SimonD’s workbench

simond

Western Thunderer
They do look good from the photos - are they full depth?

This is just pushed in. There’s a very thin gap where the weight just doesn’t quite sit on the rim of the wheel.

As you can see, the back in nearly flush and a smear of filler would make it so

image.jpg

I need to do a set for the 48xx and the Manor.

I wonder about generating a parametric model that allows the weight to be defined by wheel diameter and number of spokes, but I think it might be more trouble than it’s worth as there are other variables required to fully constrain the design.

I think it’s likely to be quicker to just re-save and modify the existing design for each application.

simond

Western Thunderer
image.jpg

This is the chassis of a possibly unwise acquisition, a 3R 4-2-2, 3047 “Lorna Doone”. All the carrying wheels have unscrewed from their axles and can thus easily be hub insulated.

The drivers are very firmly fixed to their axle and show no signs of unscrewing. The wheels are cast iron, as far as I can tell, and I’d very much like to save them.

I can see no sign of a pin between wheel & axle, but there is a suggestion that the axle has been peened over.

I have given it a bit of blow lamp in case they’re loctited but no obvious effect.

My thought is to drill the axle ends and progressively open out until the wheel will pull off.

Before I get aggressive with it, any bright ideas?

image.jpg

Thanks
Simon

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
As you suggest drill the axle out almost to size which would let it collapse as you drifted it out. The frames look quite robust but a forked support as near the bearing as possible would lessen any chance of distortion.

simond

Western Thunderer
Thanks Ian, the axle is definitely sacrificial in these circumstances. I have a pal coming over later in the day bringing a Brit for some valve gear repair - I’ll ask him for bright ideas, and assuming he hasn’t got a better one, ask him to hold it whilst I drill…

simond

Western Thunderer
The wasn’t really room between frames and wheels but there was plenty of space between the wormwheel and the frames, so I applied Paul’s suggestion & cut the axle there - the added advantage being that it gave me something very convenient to chuck the wheels by whilst drilling the axles out in the Unimat.

image.jpg

As Mr Punch said, “that’s the way to do it”

image.jpg

Paint stripper next!

simond

Western Thunderer
Yes, they do, but they are well hidden behind the outside frames so I’ll lose no sleep over that!

all the other wheels look very much like Walsall castings, I don’t know if these are from that source too. They’ve been nicely turned, though the rim is very thin, suggesting they were “the nearest thing” that could be pressed into service.

The other wheels will need a bit of fine-scaling, the flanges aren’t huge but they are definitely a bit thick, options are to go gently and use the Unimat or grind up a form tool, and use the Haas at work. Or indeed, program the Haas and use a fine point tool.

paulc

Western Thunderer
The wasn’t really room between frames and wheels but there was plenty of space between the wormwheel and the frames, so I applied Paul’s suggestion & cut the axle there - the added advantage being that it gave me something very convenient to chuck the wheels by whilst drilling the axles out in the Unimat.

View attachment 226374

As Mr Punch said, “that’s the way to do it”

View attachment 226375

Paint stripper next!
Dire Straits sung something similar as well , maybe they got the lyric from Mr Punch but then he never got his money for nothing .