7mm The Derby Line - Rolling Stock

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Nice one Tony...

I wish I had the patience to write stories up, even for the S7 mag let alone the MRJ (if they were interested)..

JB.

dibateg

Western Thunderer
This morning I tried out my new Nimrod blowtorch to change the top feed on Alan's Scot. I wanted to preserve the paint as much as possible, so a rudimentary heat shield was made up from a bean tin.. I managed just to get the casting hot enough to drop off without any collateral damage..

IMG_20150402_084443363.jpg

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
I know it's the camera angles, but in those photos, it makes the cab roof and tender appear to lean forward alarmingly

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
All joking aside about the photo your weathering job really is spot on pal. I especially like the oily rods and motion parts and the subtle changes in tones are wonderful :bowdown::bowdown::thumbs: looking forward to seeing the classmates.

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Thanks guys - the rail that looks straight along the bottom of the photo is actually a just less than 6 foot radius curve...

pete waterman

Western Thunderer
Tony I think the point you make about how old the kit is, is very important and something that the O gauge guild should look at. As you say there was nothing wrong with the DJH kit as long as you know its of its time that's fine. But kits have moved on a long way from then. Now most kits are more thought out than back then and with the locos coming in from the far east things have changed. I understand that DJH would not want to redo there old kits but why. I'm going though all my old kits and up dating them. The old Chowbent stuff is well past it sell by date and we know it. That's why most of the stuff is no longer on the market. We are re doing the Black 5 and the L& Y A class and redoing the instructions for the crab. The good news about these forums is that we can get feed back. When we get things wrong we should be able to put them right! But it does take a little longer than you would think and etches are now a nightmare. It gets harder every day to get things done at a price that modellers will pay for. An age code on a kit would at least warn you that it will be old technology. Has the day of the all etch kits gone ! I think so, cast spring and brakes and things like that make the kit more expensive but easer and quicker to build and should give you better results. What is a problem for all of us that like to model as opposed to playing trains is how many guys are retiring and selling there kits on this then compounds the problem as if you've just paid good money for a range of kit the last thing you want, is start to spend money redoing them you will want a return for your cash. kits will become more expensive as they become more modern 2d artwork is long gone art form and company's that don't use computers are fading fast. My good friend Steve does a good job at pestering us for new kits but he also knows the cost.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Pete, on the whole I tend to agree, but feel that etched work still has it's place, a good example would be cab side sheets, roofs and footplates, however resin castings for other areas are better, smoke box doors maybe even whole cylinder castings.

As a whole, I think the model railway scene needs to move forward and accept a more multimedia make up to the kits, much like the military scene does already. The hardest part I've found is finding a suitable adhesive to affix multimedia parts, which is probably why many prefer brass or white metal castings, simply from an adhesive choice and ease of use.

I also agree on kit updating, as you say, people demand more these days.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Regaridng the 9f photos, I think the high shoulders of the firebox front are also compounding the visuals, the sloping and multi faceted cab sides and front are not helping either. Good model, lovely weathering :thumbs:

Ian G

Western Thunderer
Many an etch kit out on the market need an upgrade, but many can't afford a plastic/resin multimedia loco kit, some kits i would leave on the trade stand, but others are worth the challenge.

Ian G

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the comments guys - my two kits have been in the cupboard for some time, so it was build them or dispose of them. If I had the choice - and the available money ( and was in full time work ) I would have waited for the MOK 9F. I think I've got a reasonable result from the starting point that I had. One I will be saving my pennies for is the MOK Stanier tank, again, I doubt it will be cheap, but will be a joy to build I'm sure.
Coming next will be a Seven Crostie, and from the reports from 'A West Midland Works' it will be a challenge. I suppose a thing to consider is that many kits are provided by cottage industry/one man band operations, so with a small market base there will be compromises to meet the cost.
Anyway I enjoy a challenge!

92204, I tried to get all the WR features, step plate over the reverser shaft, ATC conduit, modified ejector, etc. It is distinctly different from my Annesley pair 92031/92069.

Best Regards
Tony