Dublingham Goods Station

Western Thunderer
Some more shots. At GETS I only ran pure Dublo stock, except the Airfix meat van, this works better now in concept for me. All the old kit built vans are going EM.
Tony

View attachment 200621
View attachment 200620
View attachment 200618View attachment 200619

Sorry, I’m probably being a bit slow here …

I have never seen your wonderful layout, so I’m not working out what the ‘’something new’ is. Also, I’m not knowledgeable about Hornby Dublo, so not clear exactly which vehicles are Dublo and which are other manufacturers’.

Apologies if all is apparent earlier in the thread.

Western Thunderer
Sorry, the something new is in fact old, my Dublo 8f, reworked and resprayed. Has Romford wheels and 40:1 gears, sprung buffers and new handrails, with correct sized tender wheels in the right alignment with the axleboxes. Here's a shot of it with my poor old 4MT. It's an Airfix kit on a Dublo chassis, but has very poor adhesion, I couldn't get enough weight in it.

But I have plans to put an Airfix 1001 motor in the 8f, will fit straight in by the looks of it and has a nice beefy armature, compared to the weedy Dublo one, shown below.

IMG_20200322_095202.jpg
IMG_20200219_213841.jpg
My van fleet was made up of various kits on Dublo chassis, but these are all going EM now, except the meat van, all replaced with the standard van and the conflat / furniture container. They just didn't gel together with original Dublo stock, mostly to do with the paint colours and transfers being scale, rather than pad printed as per Dublo stock.
Tony

20170413_151716_HDR-1.jpg

Western Thunderer
Sorry, the something new is in fact old, my Dublo 8f, reworked and resprayed. Has Romford wheels and 40:1 gears, sprung buffers and new handrails, with correct sized tender wheels in the right alignment with the axleboxes. Here's a shot of it with my poor old 4MT. It's an Airfix kit on a Dublo chassis, but has very poor adhesion, I couldn't get enough weight in it.

But I have plans to put an Airfix 1001 motor in the 8f, will fit straight in by the looks of it and has a nice beefy armature, compared to the weedy Dublo one, shown below.

View attachment 200650
View attachment 200652
My van fleet was made up of various kits on Dublo chassis, but these are all going EM now, except the meat van, all replaced with the standard van and the conflat / furniture container. They just didn't gel together with original Dublo stock, mostly to do with the paint colours and transfers being scale, rather than pad printed as per Dublo stock.
Tony

View attachment 200649

Thank you.

All clear now.

I’m very ignorant about vintage 00, I’m afraid. In fact, I don’t know much about 00 at all. I do have two vintage (1950s) 00 locos which I believe are fitted with Romford wheels. I wasn’t clear whether these would require finer track standards than Dublo, but perhaps not? Or is your track to modern standards, rather than Dublo?

Western Thunderer
I believe the Hornby Collector's Association wrangled for some time as to whether to admit the Dublo fraternity, something about OO not being cricket... Which it isn't, it's OO.

The track is Peco code 100 with the added third rail, so still very much available, but maybe not modern.
Tony

Western Thunderer
I believe the Hornby Collector's Association wrangled for some time as to whether to admit the Dublo fraternity, something about OO not being cricket... Which it isn't, it's OO.

The track is Peco code 100 with the added third rail, so still very much available, but maybe not modern.
Tony

Thank you.

That’s a further indication that to run my two 1950s locos a layout with current 00 track should be suitable.

Western Thunderer
What brand are they? If Triang or Trix probably not. Dublo will.
They are van Riemsdyk, made in the early 1950s and retailed through Bassett-Lowke’s London shop. I’m pretty sure the wheels used are Romford, but since I am not familiar with the ranges of parts then on offer in 00, the wheels could be some other manufacturer.

The locos are plain but dimensionally accurate models (based on works drawings) of Peckett tank locos:

318B6250-2717-4BAA-A34A-81EBF51E34F7.jpeg

Western Thunderer
I've not heard of that manufacturer, just goes to show how much railway modelling history is possibly forgotten?
Tony

Western Thunderer
I've not heard of that manufacturer, just goes to show how much railway modelling history is possibly forgotten?
Tony
Best known for trams, but also produced 0 gauge locos. There’s a photo of the equivalent 0 gauge 0-6-0 on my Rivermead Central thread. The 0 gauge loco is freelance, but the two 00 gauge 0-6-0s were scale models of Peckett designs, albeit without much detail, reflecting their sheet-metal construction (tinplate — very traditional!). John van Riemsdyk sold his model business when he joined the staff of the Science Museum — where he rose to become Keeper of Engineering and was responsible for setting up the NRM on its current site in York. He also designed the first Gauge 1 live steam models made by Aster in the 1970s and ‘80s.

Western Thunderer
My Dublo 8f has always been sluggish, the armature on the half inch type motors are a little weedy, so having snapped up a brand new Airfix 1001 at a show for a fiver, I set about seeing if it can fit. Seems to work nicely so just need to trial it now.

Hopefully if it's good, I'll look at making a shorter tender to loco coupling, resolder the wiring properly and finally waft over some Matt varnish.
Tony
IMG_20231115_085124677_HDR.jpg

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
My Dublo 8f has always been sluggish, the armature on the half inch type motors are a little weedy, so having snapped up a brand new Airfix 1001 at a show for a fiver, I set about seeing if it can fit. Seems to work nicely so just need to trial it now.

Could you have used a can motor such as the Taff Vale 1227 or are these not deemed cricket in a (albeit modified) 1960s model? :eek:

Or was it just a case of the Airfix 1001 having the mounting hole(s) in the correct place for an effective DIR (Drop In Replacement)?