Prototype Tim Mills' Photos

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
These three pictures are from the train hauled by 31625 en route to Reading from Guildford on 5th June 1962. Precise locations are not provided.

img3156 TM Neg Strip 61 31625 from train en route to Reading from Guildford 5 Jun 62 copyright...jpg

img3157 TM Neg Strip 61 31625 from train en route to Reading from Guildford 5 Jun 62 copyright...jpg

These two are on the curve heading towards Wanborough as you leave Guildford. To the right on the other side of the train would be the main electrified line towards Woking.

This third one in the sequence I think is Wanborough, which logically follows in the sequence of photos. The NLS OS1:1,250 1:2,500 1944-73 series does not show tracks in the goods yard. However this series is made up of maps from between these dates and this particular section of the map may well be a later mapping after the goods yard was lifted.

This section of line between Guildford - Aldershot Junction South - Aldershot was electrified in 1938 with the first electric train running on 1st January 1939. On this cruelly enlarged section of the photo there appears to be an electric train (judging by the shape and lack of chimney outline and smoke) heading towards Guildford and the third rail can be seen (blue arrow). 2-Bil and 2-Hal units were common in this area.

Wanbrorough.jpg

Clearly from the train and probably the one hauled by 31625 is N Class 31812 at Campdown on a Reading to Guildford freight on 5th June 1962. The loco was allocated to Guildford from June 1959, then Exmouth Junction in August 1963. The SLS report it “To Western Region” in June 1964 but that did not involve a transfer and withdrawal was in June 1964. (SLS). On 19th October 1964 it was seen by RO on the way to Swansea East Dock. Then WHTS confirms it at Swansea East Dock on 7th November 1964 awaiting transfer to Bird’s at Morriston where BR Database advise a scrap date of December 1964.

img3159 TM Neg Strip 61 31812 Campdown Reading-Guildford freight 5 Jun 62 copyright Final.jpg

There is no Campdown station, however there is North Camp station where I believe this was taken and there is a sewage works on the right. On the left of the passenger train hidden from view would have been the goods yard. Crowthorne has a similar layout with a refuge siding and signal post but is ruled out as the area is more wooded. Northward from Crowthorne is Wokingham and you're back into electrified territory.

Schools 30930 Radley at Sandhurst from the Reading to Guildford train on 5th June 1962. At the time it was allocated to Redhill and had been since February 1962. It moved to Brighton in December the same year but lasted a fortnight as it was withdrawn at the end of the month. (SLS). The SLS also report it at Eastleigh MPD on 11th September 1963 awaiting works or scrap and BR Database that the scrap date was in April 1964.

img3160 TM Neg Strip 61 passing 30930 at Sandhurst from Reading to Guildford train 5 Jun 62 co...jpg

Again this follows in the sequence. The headcode displayed is Reading - Margate and this is the corresponding southbound working of the Birkenhead-Margate service of which the northbound service was seen earlier in post #3871. It departed at Reading General at 13.32 (1.32pm) and arrived at North Camp at 14.00 (2pm). This fits in with the high sun shadows.

Edited to correct Crowborough to Crowthorne.

Last edited:

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
I have to say I'd not noticed the coalman's head, Tim. Certainly worth adding to the description.

You've done it again, Dave @Yorkshire Dave . That's an amazing amount of detail from such limited initial information. All will, of course, be retained.

57XX pannier tank 9763 complete with shunters truck on a transfer freight at Reading on 5th June 1962. It had been a Reading loco since at least 1947 but moved to Old Oak Common at the end of August 1963 where it was clearly not wanted as it was withdrawn a month later. (SLS and BR Database). It was observed on 20th October 1963 in Swindon Works and in C Shop on 24th November 1963. (WHTS). It was scrapped in the same month. (BR Database).

img3161 TM Neg Strip 61 9763 transfer freight Reading 5 Jun 62 copyright Final.jpg

43XX 2-6-0 6379 suggested to be on an up freight at Reading on 5th June 1962. However, bearing in mind the vehicle behind on the same track I wonder if it’s actually making up a train. 6379 was allocated to Reading in June 1961, then Didcot two years later where it was withdrawn in August 1963. It was scrapped at Cashmore’s, Newport, (BR Database) where it was photographed on 7th March 1965 (WHTS).

