SimonD’s workbench

simond

Western Thunderer
This evening’s brief endeavours have produced the 3D model of a box for the speaker, and I have significantly amended the pony truck pivots. Hopeful to get the speaker box printed tomorrow evening. The weather forecast suggests an ideal weekend for modelling, although we do have a couple of events. Progress will be made!

simond

Western Thunderer
I’ve just noticed that the nice cast springs were obviously mastered from etches…

another 3DP part in future.

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
One way to increase the weight at the rear of a 4-4-0 is to use a whitemetal loco crew to the footplate. Unfortunately no good for 0-4-4s.
Yes I already do that and I also give them lead piece bags on the splasher top rather than stowed on the tender locker!

simond

Western Thunderer
Lead sheet firebox crown and under cab floor

If you’re really stuck, arrange the tender as a 4-2-0 with the tender supported directly by the loco - the two leading axles are then in a bogie, and are just along for the ride.

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
Lead sheet firebox crown and under cab floor

If you’re really stuck, arrange the tender as a 4-2-0 with the tender supported directly by the loco - the two leading axles are then in a bogie, and are just along for the ride.

I usually try to cast some lead into the firebox crown but with small boiler types the motor usually fills the space. In my 4mm period I did put the motor in the tender with a drive shaft under the footplate but don’t want the complication now.

On my 240 class I did arrange the tender to bear on the loco made easy by the single bogie arrangement.

85E30240-4091-4557-8225-EA5D3AD92D9C.jpeg

simond

Western Thunderer
It would be fair to say that yesterdays efforts were not as productive as intended. The brakes were an utter pig, and, having tamed that particularly malodorous beast, I found that they effectively blocked access to refit the pony trucks.

Sorted that this afternoon, and put it on the track to discover that it has now acquired an intermittent short.

Probably one of the brake hangers to an adjacent wheel, but I have not yet tracked it down. Most frustrating. I suspect that if it is not easily sorted, I will model the brake hangers and shoes on CAD, and simply 3D print them. Brass is daft in such a location, where there is so little clearance. At least I now have a good solution.

There were other irritations along the way, all of which conspired to rather spoil the rattle can black. It’ll repaint.

Ho hum.

simond

Western Thunderer
This rebuild is throwing up all sorts of unexpected obstacles. I feel like Victor Meldrew, “would you belieeeeve it?”

image.jpg

The pony truck one-sided wheelie is caused by

a) free play of Slaters wheelsets on 0MF track, the gauge is actually 31.34 at that point, despite the radius being 6’ - it’s the tightest bit of the loco shed, and a short coupled wheelbase. There is next to no sideplay between wheelsets and frames.

b) tight radius - 6’ or thereabouts as mentioned.

c) no vertical springing on the truck, and no extra weight.

d) no centring springing on the truck

e) the frame of the truck hitting the inside of the frame on which I was about to mount the cylinders.

please ignore the jaunty angle of the vacuum pump, which was on the list. If I ever get to it…

I suspect that some pony truck side control might be next on the list of jobs I hadn’t planned to do.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Simon,

Is the pony truck pivot/securing screw causing the pony truck frame to kick up? Perhaps undoing it a couple of turns would allow the truck to hang down and allow the wheels to sit on the track.

simond

Western Thunderer
Simon,

Is the pony truck pivot/securing screw causing the pony truck frame to kick up? Perhaps undoing it a couple of turns would allow the truck to hang down and allow the wheels to sit on the track.
Phil,

have yourself a cigar, or marshmallow or gold star…

I had flipped the pony truck pivot in an attempt to avoid the issue of the front brake crossbeam getting in the way of doing it up, and this seems to have caused the issue, it was hanging a little lower than I’d designed it. I turned up the right way, and installed it on the pony truck, and then threaded it into the cross beam, and tried it again, and the problem has gone away. :)

Now, the cylinders.

simond

Western Thunderer
image.jpg
one side fitted and working! That vacuum pump…

Currently the upper end of the motion bracket is floating, once I get the other side on, I’ll reinstate the plate from the kit that joins and supports them. I suppose I could take that brass rod off, and replace it with something steel coloured.

simond

Western Thunderer
Indeed. There was, iirc, a loco of the same era as the 45’s, an inside cylinder 2-6-2, might have been a Dean design, or a Churchward-whilst-the-old-man-was-still-the-boss design, but either way, I have a feeling it was a one-off.

I guess the engine itself had the innards of a Dean Goods or predecessor of a 57, but that’s speculation on my part.

Now, if I can fit the other cylinder without a further unpleasant surprise, we might make some progress on other locos on the naughty step.