NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Hi Tim,

Pretty much. 1197 has what looks to be quite a decent gearbox when viewed from below. I'll know more when I lift the body.

571 is more basic.

Both run smoothly but can be a bit stoppy starty. I suspect the pick ups, those on 571 are particularly ropey............

But, as you say, they do look very good.

Rob.

Nick Rogers

Western Thunderer
Evening Rob,

Lovely little locomotives. They look quite at home there. Equally, I must stop looking at GWR liveried things!!

All the best,

Nick.

Flymo748

Morning all.

If nothing else, it will provide practice for the High Level Pug chassis conversion currently on it's way..........

Rob.

Morning Rob,

If you'd like a run through of the Pug chassis build, I documented my build (quite a few years ago!) over on the Scalefour Society forum. As with almost everything over there, the posts are viewable by folk who aren't members of the Society.

High Level Pug build story

It was a lovely kit to build - fiddly, as all of Chris's locos are, but very satisfying. And it runs well as well.

Enjoy!
Paul

Missing words

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob, may I ask where you obtained the lovely GW 517 and what is its origin? Lovely engines.
Thanks
Julian

Morning Julian,

It's from a large collection of locos currently being sold by Lord and Butler in Cardiff. 1930s GWR is not really my thing but I couldn't leave it there when I saw it.

As to the origins, I'm not sure. I've not tampered with it as of yet. Too many other things on the go at present so it will probably stay as is for now. Main area of concern are the pick ups which I'll need to resolve.

Otherwise, very happy with it.

Rob.

Last edited:

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning Rob,

If you'd like a run through of the Pug chassis build, I documented my build (quite a few years ago!) over on the Scalefour Society forum. As with almost everything over there, the posts are viewable by folk who aren't members of the Society.

High Level Pug build story

It was a lovely kit to build - fiddly, as all of Chris's locos are, but very satisfying. And it runs well as well.

Enjoy!
Paul

Thanks Paul.

It's a little way off yet but I will undoubtedly be referring to your article when I do.

Rob.