Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
The more I work through the various photos and calculate the various dimensions, the more curious features I spot.

The centre three units were built first and are stepped to match the levels of the approach to the river bridge. They are also split level front to back. They seem to date from the early Bodmin and Wadebridge days and can be seen below behind the B&W office and clock tower.

rps20230115_123919.jpg
(Extract from the Bradford Barton book for illustrative purposes)

Presumably when Wadebridge was LSWRised, and the B&W buildings demolished to make way for the extension to Padstow, room was found to add an extra shop unit to the left of the existing 3. Although similar proportionally, this new extension looked different. Interestingly, the extract below shows at least the left hand original building to now have slate clad walls.

rps20230115_124039.jpg

Also, at some stage after the B&W went, an industrial building was tacked on to the right hand side of the original 3 units. There's a whole bank of windows in the rear elevation above workshop style doors. rps20230115_124008.jpg

Eventually the whole lot looked like this (extract from much larger Britain from Above image for illustrative purposes only):

rps20230115_123946.jpg

To suit the situation I have on Pencarrow I'll be making some changes in the arrangement. The original 3 units will be as per the prototype, sloping up from left to right. The extra shop unit will go on the right, next to my bridge. The industrial extension will go on the left and be reverse handed - this will place it in the goods yard.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
A composite elevation of the left hand end...

rps20230122_140626.jpg

I've taken a few liberties with the big lean-to on the left hand side. The arrangement of the big slate roof should help hide the fact that there's 2" missing from the depth of the terraced shops. I've also move the ground level garage doors from the rear to the side.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
The only concern I do have is that the group of buildings is turning out to be quite a large mass. The next move is the card mockup and that should help identify how it sits with the rest of the buildings. Whilst I'm happy that the drawing is more or less to scale, I'm pondering applying a bit of a perspective reduction, and building them 90% true size. On the plus side the goods shed will no longer dominate the scene!

Wadebridge house backs 3d mockup

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
And a copy of the frontmost face that faces the railway has been stuck to some board and cut out to the profile.

So far looks about right but need the roofline on to check. There's actually some brick in these buildings, will be a nice change to 100% stone.

IMG_20230122_185615.jpg

The miniature in the foreground has the Bodmin North cottages in the same location. I think the Wadebridge houses look far more interesting.

Last edited:

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Foamboard mock up progressing. It has already shown that I can't get away with knocking back the sticky out sections from the main building by 2' from 12' to 10' to save a bit of depth. At 10' the proportions looked wrong.
IMG_20230124_190510.jpg

This does mean I'll have to take 2' off the main build depth. There's other knock on issues to resolve from that. It has also shown that the hip roof over the far right end needs to have a roof pitch on the rear face matching that of the main building.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
A few more update photos on the mock up... Lots of scraps of foamboard now being used up. See I knew they would come in handy one day...
IMG_20230129_140841_1.jpg

IMG_20230129_140922_1.jpg

IMG_20230129_140828_1.jpg

Cereal packets for roofs. No expense spared.

Having got this far, there's a number of changes and modifications I'm going to make to the actual build, but that's the whole point of the mock up.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
So... The outcome is that I'm going to reduce the overall height by about 2". It's slightly too imposing in context with the rest of the layout.

This will be achieved through...
1. Reducing the main roof pitch by 5deg which lower it by 15mm.
2. Sinking the houses into the ground by 20mm.
3. Reducing the height of the house elevations by 15mm.

The industrial unit will stay at ground level, have it's elevation reduced and the big roof pitch reduced as well. The adjustments will align it with the house end elevation nicely.