Dublingham Goods Station

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
For anyone who has not seen this layout, and is going to the Luton show, you're in for a treat.

Not only does the layout itself look splendid but Tony's presentation is superb.

Love it !

Rob

Western Thunderer
Thanks Rob, that's really kind of you to say. I'm still striving to get to your level. I've been steeling myself to start weathering an EM wagon using your techniques.
Cheers
Tony

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Hi Tony
It has only taken me 5 years to read this thread but I have certainly enjoyed it and above all I think you have made a very remarkable model of a real railway. Very nice.
On a more humorous note....
In the earlier threads Mick Simpson points us to the Google images for shelf layouts...
Tony,

Apologies for lateness of my reply.

Albion Yard is something different and makes use of what Paul describes as the 'Long View' and as you say, is wonderful. However, if you're minded to google 'images for shelfie model railway' you will see Paul's excellent minimum space creation - well worth studying.

Mick S.

Hmm I did that and was very red faced with the selfie images!!!! That took some explaining "but I think I got away with it"

There is mention of Peter Denny etc. About operation, I do remember fondly of a Sunday afternoon operating Geoff Bigmore's O gauge garden railway including an interlude for cucumber sandwiches made by Mrs Bigmore. Not sure if much was ever written about his outdoor line, but he was very much into the operation to a proper timetable with all things done in a true railway like manner. I will always feel privileged to have been invited on that day.

One day I hope to be able to see your creation but in the meantime thank you for sharing.

All the best and safe surfing the 'net!

Julian

Western Thunderer
Thank you Julian for your kind words. The layout is going to Luton, Faversham, Silverfox and GETS this year if any of those are near to you.

The timetable display is a big 24" monitor and often goes unnoticed, which is a bit of a personal fail. But I always try to point it out and start a conversation about it.

Yes, safe surfing indeed is the watchword these days.
Cheers
Tony

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Hi Tony
Your welcome. Another layout from the late 60s or very early 70s was Bossington, it was featured in the RM then and has been revamped as per article in a RM last year. A small OO gauge branch terminus with lots going on.
The owner used a taped commentary at the exhibitions to tell the audience what was happening, I remember it at the Easter MRC show.
Maybe your audience is taken by the operation of the layout to notice the screen which you should take as a compliment. A more hi-tech screen may be too distracting...
Thanks for the list but where is GETS?
All the best
Julian

daifly

Western Thunderer
Here's a similar mill/canopy at Weavers Mill Swansea in 1952. As it was a flour mill, the important thing was not to let the sacks get wet so the canopy extended out over the wagon.
The platform (hidden by the vans) was also continuous - too dangerous/inconvenient to have any gaps in the middle! The two canopy extensions allowed wagons on the second siding to be filled simultaneously by passing through the vans at the platform.
Dave
Weavers dock 1952 copy.png

Last edited:

Western Thunderer
That's almost Heath Robinson, but interesting because there's two roads there? One to file away for the next project...
Tony

Western Thunderer
Where does the modelling world stand on fixing buildings down? I'm worried that by fixing down my large warehouse I won't be able to remove the backscene if I wanted to. I think I'm worrying unnecessarily and should just glue the thing in.

I also don't have enough depth to the 30mm bluefoam baseboard to make a hole for it to slot into.

Tony

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Much ado about nothing methinks :).

If you're thinking about it then you probably don't need to remove the backscene - especially if you haven't had to remove it during the construction and subsequent operation of the layout.

I just go in with all guns blazing and stick all buildings and other scenic items down to make sure they don't move when in transit :eek:. Less items to faff around with when setting set up at exhibitions, etc ;).

Western Thunderer
Well, the only thing about my backscene is it partially covers up the wiring for the layout lighting, but only at one edge. So I guess I can get away with it and just glue it all down.
Cheers
Tony

Western Thunderer
Still mucking about with the warehouse. It needs strengthening at the back, especially as it will get glued in, so won't be accessible. I couldn't be bothered to chop more card, so just glued coffee stirrers in wherever I could.
Tony

IMG_20230407_220755215.jpg

Western Thunderer
I know, but I'm loosing the will to live and considering making all the doors closed, so wouldn't have to bother. Unfortunately, you're right, I do have a ratio hoist to go in there somewhere along with other stuff.
Tony

Western Thunderer
More work on the warehouse, it had a spree of green doors fitted. Will fit them all but thought this will do for now.

Importantly for transport to the next show at Luton, the whole thing is now screwed into the cabinet and removable for further work.
Tony

IMG_20230410_182247794_HDR.jpg

Western Thunderer
I've been musing on what to do about this corner on the layout, so finally tried out a scenario once the warehouse was screwed into place. Still think I need taller legs or I put seats in front of the layout so everyone including the kids gets a view.

IMG_20230410_151845937_HDR.jpgIMG_20230410_151832409_HDR.jpgIMG_20230410_151516526.jpgIMG_20230410_151204668_HDR.jpgIMG_20230410_151013297_HDR.jpgIMG_20230410_151028877_HDR.jpg

Western Thunderer
Luton show was great, really nice show, well organised. Lots of very good layouts too.

IMG_20230422_121318769_HDR.jpg

I found out my point switches have burnt out due to not using a CDU. Fortunately I have a Seep one kicking around so will fit it.

I also got the backscene wet during unloading so will get it remade in a style like @Neil ones.

Tony

Last edited: