OzzyO

Western Thunderer
Thanks Mike,

I've got many, many different products but they are either:
  1. Too formal / coursed / dressed / posh
  2. Too blocky / square
  3. Too rough, undulating a face
I'm after something that's coursed but irregularly so, with thin-long stones and has a course but fairly flat face. Don't want much do I? Done more searching on line and there's definitely a gap in the market.

I've been through my 4mm and 7mm stashed of Wills, Slaters, SEF and more I don't recall the origins of. It's a torment I seem to go through with every stone building before I end up either heavily modifying a product or scribing.

Something like this:
View attachment 179605
(Extract from Bradford Barton B&W book for discussion purposes)

On the plus side parts of the building walls were slate hung in my period. I'm also increasingly convinced that the sides of the sticky out sections are actually brick. Perhaps that's me wanting to see something that isn't stone!

The more I look at this photo all of the walls are well dressed stone. If you look at the gable end of the building it looks the same as the "sticky out bits" so is that brick?
The back street wall and the wall of the sticky out bits all look to be of the same type of stone work to me.

Some stone work is not of random sizes but can be cut to the same thickness but not to the same length so you could have ta block of say 3" X 12 or 3" 24" etc.

OzzyO.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
So the best colour shot I can find of the rear of the buildings is courtesy of Google Street view.

rps20230205_192804.jpg

Unhelpfully the sides of the sticky out bits have been rendered so not very helpful. There is however a reasonable amount of brick visible in the chimney stacks, the window surrounds and the side wall of the workshop.

JasonBz

Western Thunderer
I was going to add that a lot of walls are rendered in the area, and brick was cheaper and easier than stone if it was to be covered over.
Cornish vernacular architecture is what one may call "interesting" at times.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
All the ribs are now in on the central section plus I've added strips of 60thou around the window openings to simulate the inset to the face of the window frames.
IMG_20230205_215601_1.jpg

And you look at the front and.... Looks like I've done nothing.

IMG_20230205_215623_1.jpg

The upper storey windows need the 60thou trimming back.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
A parcel arrived yesterday containing some new (to me) embossed plasticard. I had my fingers very much crossed that it would be ok as there were not many photos or comments about it online.

Not easy to photograph but the style is about right, so it's what I'm going to use.
IMG_20230209_201128.jpg
Random Coarse Stone, 1:100, HO-Scale, (2 per pack) JTT97444

The description says HO and 1:100 but at 7mm the squarer blocks are up to 12" long and the flatter ones up to 3' long. Unlike the Wills sheets, it's only about 0.5mm thick, so easy to cut.

Going to give it a go on the central three houses, and something different on the right-hand end house.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
The description says HO and 1:100 but at 7mm the squarer blocks are up to 12" long and the flatter ones up to 3' long. Unlike the Wills sheets, it's only about 0.5mm thick, so easy to cut.

Quite often I look at stone and brick sheets from other scales to see what fits the project I'm working on. Descriptions and the scale they are originally designed for are not always erm.... accurate.

As we know building stone varies in shape, size and style depending upon the geology, the quarry, how the stone cleaves, the local quarrymen*/stonemasons and local building style.

*.... not the early Beatles either!!!!

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Quite often I look at stone and brick sheets from other scales to see what fits the project I'm working on. Descriptions and the scale they are originally designed for are not always erm.... accurate.

As we know building stone varies in shape, size and style depending upon the geology, the quarry, how the stone cleaves, the local quarrymen*/stonemasons and local building style.

*.... not the early Beatles either!!!!

Yes, I also ignore scale descriptions on anything but brick. Always keen to find and try out new and exciting (?) embossed sheets, particularly those with a stone finish.

I've also used the Wills corrugated sheets meant for 4mm projects on 7mm buildings - the sheet sizes seem closer to 7mm.

Having just finished work, trying the new sheets out will have to wait until the morning...

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Design on the go, revised idea for the end lean-to drawn straight onto the plasticard and cut.

IMG_20230211_124055.jpg

Sadly I'm quite excited by this building as it is predominantly brick. Yay, a building that isn't stone!

Just the shell has taken what would have been 4 sheets of 40thou. Thankfully I've had some big 3' square sheets stashed away for these big buildings. 1½ of those gone so far...

Last edited:

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
All the walls have been strengthened by the mesh of ribs. I have had an experiment with the length of the horizontals and spacing of the verticals.

IMG_20230212_115600_1.jpg

IMG_20230212_115549_1.jpg

I have started cladding this section with brickwork and discovered a schoolboy error. I should have drawn up the windows and doors on the brickwork so that their spacing sat better with the brick sizes. As a result I have some odd size bricks around the openings. The wall will have a date with some filler. I've obviously been working in stone for too long as I should know better.

IMG_20230212_111105.jpg

In the meantime lintels installed.

IMG_20230212_115107.jpg

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
"How to build a larger scale model building from styrene", thank you so much for the last four photos especially.

No problem Richard. I'm sure there are many ways of doing it but this is the approach that's working best for me and is resulting in light but strong shells that hopefully won't distort. They braced shells are proving to be robust and are taking a lot of 'grief' when adding the surface finishes and details.

The ribs are 10mm wide and to get consistency of width I've made a spacer gauge from offcuts:

IMG_20230212_132354.jpg

Two pieces of plasticard glued in a step so that one protrudes by 10mm.

IMG_20230212_132418_1.jpg

I then use this to set the ruler top and bottom on the plasticard sheet.

Wadebridge house backs first roof and brickwork

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
So, for the last few hours I've been making the carcass for the steps and the framework for the roof module.

rps20230212_175449.jpg

rps20230212_175358.jpg

rps20230212_175420.jpg

The roof, as on the majority of other buildings I make, is a separate module. This helps construction / painting and also enables the interior to be accessed.

rps20230212_175553.jpg

Starting to look the part. I'm pleased that I changed my mind on the buildings for this location, going to add a lot of visual interest when complete.
IMG_20230212_175736_1.jpg