Genghis's 7mm Workbench

Allen M

Western Thunderer
We are used to seeing perfect printed 'decoration' on mass produced locomotives, and so it is a sobering thought that the professional painters have to "draw" every line and every corner. I marvel at such workmanship and dedication, particularly as I know that no one will ever become wealthy from doing it for a living.
Hi Larry and all
I know a man, now in his 50s who trained as a sigh writer with Ansels Brewery, Birmingham doing the pub signs. When that stopped he did other things including the decorations canal boats and was on briefly TV, I think about be 20 years ago. Your comment about becoming wealthy, The owners would pay many £thousands for the boat but moan at small sum for all the decorating.
He gave up the painting and does window cleaning, gutter cleaning and other odd jobs for a much higher income.

Regards
Allen

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry and all
I know a man, now in his 50s who trained as a sigh writer with Ansels Brewery, Birmingham doing the pub signs. When that stopped he did other things including the decorations canal boats and was on briefly TV, I think about be 20 years ago. Your comment about becoming wealthy, The owners would pay many £thousands for the boat but moan at small sum for all the decorating.
He gave up the painting and does window cleaning, gutter cleaning and other odd jobs for a much higher income.

Regards
Allen

I've been asked many times to do paid commissions for buildings in 4mm and 7mm. To build and finish from scratch to a standard I'm happy with takes 100s of hours, yet people only want to pay £20-£50 for a building. They always seem upset that you don't want to do it for 10p/hour!

More than happy to do skills swaps with others, and have previously made buildings in exchange for track or other work. That can work well.