Mickoo's American Modelling Empire

simond

Western Thunderer
The lowest un-sprung mass (modern railways 1960's onward where it became more relevant due to higher speeds and loads) I've seen written in the UK is for class 86 when SAB resilient rubber centered wheels were fitted; the original axle hung ones were close to 2.75 tons and pretty much destroyed a lot of the WCML. I believe the whole fleet were restricted to 80 mph until new wheels were fitted (86/2, 86/1 ....three engines...were fitted with trial class 87 bogies for they operational lives as far as I know), those that were not (86/0, later 86/3 when MU was fitted) remained restricted and allocated to freight diagrams. Modern Railways magazine in the 60-70s often had detailed write ups of all these goings on with loadings and weight/force graphs.

don't forget the not-inconsiderable mass of the brake discs - it's 1988 since I was involved so memories are hazy but I'm thinking of something around 120kg per disc, maybe a bit more. And 2, 3 or even 4 discs per axle

Big Train James

Western Thunderer
There are no retention straps on US truck roller bearings.

The same applies to some UK stock as well.

Not quite true. There are no straps, but there are retainer keys. Or I should say there are provisions for retainer keys. In the US, they are often left uninstalled. So clearly there must not be a mandate for their use. I suspect that they come from the manufacturer installed, and last until the first wheelset replacement.

Missing retainers would be mounted through the inside pedestal jaw, with a fastener through the hole in the bottom.
retainer key missing.jpg

This truck has the retainers installed.
retainer key.jpg

A bit more from the side.
retainer key side elev.jpg

And the key itself.
side-frame-key-500x500.jpg

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Everyday is a school day :cool: Here's one with (RH) and without (LH).

IMG_3972.jpg

Of course the only down side to this new found information......is that I am now compelled to add this feature.

One thing to note in the above truck is that the car is fully loaded, all of the bolster springs are fully compressed, I used to sit in Cajon pass and watch manifests roll by and look to see if they were loaded or empty (I blame the midday sun!), trying to work out why the hell they put empty center beams in the middle of mile long consists and then drag them up a 3% grade and around sharp curves.

I suspect those cars are almost exactly mid train or where buffing forces are close to zero due to the DPU dispositions. I did also on several occasions look for the one or two slack couplers mid train where the change from pulling to pushing occurs (again the midday sun may have been a factor in this activity), I never did find it, but I did notice couplers pulled right out at the head end and right in at the tail end ahead of the DPU's.

on the side of the draft box there is drift key through the coupler to retain it in the pocket, much like the bearing key. The key moves in a slot depending on load, it's a little detail I want to try and add to some of my stock, which of course means hacking Kaydee's and a new form of draft box assembly.

IMG_3990.jpg

One other aspect not often modeled is the bright face to the inside of the wheel rim, caused by passing through guarded frogs I suspect.

IMG_7184.jpg

IMG_3935.jpg

IMG_4036.jpg

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
I think if you look closely in the video posted above you can see the guy putting the retainers in for lifting the two bogies without all the wheels falling out?

JB.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I think if you look closely in the video posted above you can see the guy putting the retainers in for lifting the two bogies without all the wheels falling out?

JB.
Well, being a smug git and thinking there were none, I didn't actually watch the video....yet :))

Big Train James

Western Thunderer
I don't see him put anything in place, but I do hear him say that the chains are in to retain the truck assembly, and then that the frame keys are good, the frame key being what I showed above. So one way or another, everything is held in place at least temporarily.

This is another video that I think is pretty neat, and they do a decent job of explaining what the process is and what parts are involved.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
on the side of the draft box there is drift key through the coupler to retain it in the pocket, much like the bearing key. The key moves in a slot depending on load, it's a little detail I want to try and add to some of my stock, which of course means hacking Kaydee's and a new form of draft box assembly.

If you are using Kadees then the easy way is to make 3D prints of the keys and a representation of the slot and stick them on the sides of the draft box. However the Kadee draft box is wider than the scale Protocraft version to allow for the coupler bar swing.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
If you are using Kadees then the easy way is to make 3D prints of the keys and a representation of the slot and stick them on the sides of the draft box. However the Kadee draft box is wider than the scale Protocraft version to allow for the coupler bar swing.
The plan was to have the coupler drift key as part of the coupler shank so that it moved back and forth under load, perhaps a step too far :eek:

mickoo

Western Thunderer
By complete surprise I have been gifted this little gem. Overall I'm not one for what I call the 'critter' brigade and would normally walk right past this sort of stuff, but it is kind of growing on me and i may have a use for it on the layout.

It's in the right colours and Railroad plus, very nicely made with respectable detailing for a brass model, I believe these are all RTR short run models from Rich Yoder.

The fly in the ointment is that SP #1 whilst being a genuine 1:1 engine should be (as far as my limited research today has shown) 36" narrow gauge, indeed the RTR models do also come in On3 gauge as stock, google shows those up readily, less so the O gauge version.

SP did run a small 36" gauge railway for many years with 4-6-0 engines, quite dinky and appealing, sadly the location is some remote and far from the hubbub of industry I'd like to model. I think #1 was the last engine they purchased for that line which closed a while after it's arrival. I have no idea if #1 then became converted to standard gauge or went into preservation as a 36" version aka remained 36" gauge through out or went standard and then back to 36". The two types of trucks are readily available and fully interchangeable from what I've read.

The only alternative is rule #1 and sod it it was re-gauged and used as is or look for a SP standard gauge prototype and renumber. There are very similar versions on SP in standard gauge but most are noted as 70T engines, not sure on the detail differences but a lot of these critters seem to be a mish mash of bespoke bits cross pollinated across several types.

IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

Either way, it's a very nice RTR model with DC/DCC (auto detect) and I believe sound too and in factory fresh mint condition.

Last edited:

Northroader

Western Thunderer
I gather it was built as a standard gauge GE 50 tonner, and had 3’ bogies, whoops - trucks, fitted to work the Laws branch, then ended up in Mexico. It’s looks great as a standard gauge job, though, just right.

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Go on.
Go 3 foot.
You know it's the right thing to do.
I'll even lend you the book.........
You will get a lot more railroad into your batcave.
20220328_163433resize.jpg20220328_163450resize.jpg

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I gather it was built as a standard gauge GE 50 tonner, and had 3’ bogies, whoops - trucks, fitted to work the Laws branch, then ended up in Mexico. It’s looks great as a standard gauge job, though, just right.
Appreciated, I didn't think Rich Yoder would do a standard gauge version if there wasn't a prototype, this RTR looks to be near the top end quality wise and not the sort of shinanigans of Atlas and MTH trainset going on's.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Go on.
Go 3 foot.
You know it's the right thing to do.
I'll even lend you the book.........
You will get a lot more railroad into your batcave.
View attachment 159184View attachment 159187
I might get the book anyway, I like books and one day...you never know ;).

I do like the SP 4-6-0's

SP 0008.jpg

Full of character and charm :thumbs:

More railroad, I thought about that and I don't think you will, it's still O gauge, buildings, scenery and real estate are all still the same size/volume.

You'll gain with tighter curves but how much tighter, some of the modern standard gauge freight cars will go around 150 radius curves for real, which is scale 3 foot so model compensated wise lets say 24", you'd not want to send GEVO's or ACes round that but the GE-50T or the MP15 would be more at home.

Curves are a funny thing, sharp curves have less impact the lower you are in relation the model ground level, I aim to be around 48" layout height, both JB and Jason noted higher layouts sneak tighter curves past the eye better.

I'm limiting myself to shorter stock for that reason, 24" is too tight unless it's partially hidden between buildings lets say, coupling and uncoupling on those sorts of curves will be hard so they'll not be in car spotting places as such.

A lot of the import brass won't go below 72" so they're out of the equation and has kind of split the hobby into two distinct areas, the collection and the play trains/layout.

I can't keep wishing for more space and dreaming of sweeping curves and 100 car trains, I've had to get tighter and closer, not a bad thing and a gradual process for sure but at least it's something achievable.