4mm Polsarrett: BR(S) N Cornwall Clay, The Final Countdown

LSWR cottage colour prototype photo

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Nice colour photo of the cottage in the background.

rps20211230_102418.jpg
https://flic.kr/p/QKtVeo

I'm thinking that the guttering and gable end timber was probably green. I'm also going to introduce a bit more creamy colour to the render and knock the black back in the final weathering. One of the doors on the left gable can be seen open - looks a very pale green.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Having cut a chunk out of the baseboard front so the cottage wall can come flush with the front, this left the wall 9mm too short. So, whilst adding an extra section to the it nearest the railway, I also added a headwall for the drainage pipe that will discharge into the ditch.

IMG_20211230_120903.jpg

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Nice colour photo of the cottage in the background.

View attachment 154103

I'm thinking that the guttering and gable end timber was probably green. I'm also going to introduce a bit more creamy colour to the render and knock the black back in the final weathering. One of the doors on the left gable can be seen open - looks a very pale green.

Where's Wally Chris ?

Please see above image. Just not used to seeing him in glasses........

LSWR cottage doors

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Making doors innit...

rps20211230_175325.jpg
Oversized plasticard scrap placed behind the opening and the opening size marked on it. Holes drilled where the upper glazed area will be. 2x 20x30 and 2x 20x60 thou strips cut.

rps20211230_175348.jpg
Opening cut out slightly larger than the glazed area.

rps20211230_175423.jpg
20x30 thou placed on edge as the door frame. 20x60 thou placed flat up against it. The 20x60 strip covers part of the window opening.

rps20211230_175448.jpg
Repeat on the other side. At this stage whilst the solvent is still setting I offer the door into the opening and adjust the frame to fit snugly.

rps20211230_175519.jpg
The top of the frame is fitted using some 20x60 thou on edge. Next is a short piece of 20x60 across the top of the window opening, followed by a 20x80 across the base of the door. In the left hand door you can see that another horizontal of 20x80 has been fitted under the window opening and a vertical piece of 20x60 below it to divide the lower panel into two.

rps20211230_175550.jpg
Turning one door over you can see a rebate is formed for the glazing. Now by accident I discovered that the clear plastic used by PECO in their packing only mildly reacts to MEK. So anything you think is fixed to it actually isn't.

I'm using this to my advantage and temporary fixing some to the rear of the door to fit inside the rebate. I then fit the glazing bars on the other side using 15x20 thou. I'll leave these to harden off over night and then pop the glazing to paint the door. After this new glazing will be fitted.

Last edited:

JasonBz

Western Thunderer
Nice local* number plate on the Anglia there !
For anorak wearers like myself the Truro registered RL and CV number plates always seemed to be more "Mid Cornwall" and the AF ones from further down west.....But maybe that is just my impression, not the real reality.....

* I was thinking PRL could stand for Polsarrett Railway Layout ;)

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Well there we go, another year gone. Another year with some modelling projects completed and others, well, not.

Nice to have moved both Polsarrett and Pencarrow on a bit, particularly as Polsarrett is out (hopefully) in April to its first show. A highlight was winning the virtual Gauge 0 Guide scenics/building comp for the Pencarrow wharf buildings. Nice.

Covid is still with us and has been visiting the house in the last week. Hopefully next year will be better, with Covid being more manageable and less disruptive. Fingers crossed hey?!

Anyway, wishing all a happy new year and good health.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
HNY to all.

Had a bit of a mare the other day as I managed to put a finger through one of the windows whilst working on the doors. Repair made and, to prevent reoccurrence, thick glazing sheet now stuck behind each window with superglue. I've left the protective material on the rear to prevent paint or glue on fingers mucking up the glazing

IMG_20220102_133558.jpg

I've also started making the canopies that go over the doors. Of course each is different...

This one will go over what I assume was the front door.

IMG_20220102_133537.jpg

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Whilst the canopy elements set, I've turned to making stuff for the garden. These items will hardly be seen but will block views of the base of the backscene.

First we have a water butt and its stand. The butt is some Slaters corrugated superglued to a wooden dowel. Both downpipes will be routed into this.

rps20220102_185427.jpg

Second we have the box for what will become a simple shed. Only 2 sides being modelled.

rps20220102_185454.jpg

This is the effect I'm after...

rps20220102_185227.jpg