

simond

Western Thunderer
Thanks all.

bit more info here

and here

and I found another photo in Russell that I’d missed yesterday (indexed O.33, rather than Siphon.G) which confirms that earlier vehicles did indeed have all four hand holes, notwithstanding the vehicle in the thread that Dan referenced a few posts back, which appears to have only two per side.

A number such as 2052-2057 would fit in well with my model era (1930) and the vehicle would be really quite new.

This does look rather like a renumbering, along with the four hand holes and extra handles.

After spending ten minutes looking for my set square (which was in an eminently sensible place and only slightly hidden) I cut a template from some 30 thou PK, drilled the holes 1.8mm, flipped the template and drilled handle holes 0.7mm. The handles are from my penultimate pack of Blacksmith T handles.

Now I have to bite the bullet and paint out the numbers…. This clearly has the potential to go very pear shaped if the paint reacts badly.

Wish me well, I’m going in…!

Last edited:

simond

Western Thunderer
Happy to report that the Precision paint caused no issues, and is a reasonable match for the vehicle. I’d put it on a bit thin yesterday, and have added a little more this evening. Hopefully the new numbers will go on tomorrow evening, and I’ll find a dynamo. I can then touch up the airbrushed track grime on the lower body, and with a bit of luck, will be able to call it a wrap.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Looks to me Minerva's just used the default Arial font rather than bother to design the marking properly. Appalling laxity.

Wholly concur, a lack of attention to detail. Unfortunately it's the way today - use the default computer rather than find the correct typeface/font as it appears right. Having the correct typeface/font is one of my geeky traits :) - so much so - as I have managed to find and download: Gill Sans for later LNER and British Railways up to 1965; Johnston (or Johnston Sans) for London Transport from 1933; Rail Alphabet (Jock Kinneir and Margaret Calvert) for British Rail from 1964; Futura Mb BT for Deutsche Bundesbahn 1950s-80s station signs and alte DIN 1451 Mittelschrift for german road signs.

Yes the '2' appears to be more Maunsell SECR/SR style. Also the 'G' at the end of SIPHON. G on the model doesn't have the vertical tail as on the CPL decal sheet - similar to the G in GW.

However, it is possible the GW simplified their typeface with the introduction the the shirt button monogram.