Genghis's 7mm Workbench

Genghis

Western Thunderer
Regarding Adrian Rowland's LNWR coaches, I talked him out of etching the door groove so I could more easily paint the white line around the doors. (Ever tried lining in a groove....?) :D
Adrian notes in the instructions that if the coaches are to be unlined, scribing a line to represent the door is a good idea, otherwise the lining hides the sin!
David

Genghis

Western Thunderer
It has been a busy week packing kits ready for the Kettering show, so nothing to show from the bench until today. So what's this? It's obviously neither a Precursor tank or an 8F!!

IMG_5667.jpg

IMG_5668.jpg

simond

Western Thunderer
Yeah, I could buy that.

I feel I recognise the wide bit where the cylinders belong. It might appear like some melodramatic nocturnal express in my dreams. Or maybe not.

g’night.

Genghis

Western Thunderer
It's an 04/8.
Correct!

Test build for the forthcoming new release. Has shown up a couple of issues already. The brass is too thick and the drag beam, which is the same width as the buffer beam, is too narrow. It is going to end up something like this:

63818 - 1.jpg

Basically a new superstructure for the existing Gladiator frames, so a bit like the original! At this stage I still don't have a saddle and am unsure about whether it will be a casting or an etch.

Genghis

Western Thunderer
Dave, before you go too much further you might want to check your data on the valance under the cab, I can't find any engines where the valance jogs out under the cab, it remains flat all the way back to the drag beam, only the footplate has an extension around the cab.
Mick,

Thanks: you're right. This probably means that the drag beam is the correct width. I've already got a list of mods, so good to get this added. I've got the Isinglass drawing (which isn't useful in this respect) and the RCTC and Yeadons so I should have spotted this. On some of the photos the shadow from the overhang suggests that there might have been a joggle but there clearly isn't.

Cheers

Dave

Genghis

Western Thunderer
More progress. A bit slow as I've been doing some of the twelve inch to the foot scale work.

IMG_5684.jpg

IMG_5685.jpg

A few minor niggles so the list of changes grows. It would be possible to release the kit with the current etches - I've built far worse - but I'd like to get this right. I decided to leave the rear valance joggle in place for now. Removing the valances, straightening them and cutting a new groove in the footplate seemed like a task too much when there might have been other creepy crawlies lurking.

Genghis

Western Thunderer
Progress! The smokebox and boiler were rolled and added to the firebox, then the washouts added. I decided to add boiler bands to hide the joins. These days I usually let the painter add tape, but this beast will be scrapped before painting.

IMG_5687.jpg

Fitting it to the footplate shows the gap where the saddle should be.

IMG_5688.jpg

If my name were Mickoo I would now sit down at the PC with a cuppa, and seemingly fleeting moments later would send a file to the printer which would then produce a perfectly proportioned saddle. Unfortunately I don't have those skills so I bodged it using a saddle from a rebuilt patriot, some large files and scrap etch.

IMG_5691.jpg

Something nearer to a Mickoo production will be prepared for the production run. Probably a casting but it could be etches. What would you vote for?

Just for completeness I've also taken the slitting wheel to the centre part of the footplate. There will need to be sacrificial bridges on the production design to help this.

IMG_5690.jpg

So next onto the frames. These are the standard set of O4 frames that we pack with the kits. They are redrawn from the original David Andrews design but unfortunately the instructions still relate to the original. Something I hadn't picked up before. So this will give me the chance to produce a new set that will be applicable to the O4, O4/7 and the O4/8. I'm also minded to see if there is interest for an O4/5 and O4/6.

Genghis

Western Thunderer
With the exception of some cab fittings, the upper works are now complete. I've put together a sizeable list of tweaks, so hope these can all be accommodated.

IMG_5695.jpg

IMG_5696.jpg

IMG_5697.jpg

The cab floor is too high, but I am not worried about that for this beast.

Now I need to get on with the frames. I am hoping that the loco is ready to show at Kettering next week but I have a busy week ahead of me. I am expecting a delivery of etches on Monday so they'll take a couple of days to break down and pack. Dentist on Tuesday. Pick up the K1 on Wednesday and fit the DCC stuff. Take the current car to the garage on Thursday prior to picking up the new one next week. Pick up a van, pack it and drive to Kettering on Friday. Enjoy a pint or two................ I hope tomorrow I can get the frames finished even if there isn't time to throw a tender together as well.

Genghis

Western Thunderer
Finishing the frames is taking longer than I had hoped, but then I had unrealistic expectations of the work involved. I had hoped that today would be spent breaking down etches and packing kits for Kettering, but they haven't turned up so I have had an extra day at the bench.

After getting the basic frames together and fitting the etched springs, I gave the assembly a bath in the ultrasonic cleaner. This has turned teh nickel silver a very strange colour.

IMG_5707.jpg

But I've been able to add the brake gear and the (limited) representation of the internal motion and the frames take solder easily.

IMG_5710.jpg

I'll probably leave out the motor and pick ups for now, so just the coupling rods, con rods and cylinder assemblies to add now.

Genghis

Western Thunderer
The O4/8 was complete enough to display at the Kettering show.

IMG_5713.jpg
I think that John Firminger was a bit taken aback by my list of suggested tweaks, but we will get there in the end. I think it is probably the best looking of the O4 family.

Meanwhile, having cleared up after the show, it is back to the workbench with the 8F build.

IMG_5725.jpg

Genghis

Western Thunderer
Today work has continued on the tender body.

No significant issues. I took time to get the coal hopper and fire iron tunnels as good as possible. I think these are the trickiest parts of these tenders.

IMG_5732.jpg

So now it's mostly about detailing.

IMG_5734.jpg

and sorting out that squiffy rear handrail..........