SimonD’s workbench

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Wow, Simon. I’ve been very busy organising an 80th birthday party and only now read of your ordeal. Hurry up and get well.

Paul

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
Hi Simon,

I have only just caught up with the forum, due to work commitments.

But I wish you a speedy recovery, and keep up the good work.

ATB,

Martyn.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Simon,

methinks that a good helping of 'scouse' will be needed before attempting to lift that lot:eek::eek::eek:

Get well soon.

regards

Mike

simond

Western Thunderer
Crikey, that's a beast! You’ll be buying in industrial quantities of paint for it I assume.

I’m hoping a trip to Halfords will replenish supplies.

Trouble is, the cars that were painted in the colours that were acceptable matches for C&C haven’t been made for decades, and the colours are probably no longer fashionable, so it becomes “special order”. Being a cheapskate…

simond

Western Thunderer
Truss rods.

not too disappointed with the etched truss rod strips, but the queenposts are woeful.

image.jpg

crop from Russell book, fig 102 for illustration only.

image.jpg

the obvious differences are that the girders are straight, and the posts are likewise straight, & parallel.

I think the “I” beam is also a bit bigger, the cast ones appear to have missed out on their weetabix.

something more like this, I think, but perhaps a wee bit thinner - I’ll have to see if I can find a drawing:

image.jpg

photos are cruel…

Edit - further examination of the cast crossbeams showed that the master was clearly made from code 125 bullhead…

Last edited:

simond

Western Thunderer
Thanks Phil,

I really can’t blame the Garratt, it’s languished on a shelf in the glass cabinet for so very long.

who knows, maybe it’ll find itself being worked on, given my enforced absence from work…

then again, there are n coaches needing finishing touches like grab handles and transfers, an APOC twin tank wagon which needs to be built, a couple of other wagons requiring transfers, and some RTR that need a touch of the airbrush.
I also have a three doll semaphore which needs fixing for my pal, John.
And a couple of other projects.
I am unlikely to be bored!

cheers
Simon

simond

Western Thunderer
Today I have been following Doctor’s orders, taking it easy, I did a little work this morning, and a bit of modelling, and a long chat with a super-helpful cardiac nurse this afternoon.

Truss frames fitted - I had some 4mm “I“ section, which is probably marginally over size, I turned up some queenposts, and assembled it with a helping of 12BA nuts. It was fiddler than I anticipated, but I’m quite pleased with the assembly.

image.jpg

Brake linkages & vac cylinders next, I think, and try to improve the rather flash-encrusted dynamo.

Then again, I might have a different idea tomorrow!

Osgood

Western Thunderer
You haven't given the poor bloke crossing keeper / signalman any time to walk from one gate, having shut it, to the other! :D

simond

Western Thunderer
Bit more variety on the workbench:

image.jpg

roof finished on the M14 van, no ventilators required. Weathering will be applied when the rest of the vehicle catches up.

image.jpg

an attempt to backdate a Peco phone box to a representation of a K3. Needs its “Telephone” labels adding.

The Telephone Box | Kiosk No 3 The windows are not correct, of course.

If you’re making a Peco phone box, a 19.5 or 20 mm square of 40 thou plasticard as a floor makes the assembly easier. As would leaving it red.

I did fit a LED and 3k3 resistor in the roof, the wires run down the back corners, I used thin varnished copper, connected to a bit of veroboard epoxied underneath. The light is too bright even on 9V, so it’ll need further dimming, either an AC supply, or more resistance, or both.

And this rather splendid three doll bracket signal,

image.jpg

Which has spent 20 summers guarding the entrance to my pal, John’s “Leigh” station and shed on his garden line. Whilst it has hibernated in the shed, it needs some TLC, as you can see. The first job was to re-secure the main post to the baseplate, which I did by simply cutting a tight square mortise in the baseplate, and epoxy secured the post. It’s probably a good scale foot shorter than it was…. I also installed three brass tubes to guide the wires to the counterweights (about 50g brass discs) which live under the baseboard. The signal is operated by whipping twine “wires” from one of John’s lever frames.

Next job will be sorting the lights out. Then ladders, deck & handrails. Then cranks and arms.
At least the distant is easy!

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Bit more variety on the workbench:

View attachment 162566

roof finished on the M14 van, no ventilators required. Weathering will be applied when the rest of the vehicle catches up.

View attachment 162567

an attempt to backdate a Peco phone box to a representation of a K3. Needs its “Telephone” labels adding.

The Telephone Box | Kiosk No 3 The windows are not correct, of course.

If you’re making a Peco phone box, a 19.5 or 20 mm square of 40 thou plasticard as a floor makes the assembly easier. As would leaving it red.

I did fit a LED and 3k3 resistor in the roof, the wires run down the back corners, I used thin varnished copper, connected to a bit of veroboard epoxied underneath. The light is too bright even on 9V, so it’ll need further dimming, either an AC supply, or more resistance, or both.

And this rather splendid three doll bracket signal,

View attachment 162572

Which has spent 20 summers guarding the entrance to my pal, John’s “Leigh” station and shed on his garden line. Whilst it has hibernated in the shed, it needs some TLC, as you can see. The first job was to re-secure the main post to the baseplate, which I did by simply cutting a tight square mortise in the baseplate, and epoxy secured the post. It’s probably a good scale foot shorter than it was…. I also installed three brass tubes to guide the wires to the counterweights (about 50g brass discs) which live under the baseboard. The signal is operated by whipping twine “wires” from one of John’s lever frames.

Next job will be sorting the lights out. Then ladders, deck & handrails. Then cranks and arms.
At least the distant is easy!

You've been busy Simon, some cracking projects on the go there.