Mickoo's American Modelling Empire

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Hi James

I've been going to Chicago on business for over 20 years and I have finally timed a visit to coincide with the show, so I'm going, I hope to see you there, I'm dragging Scale 7 JB with me too for a boys weekend away.

Richard

Tim Humphreys ex Mudhen

Western Thunderer
Thank you.

For many years I was an avid flight sim enthusiast, siming/commercial developer and it has to be said, there was a strong chance in the early planning days where the width would have grown and the length shortened (square area is limited by local planning rules) to perhaps accommodate a DIY B737 simulator, probably an NG as they're a lot mini screens and you don't have to source as many authentic analogue gauges.

The second one you have to click the link as remote viewing isn't enabled.

Perhaps in another lifetime ;)

Mick,
What's a ball-park figure for building something like this?
Tim

Big Train James

Western Thunderer
You told me we were going on a pub crawl..?!
I can't believe you fell for that again.....:eek::cool::D

I will be sharing a table with another fellow, so at a minimum we can connect that way. I'm waiting to find out where exactly it is though, I currently have no idea.:oops: I handled the hotel reservation, he handled the show registration. We'll get it sorted out though.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
I can't believe you fell for that again.....:eek::cool::D

I will be sharing a table with another fellow, so at a minimum we can connect that way. I'm waiting to find out where exactly it is though, I currently have no idea.:oops: I handled the hotel reservation, he handled the show registration. We'll get it sorted out though.
I’m sure amongst the 300+ tables we’ll find you. What have you got to sell?

JB.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Mick,
Tim
I have no idea, but a second mortgage might be required :))

It was just something I always wanted but never really looked into, probably because I sort of knew I'd never be able to afford it. They're certainly long term projects.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Hi James

I've been going to Chicago on business for over 20 years and I have finally timed a visit to coincide with the show, so I'm going, I hope to see you there, I'm dragging Scale 7 JB with me too for a boys weekend away.

Richard
In best Baldrick mode, I'm thinking of a cunning plan :cool:

How big a suitcase are you taking? No I don't want to hide in it!! :rolleyes:

Deano747

Western Thunderer
Mick,
Tim
A colleague of mine has a fixed base but fully functional, with graphics, 747-400 and IIRC has cost about £80000 so far with a few minor details to add. He's hoping to get approval for basic training, so it's a serious bit of kit!

Edit to say it came in kit form with no instructions, so I assume it was second hand. I'll ask him later.

Regards, Rob.

SimonT

Western Thunderer
I remember a 400 flight deck being removed in one piece off a scrapper at Kemble 2010ish. Unusual as once the smaller bits had been removed and all that was left was an aluminium airfame, they attacked it with disc saws and a very large digger.

adrian

Flying Squad
A colleague of mine has a fixed base but fully functional, with graphics, 747-400 and IIRC has cost about £80000 so far with a few minor details to add. He's hoping to get approval for basic training, so it's a serious bit of kit!

That's been the one downside about working from home - I was spoilt with this serious bit of kit and I got paid to use it!! :D:rolleyes:

Sadly limited access at the moment as we are still predominately working from home.
1498081187-26b0bc52f1ccdd30592e64d788e985e7-600x498.jpg

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Back on piste, with the advent and reality of a space for a layout fast approaching it was time to take stock....of the stock...I had.

Some of it is too early and has been moved on, some is rather old but has potential and some of it is more modern. The two basic choices are a depot type layout or an industrial switching.

I've opted for the latter simply because I don't realistically have the space for a depot to support my articulated engines, which really do need a decent turntable in the order of 130'. I could probably get away with a through line diesel depot like Oakland or the fuel lines at Taylor and I may try and squeeze a 2 road fuel point in somewhere.

Industrial allows for authentic tighter curves, for example several 2 bay hoppers will go around a 3' scale curve in real life, probably not with an engine, more like a track mobile as traction.

With that in mind and space constraints (never thought I'd say 17' x 7' L shaped was constrained) I've restricted stock to 60' as much as possible and prefer lower around the 56' margin. There's plenty of stock in that ball park, historical and modern to suit my needs, typically tanks, boxcars, bulkend flats and covered hoppers.

That kind of sets the grand scheme of things of where I'd like to head, track will be OW5, that which is visible (not covered by roadways, sand, soil, dirt, whatever, will be hand laid and spiked through 3D tie plates, the rest will be flat bottom flexi track. Location has to be fairly generic so that SP, ATSF, UP or CSX can run. Florida and LA are on pretty much the same Latitude so vegetation can be generic, I found it surprising for example to find fir trees in Florida to be honest.

Stock, I'll concentrate on covered hoppers for the time being, mainly because I have a handful of Weaver ACF 4 bays to hand, they're older RTR models and can be picked up cheap here and there. To be honest they are rather toy like with molded grab rails, thick side sheets and solid roof walkways and I had sort of dismissed them as viable options for modeling, however, more detailed versions are quite frankly, expensive, hard to come by in the UK and high shipping prices on top from the US.

Before we go further we do need to sort out what sort of industry we want to portray because that does have an impact on the stock, especially covered hoppers. These come in a bewildering range of sizes, capacities, weights, and manufacturers but I'm going to stick with ACF/ARI as they fit the Weaver model.

The following is a generalization, more bays does not mean a bigger car, there are 3 bay cars physically bigger then 4 bays and there are five bay cars the same size as fours. The number of bays is dependent on the floor slope angle which is dependent on the projected cargo to become fluid on discharge.

Generally speaking, cars fall into three categories, small/mini, large and jumbo dependent on their volumetric capacity. The over riding criteria is weight, the heavier the cargo the small the car, thus, small/mini's are nearly always 2 bay or short three bays, large are the three and four bay cars, jumbo can be three with shallow floors but typically 4 and 5 bay.

Typical cargoes are;

Small, sand, cement, perlite, roofing granules.
Large, corn, wheat, starch, malt, sugar.
Jumbo, oats, dry distiller grain, soybean meal, plastic pellets.

So if you're modelling a cement works you'll not see large or jumbo cars, similarly if you're modelling a soda drinks bottling factory you won't see small cars, you'll see jumbos with plastic pellets for example.

As an aside, BNSF operates one of the biggest covered hopper unit trains in the world (due to it's all brown covered hopper consist it goes by the nickname of 'the worm'), using large hoppers filled with grain for export it typically runs from the mid west to LA I believe. A full train can gross over 18,000T and typically runs a 5x3x2 set up, this one was under the limit and running 4x3x2 at West Amboy CA.

BNSF 6789.jpg

Even empty heading back through Winslow AZ it needs three units up front.

IMG_5709.jpg

Back on track now, the Weaver four bay is going to be to big for my needs and a recent FB chop shop showed that you can carve up the Weaver model to make two and three bay hoppers from ACF/ARI.

Basically we're going to take this......

IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0901.jpg

IMG_0902.jpg

......and turn them in to these.

Twp bays.

IMG_5225.jpg

IMG_6244.jpg

IMG_6518.jpg

The last BNSF image has black powder around the loading hatches, as did others either side, my best guess is that it's loaded with roofing granules, fine crushed stone basically.

Three bay.

IMG_3500.jpg

IMG_4245.jpg

IMG_5028.jpg

The last SSW image is interesting as it shows the ACF style car with side cill beams to take the loading and buffing forces, the cars either side are a different design and called Thrusill, basically a big beam runs down the middle of the car to take loading, those I may approach later if needed.

There are several types of outlet gate and loading hatch, those will get defined when i finally decide on my industry and traffic flow.

The basic hack is to simply cut thew middle out of the car and join them together at the appropriate length, replace the molded foot steps with wire and detail some pipework, they can come out quite nice and if it all goes Pete Tong, it's only (in this case) £15 in the bin.

I want to try something different, new etched walkways are a must, replace all the end cage supports with brass angle and new steps, probably change the end bulkheads with brass and associated webs and alter the side ribbing and the lower cill to tie in with the new brass end pieces.

The Weaver model has a thin rib below the main upper cill, this denotes a car built before 1971, after 1971 the lower single rib was removed and two new thinner ones added to the top cill, it's an easy fix to do and brings the car forward to a more modern day era. The discharge gates will get replaced as will the loading hatches with 3D prints.

Without further ado, it's time to actually do some stuff, out with the razor saw and let hacking begin, more soon hopefully.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Mick

Surely you can just buy those 2 bay hoppers ?

I'm sure I have seen them on ebay ?

Richard
Yeah you can and normally I would take the easy option and splash the cash, but at typically $100-125 (if you can find any 2R or 3R.....extra conversion cost....for that matter) a pop and still suffering the same RTR clunky handrails and details I'll try a couple like this first.

I'm not even sure the RTR ones are ACF/ARI, I've a feeling they're Thrusills which I'm not overly keen on to be honest.

Besides I want to develop more etched ones in the future for cars not available as RTR and this'll be good practice and I feel like doing some modelling for a change :))

Tongue in cheek, you could say the same about your (and my stash of kits) GP9, why go to all the effort of building and painting a kit when you could just buy Atlas, MTH, Lionel, 3rd rail etc.

I know exactly why, because you enjoy the build and detailing and you know the end product will be better than any RTR offering, that probably includes imported brass which are not as good or detailed as some aspects of the RC model.

In simple terms, I'm doing it because I can, not because I have to.

Last edited: