Genghis's 7mm Workbench

Genghis

Western Thunderer
Nothing above the footplate yet secured, but progress is being made.

There is a slight issue about the fit of the smokebox to the boiler - the spacer ring is a little thick. There is a work around for this as John has produced a turned ring to replace the etched parts. I will be getting some of these produced. I have fitted the optional mudholes but I think teh clamps are a bit chunky. I have alternates from the Jinty kit so will pack these instead.

IMG_4808.jpg

IMG_4809.jpg

IMG_4810.jpg

IMG_4811.jpg

Genghis

Western Thunderer
The replacement clamps are now in place.

IMG_4813.jpg

This loco is likely to remain unpainted as a demonstrator, so I added the boiler bands. I have made good progress today and expect to be able to post photos tomorrow of the body just waiting detailing.

The instructions show a part to be fitted inside the smokebox to aid fixing. I realised that this is actually the front frame to body attachment, so its position was determined by locating the frames and drilling through the appropriate spacer through the saddle and then fitting the retaining plate and nut.

IMG_4814.jpg

Onwards!

Jon Fitness

Western Thunderer
With the basic frames complete, I have started on the body work.

The footplate is in 3 sections, two of which require bending to shape. I used the valances as a template for the bends. The saddle was a bit tricky, but so far it has gone together well.

View attachment 181348

View attachment 181349

View attachment 181350

Hoping to get the main upper works in place tomorrow.
I shall have to keep an eye on this as I'm currently trundling through the construction of one of these...

Genghis

Western Thunderer
Completed the main superstructure parts so now on with the undergubbings. The brakes have been added and the pony and bogie constructed.

IMG_4816.jpg

IMG_4817.jpg

So this is where we are now.

IMG_4818.jpg

Not sure how much more I can get done before Kettering, but I'll put it on the Gladiator stand.

Genghis

Western Thunderer
Jon,

It was good to chat: you are correct about the plates behind the mudhole covers: I think they should be vertical, not as I have them. My excuse is that the drawings show them horizontal, but looking at the photos again, I think you are right. (I am not sure how I got this wrong - I thought that the instructions were incorrect and spent some time looking at photos but obviously didn't see what was there.

You also found the same niggles as me: the front sandboxes and the tank tops pushing the sides out slightly so that there is a small gap to the spectacle plate. I am sure that this is caused by the firebox cladding bands. I will be suggesting that these are cut back appropriately.

I see your kit has the brass crossheads: I have now had new moulds made and these will be supplied as nickel silver castings. I've just ordered a supply for the first production batch. I have also talked to Slaters about producing driving wheels without the Stanier bevel ring and am hoping that these will be available soon.

David

Jon Fitness

Western Thunderer
Thanks Dave. I ended up slicing about 0.5mm off the outer edge of the tank tops and it helped at the cab end as the tank sides now align correctly with the cab front. Are the wheels same as for the crab?
JF

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
No, John.
Crabs had 5'-6" driving wheels and the 2-6-4 tanks had 5'-9".
Nos 2300 - 2394 had plain rim wheels with cast balance weights, whereas 2395 - 2424 had triangular, Stanier pattern wheels with built-up balance weights - as your model is currently fitted.
Truck wheels were 3' - 61/2" plain rim on the Crabs and 3' - 31/2" on the tanks - plain or triangular rim to match the coupled wheels.
Dave.

Jon Fitness

Western Thunderer
No, John.
Crabs had 5'-6" driving wheels and the 2-6-4 tanks had 5'-9".
Nos 2300 - 2394 had plain rim wheels with cast balance weights, whereas 2395 - 2424 had triangular, Stanier pattern wheels with built-up balance weights - as your model is currently fitted.
Truck wheels were 3' - 61/2" plain rim on the Crabs and 3' - 31/2" on the tanks - plain or triangular rim to match the coupled wheels.
Dave.
Ah thanks. I wasn't sure. Mine will be 42368 so I probably need to change the coupling rods to fluted although I believe they did get swapped around in later life.

Genghis

Western Thunderer
No progress with the tank in the last few days. After a good Kettering Guild show I had a couple of days with follow up tasks for Gladiator. I'm also off to Taiwan for a couple of months to work on some metro projects there. (Fingers crossed that Mr Xi doesn't do anything stupid). I will have some free time so I will be taking the Fowler, a DJH standard 5 and a Gladiator C4 to keep me busy. I spent yesterday building the frames for the last two using my Avonside jig. So these are in the suitcase:

IMG_4829.jpgIMG_4830.jpgIMG_4831.jpg

The suitcase is heavy..........

David

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
No progress with the tank in the last few days. After a good Kettering Guild show I had a couple of days with follow up tasks for Gladiator. I'm also off to Taiwan for a couple of months to work on some metro projects there. (Fingers crossed that Mr Xi doesn't do anything stupid). I will have some free time so I will be taking the Fowler, a DJH standard 5 and a Gladiator C4 to keep me busy. I spent yesterday building the frames for the last two using my Avonside jig. So these are in the suitcase:

View attachment 182177View attachment 182178View attachment 182179

The suitcase is heavy..........

David

Hi David

How do you get on flying and going through security with soldering iron, flux, solder, various sharp pointy tools and lumps of brass?

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
Hello Jon and David,

all of the steam locos that I've worked on had the mud holes as an ellipse with the long part of it running front to back. Also the covers were were a small dome with a hex. bolt in them running in the same direction. If the loco did not have the covers the "strong back" ran with the long length of the ellipse.

But these were sir Williams locos not sir Henry's.

ATB

OzzyO.

Genghis

Western Thunderer
Hello Jon and David,

all of the steam locos that I've worked on had the mud holes as an ellipse with the long part of it running front to back. Also the covers were were a small dome with a hex. bolt in them running in the same direction. If the loco did not have the covers the "strong back" ran with the long length of the ellipse.

But these were sir Williams locos not sir Henry's.

ATB

OzzyO.
OzzyO

Understood: hence the way I have located them, but I think I am wrong! Certainly contrary to normal

David

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
The washout doors and openings in the outer firebox wrapper would be elliptical to facilitate removal and fitting of the doors. However, the LMS clothing drawing shows the opening in the clothing plate and the domed covers as being circular - 61/4" opening and the base of the cover 81/2" diameter. Seems rather strange.
Dave.