SimonD’s workbench

simond

Western Thunderer
I was putting this off. The GW versions of the Cowans Sheldon 15t crane (and, afaik, all others the6 had) were fitted with cabs. The kit doesn’t provide, so scratch...

image.jpg

if I were doing it again (and I’m not doing it again!) I think I could make it a wee bit better, but I’m reasonably happy with it.

atb
Simon

AJC

Western Thunderer
That’s very splendid indeed, Simon. I have a 4mm one in the drawer (picked up for an absolute song) that is waiting on Brassmasters to put out their detailing kit. It’s been nearly 10 years now...

Adam

simond

Western Thunderer
Thanks Adam, that’s kind. I’m not sure “splendid” is deserved. I’m going with “adequate” :)

There was talk of Brassmasters doing a 7mm match truck too, but holding ones breath is not advised. Hence the hybrid plastic brass affair, that might yet be redone in brass. Or I might do an etch. Again, breath holding inadvisable.

There really isn’t as much info about these as you might hope. I believe they were vac fitted (or maybe just piped) but I don’t know when, and there seems to be few photos from early days. I’ll probably just use my imagination!

atb
Simon

AJC

Western Thunderer
I do make a point of mentioning the crane (and I know I'm not alone) whenever I see the Brassmaster's team - been a while, of course - but the match truck (built and painted an age ago) might be a bit easier in the larger scale... They're an interesting beast, and long-lived: at least one sported wasp stripes, but don't ask me whether it was piped, it's too far away!

1966MAR05RWBR001cs.jpg

Mine will - eventually - be modelled like that.

Adam

simond

Western Thunderer
Thanks Adam, I’d found that one, and as you say, not hugely revealing of details.

if I find anything useful, I’ll post some links.

Atb
Simon

Reactions: AJC
Jobs that need doing...

simond

Western Thunderer
Job#1. The louvres on the loco shed need doing. I been putting it off because early attempts were unsatisfactory, and thought that I might try etching, but MissD suggested a couple of approaches, and I had another go with the laser.

three experiments later, I think we have something that will do.

image.jpg

Fiddly business!

image.jpg

but I think it looks quite good.

image.jpg

not convinced about the glazing.

simond

Western Thunderer
Thanks all,

the glazing is currently 1.5mm acrylic, etched to provide grooves/texture for the frames to be glued to. I was tossing up between doing “bays” of 5 panes, or longer lengths, up to a whole length of A4, 3 or 4 bays.

I think I’d like to get down to about half the thickness, and sticking to the 5-pane bays. I’ll need to see what I can find, ideally something that laser cuts.

I’ve assembled a further 6 louvres. That’s 11, only 15 more to go...

cheers
Simon

simond

Western Thunderer
As it’s somewhat displaced at the moment, herewith a few photos of the locoshed. I decided that looking balefully at the uncompleted roof was not going to get it finished, and I have too many half finished, even half baked projects on the go, so a little uncharacteristic self discipline...

firstly, the underside:

image.jpg

the side you don’t get to see

image.jpg

With the workshop & office propped into place

image.jpg

I haven’t started on the roof for this yet. It’s part glazed, part slate.

the hole in the baseboard - yes, I didn’t think about the pits when I designed the baseboard, so it is not exquisite under here. Move along, nothing to see here...

image.jpg

rather a lot of scenicifying required round the back....

and the roof:

image.jpg

Which now has lights. I need to paint the light wires & resistors black, and fit contacts on the roof that will collect the lights’ power from the two lengths of aluminium angle that are epoxied to the top of the walls to stop them bowing inwards. I’ve just fitted two copper wires up the inside of the walls, which will be retained to the ally with 10BA screws, you can see the wires going to the connections on the first photo. These will eventually be suitably disguised as conduits with appropriate switch panels.

To complete the roof, I need to finish & fit the smoke hoods, I made the clerestory vents last weekend, and I purchased some 0.5 and 1mm PETG sheet from Kitronic, which is the same stuff that Tim W used for the glazed gallery he’s doing for Copenhagen Fields. It’ll look better than the 1.5 mm acrylic.

Slates are laser cut in strips from a slightly metallic grey art card, over sprayed with grey, purple and green washes, I need to mark out the roof so they get fitted in straight rows!

At some point I need to glaze it. That’ll be a laugh, not. There are 240 main panes to fit, 3 larger ones, and 96 smaller, plus the glass either side of the smoke hoods over the doors.

I have started the artwork for the etched door hinges and roof walkway supports, so I’ll get that finished and off to PPD at some point.

if anyone’s got a Dean goods boiler they don’t need, I have a home for it, under the very tall chimney!

more soon
Simon

simond

Western Thunderer
image.jpg

that’s the side panel laminations made. And a few spares.

it does make me think that coach building in David Jenkinson style, but from laser cut card, rather than plastic, may well be feasible. I glued these by using blue evo stik wood glue, laboriously applied be cocktail stick, but if the fret were more complex, I think spray glue would be the way to go.

The two assemblies that I put in the jigs in the above post have had well over an hour to dry, so I’m going to risk making another pair tonight.

et Voila!

image.jpg

Last edited:

simond

Western Thunderer
Not so much on the workbench, but soo to be so, the smoke hoods have been made, and now need to be fitted. I’m aiming to fit them removeably, so I can spray them a suitably claggy colour on the inside, and smoke stained on the outside over something paler.

Currently just resting in place

image.jpg

Sorry, horribly dark photo, but you get the idea.

and in the silly department, less than thirty quid bought some impending entertainment.

image.jpg

Big Big Blue Flyer. Green & small yellow ends, diy motor bogies and r/c, I think. Won’t be superdetailed, but will make some pretence to a decent standard. Should be a giggle, and a reminder of my yoof. :)

simond

Western Thunderer
Not so much the workbench but the coffee table...

smoke hood assemblies, glue drying. I was worried that they’d be the wrong length, but over 850mm the chimneys are within a millimetre as far as I can tell. We’ll see when they’re glued into the roof, which may be this evening.

image.jpg

there are points for recognising the books, and the god. Some may be easier than others. Points may mean prizes on R4, but not here :)

and clerestory louvres, painted & also ready to add to the roof.

image.jpg

a pleasing morning’s “work”

more soon
Simon

Last edited: