Dublingham Goods Station

simond

Western Thunderer
I don’t understand why it has become fashionable to print text on a coloured ground, particularly in museums & the like.

We visited the AI exhibition in Liverpool last week, the general space was quite dark, and presumably “atmospheric”, and the caption text was printed a little too small with poor contrast, eg black on grey. I resorted to using the torch on my phone to read some of it, but frankly it’s just bloody silly. If you’re going to the trouble of labelling something, then make it legible! Function before frills.

Despite the exhibition touching on the Sci-fi origins of AI, Sirius Cybernetics came in for very little attention. (Or if it did, I couldn’t read it…)

Western Thunderer
It'll certainly look good with GREAT CENTRAL GOODS & GRAIN WAREHOUSE emblazoned in faded white lettering across the stonework beneath the second floor windows.

I must confess I hadn't thought of adding the text and now I've printed all the sheets. I would like to add it, but suspect the only place to add it would be on the parapet, which in the kit is fitted separately and made of concrete, so white wouldn't show very well. However, I could redesign in brick and reprint, that's got me thinking now.

Tony

Western Thunderer
Dublingham will be at the Beckenham show this weekend, it's my first exhibition since covid. I've been reviving the layout this week following PAT testing to try and see if it all still works, which it does thankfully.

Link to the show website below.

Beckenham and West Wickham MRC

Tony

Reactions: AJC

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
I have taken the day off today to try and revitalise my mojo as the layout is due at the Exe show in 25 days. Started off with something easy on the brain, converting a Bachmann 08 to EM using Romford wheels. Not useful to the layout in any way shape or form, but it has fired up the mojo.
TonyView attachment 164252

Hi Tony. I shall look forward to finally seeing both you and this lovely layout at the show where I am also exhibiting a layout.

Rob.

Western Thunderer
Hi Tony. I shall look forward to finally seeing both you and this lovely layout at the show where I am also exhibiting a layout.

Rob.
Hi Rob, thank you and definitely likewise, which flavour of lamb are you taking? I still can't believe you do weathering with mainly powders.
Cheers
Tony

MarkR

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob,
Many thanks for the Exe Exhibition information, as you say, a little lacking!
Mark

Stuart D

Tony,
I have only just come across this thread and must say how much I have enjoyed reading through it. The operational aspect of model railways does seem to have taken a back seat in recent decades, as technical precision in model-making has advanced - although I can't think that they were ever incompatible. Delighted to encounter someone else who is keen on operating to a 'timetable' - as a friend puts it : "I like my trains to have come from somewhere and be going somewhere". For me that gives purpose to the model - definitely a case of making 'a model of a railway' rather than 'railway models'. Can't recall who said that, either Peter Denny or P.D.Hancock, as I've been reading their respective books recently; but in their cases they were rather good at doing both!!
Thank you very much for providing me with a good deal of enjoyment, and unfortunately Exeter is rather a long way from me or I'd be making a bee-line to the exhibition.

Western Thunderer
Tony,
I have only just come across this thread and must say how much I have enjoyed reading through it. The operational aspect of model railways does seem to have taken a back seat in recent decades, as technical precision in model-making has advanced - although I can't think that they were ever incompatible. Delighted to encounter someone else who is keen on operating to a 'timetable' - as a friend puts it : "I like my trains to have come from somewhere and be going somewhere". For me that gives purpose to the model - definitely a case of making 'a model of a railway' rather than 'railway models'. Can't recall who said that, either Peter Denny or P.D.Hancock, as I've been reading their respective books recently; but in their cases they were rather good at doing both!!
Thank you very much for providing me with a good deal of enjoyment, and unfortunately Exeter is rather a long way from me or I'd be making a bee-line to the exhibition.
Thank you Stuart, that's very kind of you to say. For me explaining operation is just as important as operating itself, hence the large monitor. What I found fascinating about the pre-Beeching railway is just how much of the nation's goods were transported. I think the Denny timetable I have 'borrowed', shows just that variety.

I'm doing the Olney and Shenfield shows in September if that's any nearer to you.
Cheers
Tony

Western Thunderer
Third show in four weeks tomorrow, Sudbury.

I did the Olney at the beginning of September and Shenfield two weeks later. I had often wondered if the video some attendees take of my layout ever makes it to YouTube, and obviously yes, it does.

First link is Shenfield.

Second is the Exe show, earlier in June.

Happy to see my locos played ball in these videos.

Progress is still slow on the layout, but it is at least moving forward.
Tony