HO Eine Sekundärbahn

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Finally, after numerous false starts and the catastrophic loss* a of a parcel from Germany (thank you DPD) a Jiffy bag from the Czech Republic via Poland has just arrived containing an HO Spitzner water crane…….wahoo! These were common in both the Austro-Hungarian empire and Bayern but almost unknown as a model, I am indebted to Petr Kresta for sending this gem.

The garish modern hazard scheme will be covered with a blast of grey primer then some gunmetal grey.
IMG_2021.jpg

IMG_2864.jpg

IMG_2028.jpg
The image of the layout is the old P’dorf that was sold in ‘18 due to ill health, the new layout is pretty much more of the same but twice the length and definitely not for exhibiting.

*It contained watercranes, building kits and other stuff.

Tim

Last edited:

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
A quick first look at the station buildings, still lots to do, such as attach the snow guards, chimney, posters etc but they look very good thanks to the skills of Mike Hitchen. The worn, weathered appearance is entirely intentional.

IMG_1522a.jpg
The humble lean-to for whatever needs sheltering on the platform.

IMG_1527.jpg

In time, all this will be updated

Tim

Last edited:

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer

I cannot explain how pleased I am to have found this old clip, filmed on a lovely hot summer's day many years ago at Streitberg on the Wiesenttalbahn. We had stopped for a 'comfort' break and heard a distant whistle, this was our reward.

The loco is the ELNA #4 (Engerer Lokomotiv-Normen-Ausschuß) that had been acquired by the DFS to supllement their BR64 491, the ELNA was built in 1930 by Berliner Maschinenbau AG and is not a wartime austerity machine.

Tim

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
With the arrival of the last big structure, there has been some faffing about positioning the building groups, the station group (including locoshed) are pretty much fixed but the ‘big white house’ and farm needed to be placed carefully.

IMG_3067.png

Inspiration came from both images of the prototype and Iain Rice (IMHO the greatest influence on model railways in the past forty years) who put forward the notion of visual balance, the buildings are not so much evenly distributed but placed with a purpose (never parallel with the baseboard edge) with trees used to provide ‘peek a boo’ view blockers as well as so much needed height. The group of farm buildings is on a sub-base as a free standing entity , this allows the group to be worked on away from the layout. At the moment, the hardstanding courtyard has been laid and the positions of the two main structures are fixed.

IMG_1541.jpg
Roughly in position

It is intended to position the farmyard with the rear of the yard hard up against the trackbed, this will provide a view blocker for the exit to the fiddleyard, there will be a picket fence around the property and a dusty* farm track at the front. The kitchen garden will contain the chicken coop and fruit tree.

IMG_2245.jpg
This rather artful image is all that remains of 'Grafenwalde', the layout that provided both the trackplan (albeit it slightly altered) and much of the ideas that are being recycled on Pottendorf. The image was the rear of the station and was inspired by the tree-lined approach to a station in the Bayerwald, I tend to shamelessly plagiarise the prototype and I intend to do the same again with a stand of trees either side of the station road.
Tim

*dusty farm tracks - for those of certain age, the 'Great Escape' was mandatory viewing, the motorcycle chase through early '60s Osterreich was notable for the dust clouds from hard gravel roads (look at the road above) . This was also pretty much the same in rural Bayern in the early '50s, family summer outings were an endurance of dust in our 'borrowed' open vehicle from the motor pool. To recreate the roads, cheapo artists backing card cut to road shapes and slathered with textured paint is perfect.

Flim clip from the Great Escape

Last edited:

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Loco shed update,

The weathering powders have been put to good use, the dark creosoted finish has given way to a more careworn finish of the early '50s when materials were difficult to obtain. The roof has been washed with sepia ink and a layer of mossy green, unfortunately they don't photographed too well.

IMG-1013(1).jpg
Tim

Last edited:

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Way back in May, I had purchased two rather nice resin building kits of authentic Frankische farm buildings, unfortunately they did not arrive until today despite being posted, for tracked express delivery, on 15.05. This is the contents of the parcel:-

IMG_0283.jpg
Maybe worth reloading the images of the finished buildings, needless to add that, I found and built some replacements….As soon as I return home from Yeovil District Hospital (another heart attack) I hope to crack on with them.

IMG_3148.jpg

IMG_3149.jpg

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Currently waiting to be repatriated to Yeovil District Hospital following minor corrective surgery to insert stents to the arteries feeding my heart.

Rather than continue with the large project, the tiny micro-diorama will be completed as a ‘70s scrapyard connected to a local industrial rail system.

Industriebahn

Last edited:

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Good thinking on your part, Tim. I find myself in very similar situation and would concur that a single board which can be indoors seems to be the ideal answer. I found myself arriving at the same conclusion as 'outdoor' working (shed or garage) becomes a greater trial to me. Take it easy on yourself and keep well.

Cheers,

Roger :thumbs:

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
In a rare moment of calm, I was offered a comprehensively modified Fleischmann BR64 body that had received the entire Weinert bodywork conversion pack.

It hasn't arrived but when it does I will post more images.

64_253a.jpg
IMG_3150.jpg

If you are wondering why not simply buy the modern Roco version, I already own a Fleischmann model and could never find a reasonably priced Roco with all the bits still attached.

The chassis of the existing Fleischmann model has received a modicum of reworking and a tricky DCC decoder installation resulting in an excellent performer.

Tim