Prototype Tim Mills' Photos

djparkins

Western Thunderer
Scimitars were infamous for requiring 1000 hours maintenance for every flying hour!
Mark
Yes. I only ever saw pairs parked up there. Never flying. A while after this the sea vixens arrived with that lovely array of colour schemes which (if you model aircraft) Model Alliance covered on a decal sheet released around the time the Airfix SV 48th kit was released. 2-3 subjects on the sheet were of Hurn-based machines.

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
I have a reference that shows 30112 being allocated to Bournemouth (71B) throughout from 1948 to withdrawal in 2/63. Once again, I cannot vouch for the accuracy and other references may show variation, but it may just help. I certainly saw this loco and photographed on a rather grey and wet day it at Bournemouth Central near the loco shed. The date is uncertain, but was 1952-ish. I was a young lad with a simple box-camera and a lot of ambition, but little knowledge of photographic technique! The picture is not of sufficient quality to appear any where except my own album as a happy memory.

Roger

daifly

Western Thunderer
According to The Book of the M7s by Peter Swift, 30112 was allocated to:
1906 Kingston
1931 Guildford
1937 Nine Elms
1948 Bournemouth
1950 Bournemouth
June 1962 Guildford
Withdrawn Feb 63
Scrapped Eastleigh Apr 63

Dave

MarkR

Western Thunderer
while after this the sea vixens arrived with
There used to be a Sea Vixen displayed on a roundabout in Christchurch, I think they were built there.
The Vixen was the last aircraft to take off from Tarrant Ruston airfield before it closed, between Wimborne and Blandford, Flight Refuelling were converting them to pilot-less target drones. When the airfield closed they moved to Hurn, where they remain.
Many apologies for thread drift!!
Mark