img3162 TM Neg Strip 61 6379 up freight Reading 5 Jun 62 copyright Final.jpg

img3163 TM Neg Strip 61 6379 up freight Reading 5 Jun 62 copyright Final.jpg

Grange Class 6830 Buckenhill Grange on a down parcels train at Twyford Cutting on 5th June 1962. It was allocated to Oxley in April 1962 and was withdrawn in October 1965. (SLS). The loco was scrapped at Cohen’s, Kingsbury, in January 1966. (BR Database).

img3164 TM Neg Strip 61 6830 down parcels Twyford Cutting 5 Jun 62 copyrigt Final.jpg

Brian

Last edited:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Oh... we've jumped to Reading General - at this period in time we should be referring to the ex-GW Station as Reading General, with the ex-SR station being Reading South.

Apologies in advance for filling the interesting gap between Sandhurst and Reading South. Here are two of my dad's photos taken in 1962 which are commensurate with Tim's. (At that time my mum and dad as newly-weds had just moved to Bracknell (both worked in the Meteorological Office which had moved there from Dunstable) and I had only just been born in Wokingham).

The first is at Crowthorne with a N on a Redhill/Guildford - Reading goods.

Crowthorne.jpg

And secondly a pair of 2-Hals on a Reading South - Richmond - Waterloo service approaching Wokingham from the north. At Wokingham it will take the junction to the left towards Bracknell while straight on is the unelectrified line via Crowthorne, North Camp to Aldershot South Junction then over the electrified section to Guildford as seen in Tim's photos. When you start looking at a map of the lines around Reading, Farnborough, Aldershot and Guildford they get quite complex.

Wokingham 1.jpg

On reflection, after seeing a number of Tim's photos around the home counties and some of my dad's taken around the same time, they may well have passed each other without knowing. Nice thought - no matter how remote it may have been.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave and again, thank you. Lovely stuff again. Yes, Tim was so widely travelled I reckon it's entirely possible that your father could have bumped in to him without either of you knowing. I know for a fact that there were specific occasions when I was in exactly the same spot as Tim on the same date but he was just one of a crowd of enthusiasts at the time as was I.

Castle Class 4089 Donnington Castle on a down Hereford train at Twyford Cutting on 5th June 1962. It had been allocated to Old Oak Common in August 1960, moving to Reading in December 1963 and Southall in June 1964 before withdrawal in September the same year. (SLS). It was scrapped at Hayes, Bridgend, in January 1965. (BR Database).

img3165 TM Neg Strip 61 4089 down Hereford Twyford Cutting 5 Jun 62 copyright Final.jpg

An exceptionally nice panning shot of Modified Hall 6961 Stedham Hall with a down freight at Twyford Cutting on 5th June 1962. The loco had been a long time resident of Old Oak Common, having been allocated there in April 1952. It moved to Southall in November 1963, back to Old Oak Common in October 1964, then Didcot in January 1965 and Oxford in July the same year where it was withdrawn that September. (SLS). It was scrapped at Cashmore’s, Newport in December the same year. (BR Database).

img3166 TM Neg Strip 61 6961 down freight Twyford Cutting 5 Jun 62 copyright Final.jpg

From the train and about to pass Merchant Navy 35011 General Steam Navigation on a Waterloo to Southampton train at Weybridge on 8th June 1962. 35011 had been allocated to Bournemouth from February 1960 where it was withdrawn in February 1966. (SLS). It went to Barry Scrapyard where I photographed it in 1967. It left Barry in March 1983 and went in to storage at Preston Park. It's currently under an extremely long term restoration programme - to air smoothed condition - at the Swindon and Cricklade Railway. See 35011 General Steam Navigation (SR 21C11 & BR 35011)

img3168 TM Neg Strip 62 From train passing 35011 Waterloo-Southampton at Weybridge 8 Jun 62 co...jpg

I've just seen photos of the new 32424 Beachy Head on the Bluebell. What a triumph!

