HO Eine Sekundärbahn

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Just take it very steadily Tim. I know exactly what you are going through from personal experience. Look after yourself.

Cheers,

Roger :thumbs: .

peterbkloss

Dear Tim, so sorry to hear of your health woes and please tell us that you are home safely! I have only recently joined WT and have just struck this amazing thread, if only because one of my cousins lives in Eckental-Eschenau (where as you know the old Sekuh joined it's still open later sibling, the branch from Nürnberg Ost to Gräfenau), he is a railway enthusaist and has helped restore the loco shed at Eckental station, which once upona time held a V100 diesel and more recently a London Routemaster, in which I had a rather scary ride! I've also walked the entire trackbed from the outskirts of Erlangen to Eckental one sunny day in May 2013 with my cousin and my brother, so the area and the line are of considerable interest to me and I have a book in my collection telling the history of the line picked up in the museum in one of the stations along the way (possibly in Dormitz?). I have also collected some Fleischmann locos suitable for a representation of the line, including a BR64 (thanks for the tip about the pony wheels) and a 0-8-0 tank of the kind that worked the line in its last years. So I am hopeful to build a small HO line with street running alongside my main Bristol area P4 UK themed layout!! Kindest of regards to you!

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Dear Tim, so sorry to hear of your health woes and please tell us that you are home safely! I have only recently joined WT and have just struck this amazing thread, if only because one of my cousins lives in Eckental-Eschenau (where as you know the old Sekuh joined it's still open later sibling, the branch from Nürnberg Ost to Gräfenau), he is a railway enthusaist and has helped restore the loco shed at Eckental station, which once upona time held a V100 diesel and more recently a London Routemaster, in which I had a rather scary ride! I've also walked the entire trackbed from the outskirts of Erlangen to Eckental one sunny day in May 2013 with my cousin and my brother, so the area and the line are of considerable interest to me and I have a book in my collection telling the history of the line picked up in the museum in one of the stations along the way (possibly in Dormitz?). I have also collected some Fleischmann locos suitable for a representation of the line, including a BR64 (thanks for the tip about the pony wheels) and a 0-8-0 tank of the kind that worked the line in its last years. So I am hopeful to build a small HO line with street running alongside my main Bristol area P4 UK themed layout!! Kindest of regards to you!
Hi, thanks.

Still recuperating in a nice hotel in Bamberg, many sleep deprived hours need to be overcome if we are to drive back to Dorset. If you are reasonably local, we are on the western tip of Dorset, you (and anyone reading this) are welcome to visit, refreshments will be provided.

The layout has finally found its niche, in fact, the concept first started out as the unbuilt terminus of the proposed extension of the Wiesenttalbahn and it has taken thirty plus years of faffing about to return to where it began.
The final concept this is where it all began when we rode up and down the line in a draisine with Andy and Matt, now they are almost in their 50s. The images show why we are besotted with this preserved line and no, I have no qualms copying the line, its innate beauty provides the reason Far better than my constant waffle.

Last edited:

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Beautiful pictures, Tim, showing many of the features which attract people to model the German scene. Pleased you are recovering - just don't rush things and you'll find patience pays handsome dividends.

All the best,

Roger

Wagonman

Western Thunderer
Now waiting to self discharge tomorrow, I cannot afford to £2.5k a day bed and the angiogram is £15k, the bloods reveal a possible cardiac event but nothing more. Instead, a very slow drive taking three days and two over stops before hitting the Eurotunnel on Wednesday morning. Wish me luck.

Was it work the hassle………you gotta go some time?

Tim

This is when we really miss the EHIC card! As someone who has been in and out of cardiac units for 20 years or more I do keep my fingers firmly crossed when visiting my wife's family in Germany! I hope you get well soon.

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Made it home at 21:00 after a 07:30 start from Bamberg. A cuppa and a wee were the first priorities, tomorrow must collect the JRT and buy stuff from Mr. Evans (the veg man at the corner of Culverheyes)

No major railway-related purchases in Germany, just a smutty mag (MIBA) and a roadside shrine in HO…..she bought a waffle maker.

