NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning Pencarrot,

Inspired by the curtains and having woken up nice and early this morning, knowing how busy you are and not wishing you to miss out and all that, I found these for you.

There's something for all occasions here. You need never be far away from your favourite little loco. Win win I say. Screenshot_20240917_061959_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240917_062333_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240917_062356_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240917_062552_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240917_062527_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240917_062506_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240917_062436_Samsung Internet.jpg

There's loads more where they came from. Just let me know if you need anymore inspiration.

smiling-sheep-gary-canant.jpg

simond

Western Thunderer
Hi Phil

I don’t think so (and neither does Google) :)

Dichloromethane, I suggest.

Probably a great solvent but halogenated hydrocarbons (“trich / trike”, carbon tetrachloride, etc) are definitely off the menu of “preferred chemicals”. I’d need some very good reason to have them at work. But then again, if you read the MSDS for Gorilla Glue it would make your eyes water…

Osgood

Western Thunderer
EMA Plastic Weld is Diahydromethane.
I could believe that.

I'm not saying we used to mess around in Cemistry Phil, but one lunchtime we bought a huge bar of black chocolate and in the lab afterwards we found a bottle of hydrochloric acid. Temptation won and we formulated a new compound - Hydrochoclic Acid.

If that were not enough, the following week someone brought in a blue plastic effigy of Mr. McHenry from The Magic Roundabout, found in a Cornflakes packet.
A bottle of Nitric Acid was procured from the prep room and the world was introduced to a new blue-tinted liquid - Nitrogen DiMcHenride.

You just can't have any fun these days can you :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Hi Phil

I don’t think so (and neither does Google) :)

Dichloromethane, I suggest.

Probably a great solvent but halogenated hydrocarbons (“trich / trike”, carbon tetrachloride, etc) are definitely off the menu of “preferred chemicals”. I’d need some very good reason to have them at work. But then again, if you read the MSDS for Gorilla Glue it would make your eyes water…

Simon,

You're correct, I was doing it from memory (not very good these days, especially names) and I can't go and check the bottle as I'm away from home at the moment.

simond

Western Thunderer
I could believe that.

I'm not saying we used to mess around in Cemistry Phil, but one lunchtime we bought a huge bar of black chocolate and in the lab afterwards we found a bottle of hydrochloric acid. Temptation won and we formulated a new compound - Hydrochoclic Acid.

If that were not enough, the following week someone brought in a blue plastic effigy of Mr. McHenry from The Magic Roundabout, found in a Cornflakes packet.
A bottle of Nitric Acid was procured from the prep room and the world was introduced to a new blue-tinted liquid - Nitrogen DiMcHenride.

You just can't have any fun these days can you :rolleyes:
I’ll see your Nitrogen DieMacHenride, and raise you.

One of my classmates emptied a Parker Quink bottleful of potassium permanganate into Livingstone Street Swimmng pool, which was a trad 25 yard x 12 yard corpy swimming baths. 3’ at the shallow end 6’ at the deep end. Volume ~ 4.5x36x75 = 1174500cu ft. 33258.1 tons/cubic metres.

it all went purple.

those of us who were immersed went somewhat brown.

he did get a bollocking.

AJC

Western Thunderer

One of my classmates emptied a Parker Quink bottleful of potassium permanganate into Livingstone Street Swimmng pool, which was a trad 25 yard x 12 yard corpy swimming baths. 3’ at the shallow end 6’ at the deep end. Volume ~ 4.5x36x75 = 1174500cu ft. 33258.1 tons/cubic metres.

it all went purple.

those of us who were immersed went somewhat brown.

he did get a bollocking.

On a similar note, some classmates of mine salted away quite a bit of magnesium ribbon in a pot plant for future entertainment. All was well until someone used said plant as a means of stubbing out a spill for the Bunsen. I wasn’t there for the resulting fireball but the smell of cremated geraniums lingered for about a week.

Adam

Osgood

Western Thunderer
22.86m (25yd) x 11m (12yd) x 1.37m (4.5ft) = 344.5 m3 / tonnes?
Do not - repeat DO NOT - calculate and order your own readymix for the footings of your forthcoming railway room house extension.......

But in relation to:
Cards copy.jpeg

Going to try some of the Plastic Weld - it stuck 3-D printed resin pretty well.
Having just bought the Mek Pak I literally turned round to talk with a guy selling 3-D printed buildings - he grabbed my bottle of Mek Pak and demonstrated its ineffectiveness (and smell), then tried his bottle of EMA stuff to show how versatile it was.
Having just looked at what is available Di-Lomonene-wise, is it really all the same?
It seems to be sold as all manner of things for an equal number of purposes!

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
A while ago a few of us then "young folk" built this layout for kids to drive and enjoy at the Stafford club's exhibitions. There's been a fair amount of discussion today about when exactly "a while a go" actually was. We think it may have been 1987 or 1988. So a good 35+ years!

PXL_20240928_083343719.jpg

Amazing that it's still around, still running and still entertaining kids all these years later.

Some wag also pointed out it's outlived most of our subsequent "finescale" layouts. Probably also done more shows too.

I think the teenage me would be gobsmacked to know this layout was still going.