Brian

Last edited:

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Class U 2-6-0 31792 light engine at Bournemouth West on 8th June 1962. The loco was allocated to Yeovil Town in February 1960 where it was withdrawn in September 1964. (SLS). WHTS report it was sold to Bird’s, Morriston, Swansea who sold it on or more likely transferred it to Bird’s, Bynea as reported by the LCGB who also reported it as observed intact on 13th December 1964. BR Database advise a scrapping date of the same month.

img3169 TM Neg Strip 62 31792 Light engine Bournemouth West 8 Jun 62 copyright Final.jpg

I love the composition of this one but it's a shame that the sun was in just the wrong position to hit the front of the loco. BR Standard Class 4 2-6-0 75027 on a local train at Bournemouth West on 8th June 1962. This was a loco that moved around a lot. At the time of the photo it was a Templecombe S & D loco and had been since February 1960. It moved to Machynlleth in November 1962, then Croes Newydd March 1963, Bank Hall February 1965, Skipton November 1966, Carnforth February and then Tebay in May1967, back to Carnforth in January 1968 where it was withdrawn the following August right at the end of main line steam. It went to Woodham’s at Barry and details of its career thereafter are at 75027. Edit: Not a Woodham's engine - see 75027

img3170 TM Neg Strip 62 75027 local train Bournemouth West 8 Jun 62 copyright Final.jpg

Loads of atmosphere in this photo of M7 30328 on the 11.08 Brockenhurst to Bournemouth Central at Poole on 8th June 1962 – but that doesn’t feel right. Poole comes after Bournemouth Central so this must surely have been a Bournemouth to Poole train? However, 30328 was a Bournemouth engine from July 1961 which moved to Tunbridge Wells West in January 1963 where it was withdrawn in the following March. (SLS). The RO report it at Eastleigh Works and cut up there week ending 15th June 1963.

img3171 TM Neg Strip 62 30328 11.08 Brockenhurst - Bournemouth Central.  Poole 8 Jun 62 copyri...jpg

Brian

Last edited:

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Brian.
The train would have taken the back route via Ringwood, Wimbourne and Broadstone to reach Poole and then Bournemouth. I believe that line was the original route before the direct line through Sway was opened.
Dave.

Reactions: AJC

AJC

Western Thunderer
Brian.
The train would have taken the back route via Ringwood, Wimbourne and Broadstone to reach Poole and then Bournemouth. I believe that line was the original route before the direct line through Sway was opened.
Dave.

Though I think this must be the return working as I’m fairly sure that’s the Up platform.

Nice to see one of the Yeovil Us as far away as Bournemouth, too: they seem to have got about fairly often.

Adam

Last edited:

djparkins

Western Thunderer
Though I think this must be the return working as I’m fairly sure that’s the Up platform.

Adam
I would say this is a Brockenhurst to Bournemouth West service and having come off the ‘old road’ via Ringwood (as Dave says) would be at the up platform at Poole having joined the line from Weymouth at Holes Bay Junction

Great photo and reminds me of summer Saturdays spotting at Ringwood or out in the New Forest. The line was very busy then with several light pacific workings to Swanage and Weymouth taking the route to avoid Bournemouth.

Then over to Hurn airport for Bristol Superfrieghters, Viscounts, DC-3s, Heralds, Herons and Doves - bliss! On weekdays there would be FR Seahawks and Canberras too!

I really didn’t have time for school!

Sorry for drifting off!

DJP

timbowales

Western Thunderer
Brian, I would suggest that 75027, being a Templecombe engine and carrying the S&D passenger headcode, is actually on its way back to the S&D?

MarkR

Western Thunderer
Then over to Hurn airport for Bristol Superfrieghters, Viscounts, DC-3s, Heralds, Herons and Doves - bliss! On weekdays there would be FR Seahawks and Canberras too!
I think the FRU had Supermarine Scimitars around this time as well.
Mark

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
A small correction and an addition to the caption of #3170. After 75027 was bought by the late Charlie Pyne, a man remembered by all who ever met him especially on Saturday nights in the Sloop Inn or the Green Man in Horsted Keynes, it was hauled dead by BR from Carnforth to Haywards Heath goods yard for road transport to Sheffield Park. It was never in Woodham's yard. I had the joy of firing the loco (badly I expect) along with David Rider on it's first trip in the summer of 1971 with the late Jack Owen driving, 53 years ago I somewhat astoundingly realise.

