HO Eine Sekundärbahn

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Auhagen stations are usually very nice - I built one for an H0e layout some years back but the name and kit number now escape, but I recall how pleasant a build it was. Your comments about early Piko are quite right - I have long recommended them. I used to sell the range in another life, but that is ancient history now. Regrettably the modelling fraternity of the time lamentably failed to give the range the acknowledgement it merited.
I look forward to your further reports, Tim - keep them coming, please.

Roger

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Hi,
Like many others on WT, I am partial to the odd wagon or three. The fun of European rabbit holes is immense, so many odd things to find and their history is intriguing, in this case it is a mundane brown open wagon. The germans made tens of thousands of lwb open wagons from the 1900s onwards, morphing into fully braked with steel bodies before WW2, they were still built after ‘49 and in use until the privatisation of German railways following reunification.

This is just such a wagon, in this instance, made in Czechoslovakia for both their system, the CSD and Germany’s DB under the Marshall plan, even then the DB’s fleet was later eventually sold to the DDR’s DR. They were reliable and therefore widespread in use, almost any siding might be their ‘home’

Models were available from Piko and later from Vacek plus a recent 3D offering, mine treasured model is the Vacek with NEM couplings from Czechoslovakia pre-split.

An interesting website from Czech Republic Rotormania Goods Wagons

B854BE9B-E9E4-4CBC-BE63-565290C7B593.jpg

Tim

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
I like the finish on that one very much, Tim - nicely work-worn which highlighted the pressed body panels well.

Adam

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Two posts in rapid succession?

Sundays are generally 'layout' days, yesterday was no exception, thanks to my dearest partner who stood on a wooden box, the installed backscene received a coat of Jonstone's household powder blue emulsion. This morning, I completed the job with random dabs of The Range acrylic white clouds using her bath sponge (she will never know) This unimagantive method has been used for the past twenty-odd years and seems to be better than no backscene.

Backscene2.jpg

Backscene1.jpg
The aperture is the mousehole for the fiddleyard, in case nobody was wondering.

The next task is either painting/ballasting or 'contour profiles' whic equates to layers of 5mm Hobbycraft foamboard rather than the ubiquitous polybead foamboard that is a nightmare to clean-up AND too thick. My personal taste is for relatively flat station areas (the trackbed is usually flat) with various contour levels to alleviate the billiard-table appearance. The former version of Pottendorf was a mismash of 5mm foamboard which was well received by viewers, however I also use picture mount board as the standard road surface, it is not quite even which is pleasing to my eye.

All flat surfaces receive a thorough daubing of Acrylicmasse which is rather similar to a coloured sticky Playdoh, a Polish product, unfortunately now unavailable by mail.

20180506_No_Kadee.jpg

This is the previous Pottendorf, at first glance it looks flat but appearances are deceiving, the goal was to make subtle changes which were scarely discernible. And the same lazy backscene.

Tim

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
It looks to be coming on very nicely, Tim. The subtleties of level are a nice effect. Thanks for the link regarding wagons - I must have a chat with my grandson who is resident in the Czech Republic (or is it now Czeckia....?) ;) .

Roger

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
The resin kits from Martin Mueller are very nice but at around €45 including shipping it might be worth looking elsewhere for ideas, for example the Wills SS30 kit can be found for £8.50 including postage and it no less complicated as its resin counterpart.
ss30a.jpg

However, it doesn’t look particularly Germanic let alone Frankische, maybe a layer of Polyfilla fine surface render might help, applied with a coffee stir stick from McDonalds.

ss30b.jpg
A wash with a dilute mix of appropriate colour would help too, the roof tiles could be painted burnt sienna acrylic, whilst the wood could be dusted with grey powder paint.

ss30c.jpg

Now, it looks perfect for part of a rural scene in Thuringia .

