NHY 581

Western Thunderer
My (admittedly limited) understanding of this issue was that the "certain circumstances" could be narrowed down to "whenever power is applied"... ;) :)

Indeed. The previous 'manufacturer ' DJM, AKA Distinctly Juddery Mechanisms produced decent enough bodies ( though none I believe were without issue) but the chassis were over complicated.

However, these EFE examples appear fit and well.

Rob

Last edited:

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning all,

With Ewe's recent appearance at SWAG now a week old, thoughts are now starting to focus on the next exhibitions.

Sheep Dip is at the Exe MRS show at the Matford centre at the end of June.

Screenshot_20220502-095128_Samsung Internet.jpg

In addition, Bleat Wharf is at the Penarth show at st Cyres school the week after......
Screenshot_20220502-095656_Samsung Internet.jpg

AdeMoore

Western Thunderer
Class J15 0-6-0 No.65447 languishes at Laxfield Station on the Mid-Suffolk Light Railway on 5th July 1952 a few weeks before closure. Credit: G.R.Mortimer

8C55ED66-85AD-4D06-9865-F6739FBA92FF.jpeg

I know you don’t do passenger Rob, but your layout style on Ewe is written all over that photo.
Your static grass and road look just like that!
Great to see it last weekend.

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
Class J15 0-6-0 No.65447 languishes at Laxfield Station on the Mid-Suffolk Light Railway on 5th July 1952 a few weeks before closure. Credit: G.R.Mortimer

View attachment 162349

I know you don’t do passenger Rob, but your layout style on Ewe is written all over that photo.
Sorry to intrude, but that lovely photo of Laxfield prompts me to share this, the original John Watson P4 layout of 'Laxfield', now with members of our local S4 group.
20210714_142703.jpg

NHY 581

Western Thunderer

View attachment 162349

Morning Ade.

Thanks. That's a really lovely image. I'm not averse to passenger workings and something as per the above is right up Sheep Street but Ewe limits that somewhat !

If I go ahead with something small and Southern region next, then that will most definitely feature passenger workings....and Terriers

But, left field, I have all the stock for a proper East Anglian BLT in green diesel days...................Derby lightweights etc....

Rob.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
However, further to the above, I have a need to finish off Ewe which still has a few things left undone. In addition, both Bleat Wharf and Sheep Dip have a few exhibition appearances ahead of them and both need a bit of tweaking before I’m happy to put them in front of the paying public.

The exhibitions this year are as follows..........

Sheep Dip-Exeter. Matford centre. 25/26th June 2022.

Bleat Wharf- Penarth. St Cyres school 2/3rd July 2022.

Bleat Wharf-Exmoor. Minehead 6th August 2022.

Sheep Dip-Cardiff Show. Ice arena Wales 20/21st August 2022.

Bleat Wharf-Taunton Railex. 22/23rd October 2022.

Hopefully over the next couple of months I can sort out both. The additional tweaking mainly revolves around the buildings and arises from the simple fact that since I originally painted and weathered them, the way I finish buildings has changed slightly. I want to therefore bring them into line with more recent efforts.

Both layouts could also do with a slight refresh on the scenics as well. Then it’s just stock. Bleat is primarily a S&DJR layout but I would like to operate it in it’s alternative Ex-SR mode now and again. This will use “a selection of ex-Southern small tank engines”. Probably B4s, Ps and the odd (?) Terrier for variety. So one of each will be weathered as per. I also have to pluck up the courage to “distress” my lovely ex-Midland 1P, 58072. Very much a S&D signature engine. This will accompany the existing 3F and 4F.

So plenty to be going on with.

Rob.

Last edited:

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Mange Tout.

I have acquired another diesel, to add to the slowest burn project of them all. Way, way down the line but one must take the opportunity when in Rome..........or in this particular case, when in Prague........

A photo of the actual loco in question.

Screenshot_20220504-200053_Samsung Internet-01.jpeg

Rob.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning all and further to my last, also lovin' the telegraph poles. Off to the Telegraph Pole Society website............

simond

Western Thunderer
I recall that Jim Snowden did a very comprehensive article on telegraph poles. I don’t recall where….

give me a moment or several.

simond

Western Thunderer
Well, if I did, it‘s in a place so safe that I can’t find it.

there are some technical references to telegraph poles and associated gubbins on the other place, a load of pdfs available for download.

Shame, Jim’s article was pretty comprehensive.