In Tim's picture it has an S&D headcode for a passenger train, probably for Bath Green Park.

Unexpectedly wallowing in memories.
Martin

Arun Sharma

Western Thunderer
A small correction and an addition to the caption of #3170. After 75027 was bought by the late Charlie Pyne, a man remembered by all who ever met him especially on Saturday nights in the Sloop Inn or the Green Man in Horsted Keynes,
Would that be The Sloop at Scaynes Hill or was there another one nearer the Bluebell?

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
Arun
Scaynes Hill indeed, it must be 50 odd years since I was last there. I haven't lived in the SE of England for a long time but do I correctly feel that the Weald of Kent and Sussex is a lot less rural than I remember?
Martin

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Rabbit hole mode: ON
Martin, where is the location of the bridge in your avatar please?
Rabbit hole mode: OFF

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
Tony
On the attached map it is the underbridge immediately above the words "Bo'ness Low Junc". The map dates from 1917 and as expected there is a lot less railway at the location than when the map was produced. The mainline from left to right across the centre is the Edinburgh & Glasgow, right and left respectively, and the location is more or less midway between Polmont and Linlithgow.
Martin
Boness Juncs.jpg

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Thank you Dave @Dave Holt for explaining the alternative route to Poole. Although I visited the Bournemouth area quite a lot as a youngster I never investigated the possible routes to and from places so that is useful information as is the comment by Adam @AJC . I appreciate the thought about the Yeovil U as well.

David @djparkins - most helpful additional info and and with Mark @MarkR the potential starting of a rabbit hole regarding Hurn Airport too. Keep 'em coming!

Your comment about 75027, Tim @timbowales is very apposite - we'll shortly be moving to the S & DR which I wanted to keep to myself until we start there but there's no harm in a trailer, is there? And while we're discussing 75027 I have to admit that, due to downright laziness, I didn't check the full history of the loco and made an assumption (which would probably have been correct for 95% of our preserved locos), so thanks for the correction and memories Martin @Martin Shaw and for the additional bit, Arun.

We're not quite on the S & D yet but getting close!

Here's 35021, New Zealand Line entering Poole on a train from Bournemouth on 8th June 1962 overtaking what I believe to be a Standard Class 4 2-6-0. 35021 had been a Bournemouth engine since June 1957 and was withdrawn at the beginning of August 1965. It was scrapped in October the same year at R S Hayes/Birds, Tremain Yard, Bridgend. (WHTS and BR Database).

img3172 TM Neg Strip 62 35021 entering stn 12.28 Bournemouth - Waterloo Poole 8 Jun 62 copyrig...jpg

This is original Battle of Britain 34061, 73 Squadron approaching Poole Station with empty stock on 8th June 1962 and passing an LMS 4F 0-6-0 - the first real sign of what's to come even though here still quite firmly in Southern territory. 34061 was allocated to Eastleigh in November 1961, moved to Exmouth Junction in November 1963 and back to Eastleigh in July 1964 where it was withdrawn in mid August the same year. It was scrapped during March 1965 at P Woods (Shipbreaking), Queenborough, Kent which information I believe came from the now defunct Rail UK. BR Database endorses this date. The Railway Observer advises it went to Settle Speakman and Co, also referred to as Woods at Queenborough in February 1965.

img3173 TM Neg Strip 62 34061 approaching stn empty stock 8 Jun 62 copyright Final.jpg

M7 30112 on a freight train at Poole on 8th June 1962 although I suspect the loco is actually shunting. The information about the loco here is a bit confusing as it’s shown as allocated to Guildford in April 1951 and then again in April 1962 but with no allocation between. Then it was apparently allocated to the Western Region in January 1963 and withdrawn in February. (SLS). In any event the RO advises it went to Eastleigh Works where it was cut up week ending 6th April 1963. BR Database agrees with the month of scrapping. This is such a routine, everyday shot of the time now all gone

img3174 TM Neg Strip 62 30112 on freight Poole 8 Jun 62 copyright Final.jpg

Brian

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Brian.
I think all three photos were taken at the Weymouth end of Poole, so the two Bulleids are heading towards Bournemouth.