Mike G's Workspace.

AJC

Western Thunderer
Hi Adam,
Many thanks for your info regarding the Brassmasters forth-coming 43xx chassis.
I have three of the Churchward Models 45xx chassis kits to do!!!
Mark

No worries - there was notice in the current MRJ and some details on the other channel, from the designer, Frank Davies. Worth a look: Chuffer's Workbench

Adam

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Mike,

I farted about with the Masokits working corridor connections and did not get on with them. A pain to make, rather delicate in use, don't look like the real thing (in several respects) and sometimes the pressure required to operate them started to cause operational issues (and I only had two of them!).

I thus concluded that fixed connections finished about 1/2mm inside the buffer rest position was the way to go with a small piece of black foam inserted in any fixed rakes to take away the daylight.

I thus designed my own etch that then uses black crepe paper as the bellows and bin liner as a hood over the top. I think they look rather better than Masokit's version or concertina paper. See a rather cruel enlargement below.

View attachment 182136

Or the etchings without the paper or bin liner in place. They are also conceived to be secured with nuts bolts or glue, so they can be retrofitted to existing coaches without too much damage - I suspect one of our members might recognise their handiwork in this picture.............

View attachment 182137

I have a fair number of etches if you want to try any? You can find them here British Standard Corridor Connections

Thanks Mark...bookmarked.

Mike

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Hi Adam,
Many thanks for your info regarding the Brassmasters forth-coming 43xx chassis.
I have three of the Churchward Models 45xx chassis kits to do!!!
Mark

The Churchwood kit was designed by Malcolm Mitchel - I wait to be corrected - They are a fantastic kit and a joy to build...I have another one in my 'shelf of shame'. I used CSB's in mine and it was well worth the effort. You can view this engine running on the test plank on my Utube channel...sounds very grand, but just somewhere I dump my test videos.

I would definitely wait for the Brassmasters offering, which is what I shall do, as I've found a picture of one rumbling over Hengoed viaduct. I'll build it the same way I tackled my 52xx (post 125 and onwards). But I won't be spending over £100 on the Dapol model just to throw the chassis away!
I bought my 43xx chassis from David Geen when the MM range was under his care. That's more years ago than I care to remember!!

For information, tonight's 43xx running was not without interest. The chassis ran really nicely, right up to the point when the lock nut on the first wheel decided to part company with the wheel and jammed itself between the wheel and the G hanger. Take a guess at what I'm doing tomorrow!!:headbang:

Still worth the trip to B Rd, a friend of mine - Kampenfelt - brought along his Rocar coaches, beautifully built as you'd expect. But they all had proper couplings on them, with Masokits CC's. Good luck joining those up in a train! My eyesight's not great and I'm not the most patient person in the world either. That combination would drive me nuts. I feel for Paul as they are exceptional models.

Tomorrows another day and another chance to mess things up.

Mike

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Guess who's gone on their holidays...

Guess whos away.jpg

As usual covered in the Telegraph, but no supplements this weekend, so I had to buy two copies...£8.00!! worth it, ohh so worth it!

This weeks candidates are...

The candidates.jpg

2 LMS coaches to be stripped and a Class 37 diesel. I can't believe that it's been a year since I was left unsupervised for a week. Progress to date - both coaches stripped and diesel stripped. One coach now in primer as is the diesel. I've run out of rainstrip and had to put an order in with Wizard for more, hopefully that will be here early next week. Tomorrow will see top coats for both.

The other models are for weathering. Std class 5 chassis, Std class 4 tank and the 43xx.

As usual I've left the 51xx, as some parts are still to turn up and I've cracked on with a 12t van diag 1/204. This has a LMS clasp brake arrangement. I'll get the under frame finished tonight - so that can go into primer tomorrow.

Stay safe

Mike

Chas Levin

Western Thunderer
You’re a brave man, putting so little polythene on the floor - being very accident prone, I would have taken a leaf out of the Mafia handbook and used a whole lot more! :))

Regards

Dan
If you're splashing red paint around as much as those guys, you should read up on brush technique…

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Quick update...

Class37.jpg

Class 37 has been successfully covered, more work tomorrow with masking and more spraying of the roof and the yellow part underneath the head code box. Nice smooth gloss finish. Thanks to Larry Goddard who pointed me in the right direction for the paint, absolutely spot on.

12t van with clasp brakes.jpg

The 12t van has been completed but runs like a sledge. I think this is due to a problem with the bearings not fitting flush in the springing etch. I am pleased with the colour of the van. It actually looks like bauxite - came from the Howes range (acrylic).

LMS D1845.jpg

D1845 has been completed other than lining and that'll happen later this week.

LMS D1791.jpg

D1791 straight from the paint shop, really pleased with this. Masking off later tonight and roof and ends will be sprayed.

Both LMS coaches will end up in service on Barrow Road. Cracking couple of days fun and not even half way through the allotted time slot! Weathering starts tomorrow on the other 3 engines.

Stay safe

Mike

Chas Levin

Western Thunderer
Great work all round Mike! All the paint finishes look really good.

Interested in your comment about that van colour actually looking like Bauxite: looking on a fairly cheap PC screen here, it looks quite brown - is that right? I thought Bauxite had a slight reddish tinge: is that wrong, or does the van have that, but it's not showing that way on my screen?

AJC

Western Thunderer

Interested in your comment about that van colour actually looking like Bauxite: looking on a fairly cheap PC screen here, it looks quite brown - is that right? I thought Bauxite had a slight reddish tinge: is that wrong, or does the van have that, but it's not showing that way on my screen?

It looks like the usual Railmatch colour which does look quite different in different light. The colours BR used varied quite significantly, too. Take this hopper (painted with Railmatch Bauxite from a spray) as an example:

Iron_Ore_hopper_013.gif

Iron_Ore_hopper_015.gif

Adam

EDIT: PS - just stumbled across this excellent illustration of the range of 'bauxites' you could once have seen:

Last edited:

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer

Chas

I had always assumed that bauxite gave an orange tinge...just goes to show how peoples perception of colour differ.

Back to it....

Mike

Chas Levin

Western Thunderer
It looks like the usual Railmatch colour which does look quite different in different light. The colours BR used varied quite significantly, too. Take this hopper (painted with Railmatch Bauxite from a spray) as an example:

View attachment 183035

View attachment 183036

Adam

Chas

I had always assumed that bauxite gave an orange tinge...just goes to show how peoples perception of colour differ.

Back to it....

Mike
Interesting stuff and yes, peoples' perceptions and use of language get complicated when you're talking about colours, especially when you factor in eyesight, ageing paint and changing light conditions!
That's a very interesting idea Mike, that the tinge is orange rather than red: I'm going to look at some photos tomorrow in daylight...
It's a subject that fascinates me; I'm usually looking at LNER red oxide shades or, increasingly, GNR freight brown.

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
The last 2 days have seen a weathering fest, 42xx, 43xx, Std cl 5 and Std class 4mt. The photos are really disappointing as they don't show the overlays of colours that went into the process. They look as though grey has been wafted everywhere - that isn't the case.

You might have noticed that I have not mentioned the Class 37 diesel. There's a good reason for that. Having spent nearly an hour masking the brut up, the enamel (Precision paints) or the acrylic (Vallejo) would actually take over the top of the celly. :rant:I'd left the celly 2 days to harden before trying the over spray.
When I've painted coaches and the celly has gone onto the roof, the gray - almost inevitably acrylic - takes without a problem. So I'm a bit stumped, anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear from you.

Now to be fair the Std class 5 has only had the chassis of the engine weathered, the rest having been done quite sometime ago.

Std cl 5 73024.jpg

42xx

42xx 5214.jpg

It doesn't come through on the photo but this really looks good.

43xx

43xx 4326.jpg

Not quite finished with this, still to add coal and the crew. It looks way better now that the gloss black has been taken back.

Std class 4 mt

4mt 80133.jpg

Weathered from a still I took from within a video. Probably my favorite.

The work on the coaches has also progressed. I've ground out the backs of the cosmetic sides so that the bearings are able to move up and down within the sprung bogie frame.
The dinning room has now been returned to a dinning room for another 12 months - no spills or over sprats. :)

Comments always welcomed.

Stay safe

Mike

PeteT

Nice Stones ventilators there Mike! :thumbs: I need to get my D1807 completed - not far off needing the paint shops.

The weathering is coming out well too, only thing to note is the Standard 4 doesn't look to be sat on its chassis properly?

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Pete - I think that’s the angle that the photo is taken from. Looks as though the bunker is jacked up in the air.
The stones ventilators are awesome - just a complete b&@@&r to solder in place. Look forward to seeing your coach next time you’re down.

Regards

Mike

simond

Western Thunderer
The rear buffers do look further from the track than the front ones. Might be the camera or my gozzy eyes, but…

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
As promised I've measured the 4mt. About 0.5 mm difference between front and back buffers.

4mt buffers1.jpg
4mt buffers2.jpg

So well done Simon and Pete, I'd have never bothered checking in the first place, so thanks for the help.

I have also posted videos of the 43xx and the Std 5. They both run quite satisfactorily. The 43 needs far more running in (it had 10 minutes either way before I did the video) and the Std 5 needs to go back under the microscope as it won't go through point work...it just canters on as if the point hadn't been thrown. I suspect theres' only enough traction for the bogie wheels to turn without slipping, so some more weight may be needed on the very front of the bogie.

The parts have arrived for the 51xx, but having had such fun with my last wagon, I may just do a few more and then there's the coaches to line up as well.

Stay safe

Mike