Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Another early morning modelling session sees the window surrounds on the central section fixed on.

IMG_20230223_070942.jpg

Stonework will follow and then the tedious task of adding in the brick courses to the edges of the window surrounds. That's a task for the magnifying glass and a sharp knife.

IMG_20230223_072324.jpg
Above is the inner edge of a window opening made up of the 3 layers of plasticard. So a plain cut edge, no brick mortar courses.

IMG_20230223_072317_1.jpg
The lower opening now has then added. I used to be able to do this with no visual aids. Getting older has led to magnifying glasses now being required. Shocking isn't it...

Last edited:

simond

Western Thunderer
Chris,

are the horizontal lines just shadows from the stiffeners on the back, or is there a subtle change of plane? Presuming if the latter, that would not be design intent…

cheers
Simon

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris,

thinking aloud, would a witness coat of grey primer help - both foe easing eye strain and location? Very envious of your dedication annd workmanship.

kind regards

Mike

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Chris,

are the horizontal lines just shadows from the stiffeners on the back, or is there a subtle change of plane? Presuming if the latter, that would not be design intent…

cheers
Simon

The horizontal lines are just shadows from the stiffeners where the light doesn't pass through to the 40thou front layer. There's no noticeable dip or mound. The addition of the embossed plasticard on top makes the effect disappear.

Last edited:

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris,

thinking aloud, would a witness coat of grey primer help - both foe easing eye strain and location? Very envious of your dedication annd workmanship.

kind regards

Mike

I have thought about that Mike but in real life the white is less glary. I don't normally add the primer until I have finished with the solvent as it can travel and you end up with solvent finger prints in the primer.

I do however go for a waft of grey primer afterwards to show up areas that need a little touching up with a file, knife or filler.

IMG_20230223_072814.jpg
Continuing the coursing into the window opening does IMO make a big impact on realism.

The grey smudging on the plasticard is actually soft pencil from the marking up of the embossed plasticard which has rubbed off. Does help show the relief of the stone and joints a bit better.

Last edited:

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
This brings me on to a pet hate of mine...

Buildings where the maker hasn't bothered lining up the stone or brickwork courses on corners or has made no attempt to work the joint to hide it.

I did have a discussion with a well known modeller last year who posts on RMweb and writes for BRM. He's incredibly critical about locos having the correct lamps/ headcode, and detail variations on locos being right for the loco number.

He knocked up a building, had an article published and the close up pictures showed mismatched coursing on every corner and the very obvious butted up sheets. Considering the robustness of his comments on others loco detailing issues, I did challenge him on why he didn't spend a bit of time aligning the courses on the embossed plastic and tidying up the joints.

The response was basically 'its only a building and nobody looks at those'. I begged to differ. My view and my aim is to try an achieve consistency across all things. Track, buildings, scenics and stock.

It would be far quicker to ignore the brickwork detail around the window openings and to not bother trying to find the right sort of stone sheets. Building details being wrong or absent upsets me in the same way that a loco with completely wrong boiler fittings or the wrong livery would.

And relax....

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Chris, I share your thoughts on how the small details of buildings are considered. The illusion of suspended reality is lost when it is obviously just a plastic embossed sheet stuck on a wall, no matter how well the track and rolling stock are made.
Michael

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Chris, I share your thoughts on how the small details of buildings are considered. The illusion of suspended reality is lost when it is obviously just a plastic embossed sheet stuck on a wall, no matter how well the track and rolling stock are made.
Michael
Fully agree. Not sure what the building equivalent of a rivet counter is, but I is one. Treatment is going well.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
There's a limited choice of 6 responses, only a couple less than RMweb but I'm often finding that the choice doesn't really fit what I'd like to record.

Like is the default and often doesn't seem enough, in which case I occasionally use the Love Eyes one (generally on @mickoo Bulleid work). The Laughy one is ok for funny stuff.

Personally I find the last 3 less useful and would prefer options to cover: thank you; interesting/informative; and craftsmanship.

View attachment 180826

Just noticed that the angry/mad response emoji thing has been killed as an option:

Before...

rps20230219_080956.jpg

After...
rps20230224_070801.jpg

I'm glad Mr Angry has gone, didn't need him on WT.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Speaking of which... I'm an idiot...

The left hand house, the one I have labouriously applied the brickwork to, was going to have a slate-hung wall. D'oh.

Embrace it.
I have my smocks made by Gieves & Hawkes.

But if as I always imagined the slates were retro-applied to the surface of old walls to prevent water ingress, you have simply done a bit of above & beyond modelling before hanging the slates……:thumbs:

Or should that be above & behind?

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
For them wot dunt know, I was a contributor to building an EM layout called Black Country Blues. We entered a competition in BRM to build a layout and won in 2012.

It appeared on show in 2013 and I've just been sent this reminder that the event was now over 10 years ago. Where do the years go?

image.png.1522bb45a5c5e625eda4b28c54d5dd19.png

BCB1a.jpg

Simon

Flying Squad
An utterly fabulous layout both them and now. Are you still in touch with Arthur who built the superbly believable (British Steel?) articulated lorry for the layout? I used to see him at the members days at Staplegrove back in the day. Where do the years go indeed.

Allen M

Western Thunderer
I made a trip to Stafford to see it quite a few years ago now. Looking over it felt like being near the top end of the M5 looking south-west. I was very impressed by the 'railway in the landscape' rather than the track gauge. But then I am something of an 'over the fence' modeller.

Regards
Allen

AJC

Western Thunderer
An utterly fabulous layout both them and now. Are you still in touch with Arthur who built the superbly believable (British Steel?) articulated lorry for the layout? I used to see him at the members days at Staplegrove back in the day. Where do the years go indeed.

A fine layout indeed, with that superb backscene, and yes, the British Steel artic (a modified AEC mk V from EFE as I recall) was a brilliant contribution to the overall scene. I think I saw somewhere that the layout is still about, but I don’t know about Arthur - if anyone does, I’d like to know, he’s a fine modeller of the steel industry and in my experience a generous fellow.

Adam

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
A fine layout indeed, with that superb backscene, and yes, the British Steel artic (a modified AEC mk V from EFE as I recall) was a brilliant contribution to the overall scene. I think I saw somewhere that the layout is still about, but I don’t know about Arthur - if anyone does, I’d like to know, he’s a fine modeller of the steel industry and in my experience a generous fellow.

Adam

I agree Adam, Arthur made some great contributions to the layout. The artic, industrial shunter and a PW hut. Hugely generous with his knowledge and time. I've not heard from him for a while but have put some feelers out.