Tim

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Details,

The little things tend to separate the better from the best, especially when details are concerned, it is a bit like not noticing a certain type of car until you buy one. Anyhew, this is my ‘essential’ assortment of unconsidered trifles, btw it is the post-box in the first image.

IMG_2663.jpg

IMG_2759.jpg

IMG_2760.jpg

IMG_2758.jpg

Not wishing to be a ‘clever clogs ’ and rather than make, I acquired the bits from Erika at Kotol.de but she no longer sells to nonEu customers. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the source of the cigarette machines, it has been 20+ years since I built a post war layout but someone did offer a nice model in HO.

Once P’Dorf is supposedly complete, the final task is to revisit the scene, take photos and ask German chums to tell me what is missing, the list is usually quite considerable.

michael080

Western Thunderer
Tim,

I hope you feel better.

The "Andreaskruez" St. Andrews cross is used differently inside and outside of a locality. The horizontal version is used inside and the vertical version is used outside of a build-up area.

I agree, it's these little details that bring a scene to life.

If you need somebody to forward a parcel from the EU to the UK, I can help. I know it's a pain, because I face the same problem the other way around. As an example, Slaters only ships to the EU if the order exceeds 150GBP.

Michael

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Tim,

I hope you feel better.

The "Andreaskruez" St. Andrews cross is used differently inside and outside of a locality. The horizontal version is used inside and the vertical version is used outside of a build-up area.

I agree, it's these little details that bring a scene to life.

If you need somebody to forward a parcel from the EU to the UK, I can help. I know it's a pain, because I face the same problem the other way around. As an example, Slaters only ships to the EU if the order exceeds 150GBP.

Michael
According to Zintl, the horizontal cross was used until 1961 by the DB in both rural and urban areas, P’Dorf is 1958.

Thanks for asking about my health, it is much better thanks to the hospital in Bamberg without whom, I would probably be not alive.

I have a chum in Essen who passes stuff to me, a very good friend.

The loss of the parcel containing the Mueller kits was seriously expensive but the ‘bounce-back’ using an adapted Wills kit was vindicated when we discovered that small rendered barns were relatively common in the area around the Wiesenttal. Unfortunately, the sunday set aside for ‘barn hunting was the start of the stay in hospital consequently I missed both the final* trip on the DFS and looking for more barns.

*After previous adventures involving medical emergencies, there will be no further foreign escapades, the upcoming road trip to Montlhery is cancelled as being unaffordable and a tad risky.

Tim

Last edited:

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Hi Tim
It has been a while since I have written but the above has prompted me to give you encouragement as you have done me in the past. If it were not for your salutation I would not have got some of my US stuff out for an airing or perhaps starting again on the O gauge small layout.
Your words in this thread keep me (and I am sure many others) interested with such fascinating scenes from another country.
Just a thought on those lovely German wood stores....my wife and I cleared 29 fir trees from the Olive terraces in March/April that had invaded the neglected land and now we have much wood to last through to perhaps our grand children! I certainly won't be able to wield a chain saw in the future! The previous couple who owned our place in Spain had to leave it because it became too much at their time in life and we feel we have carried on their legacy....until our time comes.

IMG_20230402_185415.jpg

I do hope it does not come to that, that you cannot get to your workshop. Perhaps a smaller layout that you can have in the house, easier to operate etc.? No cold shed but a nice "shelf layout"?

Take care and all the best.

Best wishes
Julian

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
The initial panic has subsided and a medical appointment is made etc.

Rational choices:-

No action at the moment except to stop taking on any more projects.
Keep focussed on preparation for the inevitable (we all go anyway)
Relax by progressing P'Dorf as far as my 'condition' allows
Keep in touch with everyone
Have a nice cup of tea when things overwhelm

and thanks

Tim