Last edited:

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Very nicely adapted, Tim. The additional work you have put in makes me, as a founder member of the von Eidelburgers modelling group, realise how fortunate I am to be attempting to build an imaginary Rhineland scene where such modifications are not so frequently required ;)! More power to your elbow, my friend :thumbs:.

Roger.

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
This tiny diorama was built about fifteen years ago, it was featured on a number of layouts, now it awaits its final 'home' on Grafenwalde.

garden1a800.jpg

The odd 'lump' on the left is a walk-in vegetable store, whilst the gazebo is a gift from Jorge Schmidt at Joswood, the washing line needs some clothes. Not sure where exactly it will be placed but it will definitely find a forever home on the layout.

Last edited:

steve1

Western Thunderer
Just a few words, not of justification but simply why return to German HO after a long hiatus?
Apart from the long standing personal connection, going down the German branchline route isn’t as silly as it seems, ultra reliable models* that are readily available but there are other features. No signalling or trackside fences for German branchlines, makes modelling a lot easier.

I model the Ep3a period, 1950-65, branchlines still ran tiny steam powered trains even the railbuses were wee, great for space starved modellers, totally unlike US outline. Look at my blog, lots of ideas:- My blog

*Not expensive, buy secondhand, most of the locos cost no more than £75 plus DCC upgrade with an average of less than £10 per item of rolling stock.
Another vote here for German HO. Admittedly Starker Verkher was Era V and industrial but I had good fun with the layout before it was sold.

The stock still exists and another outing is planned for the future.
5ECAAC85-2AF8-4590-AE78-6A6292E11E52.jpeg
steve

ABA5F139-3AF0-429B-BFF6-A2C9B8101E0E.jpeg

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
I would love to announce the arrival of the resin kits from Germany, unfortunately the parcel has definitely disappeared and the DHL tracking number is corrupt.

Rather than a well deserved hissy-fit, the Wills SS30 barn has been purchased, it will be similarly built and ‘distressed as before. Thankfully, amongst the junk pile there was another old Kibri kit of of the rather fine houses that were previously used on the ‘original’ German BLT , Grafenwalde.

grafenwalde09.jpg

The house will be built and installed on the layout together with the old vegetable patch and a rather odd corrugated garage - all were once used on other layouts and deserve to be recycled once more.

Another cheapo task is the platform (uploaded above on 25.05), the edges need to be finished and to disguise the visible edge of the board, thin hardwood slices cut from McDonalds coffee stirrers and secured with PVA, tiny pieces of the same will represent staked uprights. Once all the wooden bits are secure, they will be stained with a thin grey wash

IMG_1500.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg
The Chopper is essential to maintain consistent sizes of hardwood slices.

Acrylmasse3.jpg
Acrylmasse2.jpg

Acrylmasse from Stangel will be used on the platform surface, it is self-coloured, has no solvents, adheres well and has a textured finish appropriate to gravel.

Thanks for your patience

Tim

Last edited:

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Some years ago we spent our summer break in a house near Ebermannstadt. It was rather imposing, built in the ‘30s for a member of a certain party that was popular at the time but subsequently divided into separate apartments. The style is known as Kaffeemühlenhaus and it originated in the Hamburg area at the turn of the 20th century as homes for the merchant class. The style was endlessly replicated in both quiet residential suburbs or on the edges of villages for use either as homes or weekend residences.

HornetHaus.jpg

The design was adaptable, normally a square block of two or more floors, a hipped or Dutch roof. Two floors for those of modest income, these were often built in pairs whilst the larger, more opulent were individual homes in their own grounds. The Kibri kit below is an example the more modest two storey version, a fine family home, thankfully , I have an unopened kit.

G4a.jpg

It is normal that this type of building is separate from the village and on Pottendorf, it will be positioned as appropriate to its status with a rather nice family garden with a gazebo amongst the flowers.

Gazebo.jpg

Last edited:

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
The next minor task is the farm, I try to build the layout as a series of mini-scenes that share a common DNA of colour and building styles. The farm is no exception, based on a simple farmyard featured in the Bad Windsheim museum’s guide to Frankische houses click on link to BOOKS, Germans tend to chronicle and publish some very interesting books. Anyhew, the farmyard is a simple U-shape with a barn on one side and farmhouse on t’other linked by a wall of local stone, this is no modern design but others like it can still be found in almost every Frankische village.

Bad Windsheim museum is a collection of relocated buildings, amongst the larger exhibit we found this delightful one-family home, on examination, the reaction is surprise is its size, bijoux.

20230604_01.jpg

However this is an advantage on P’dorf moreover Faller offer a kit of very similar appearance, one which was used on the old layout (below), the little home and the previously featured Wills barn will become the farmyard replete with paved courtyard and adjacent midden.

6359C9D1-50AF-4F2A-BE9D-016727509BBB.jpg
As anyone following this thread might have guessed, the layout is merely a series of glimpses into the past hopefully all seamlessly joined.

Tim

Last edited:

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
The next minor task is the farm, I try to build the layout as a series of mini-scenes that share a common DNA of colour and building styles. The farm is no exception, based on a simple farmyard featured in the Bad Windsheim museum’s guide to Frankische houses click on link to BOOKS, Germans tend to chronicle and publish some very interesting books. Anyhew, the farmyard is a simple U-shape with a barn on one side and farmhouse on t’other linked by a wall of local stone, this is no modern design but others like it can still be found in almost every Frankische village.

Bad Windsheim museum is a collection of relocated buildings, amongst the larger exhibit we found this delightful one-family home, on examination, the reaction is surprise is its size, bijoux.

View attachment 188154

However this is an advantage on P’dorf moreover Faller offer a kit of very similar appearance, one which was used on the old layout (below), the little home and the previously featured Wills barn will become the farmyard replete with paved courtyard and adjacent midden.

View attachment 188155
As anyone following this thread might have guessed, the layout is merely a series of glimpses into the past hopefully all seamlessly joined.

Tim

That's a lovely scene you depicted Tim. It looks great. I've been planning a similar garden for my crossing keeper cottage.

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Nice one, Tim. The pictures reminded me of many happy times in the past eating out in the sunshine at many locations in the Rhine valley with my late friend Artur Simons, albeit they are in a somewhat different region. The English parallel to the weather you describe has to be over the "Long Drag" where experiencing four seasons in an afternoon is a well-known saying!

Roger.

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Other odd features missing from layouts, especially those pertaining to be German, are posters. Ordinary fly-art posters advertising all sorts of oddities from religious festivals (ultra normal) to pseudo-religious festivals such as tractor shows and volunteer fire crew open days (ultra normal) both of which have to include the consumption of beer and meat.
IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0866.jpg

And the plain weird, a guy on a very small tractor pulling an ultra small shepherd’s hut but he is a mobile apiarist. The tractor had a München plate and he was on his way home from the Harz, met him in Oberfranken……..

IMG_2661.jpg

The posters are a simple photoshop exercise, the post box is a bit too modern, however the tractor guy will need some thought. There are a few small huts used by road gangs still in the older ranges of plastic kit manufacturers added to a 4w platform trolley.

All this might look odd to our psyche but it is utterly normal along with a few dozen other icons of life in Frankenland.

michael080

Western Thunderer
Other odd features missing from layouts, especially those pertaining to be German, are posters.
These poster may seem strange, but the have been (and may still be) an important part of social life for the young generation in rural regions.
These folks won't meet many boys and girls locally, they need to meet at these "Kirchweih" or "Kerwa" which may translate as country fair. Meeting the other sex was hard in these regions, not comparable to urban environment.

Michael

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
This is my last trip abroad, even worse, the last to Oberfranken. My task is to record those anomalies that are unseen to those who take them for granted, such as these monstrosities.
Despite the requirement for age verification, they are still plenty of the old mechanical types in the more rural areas.

IMG_2662.jpeg