Dublingham Goods Station

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
The layout looks good - nice and simple backscene to keep the eye focused on the main subject.

Personally I've never been a fan of the 'Peco Helicopter' photos, however, I do feel one of the entire layout is sufficient to provide an overall context. My preference is for long or medium shots taken at scale eye-level as in the second one above.

Western Thunderer
Thank you Dave. I am struggling with the backscene at the moment as I got some rain on it and being waterbased inks has spots all over it, so needs replacing. Am considering putting an image of a building on the right hand side between the warehouse and the building with the large blue door, but I keep thinking it should stay simple.
Tony

2023-Dublingham_009.jpg2023-Dublingham_042.jpg

Western Thunderer
Thank you Dave. I am struggling with the backscene at the moment as I got some rain on it and being waterbased inks has spots all over it, so needs replacing. Am considering putting an image of a building on the right hand side between the warehouse and the building with the large blue door, but I keep thinking it should stay simple.
Tony

View attachment 187038View attachment 187039
I think it looks great just as it is. The plain sky background looks absolutely right to me.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Am considering putting an image of a building on the right hand side between the warehouse and the building with the large blue door, but I keep thinking it should stay simple.

If you feel you need to fill the gap, rather than make a building why not just paint faded grey shapes on the backscene as @Neil has done in his thread Life in a Northern Town.

Here as an example I've just lifted a photo of Poplar in the 1950s and faded it.

ju4oq8xa.jpg

Western Thunderer
Wow! Thank you Dave for whipping these up, that's really kind of you. I had been thinking of @Neil 's approach. He used flat grey, but the faded grey images look really good. I shall experiment.
Tony

Neil

Western Thunderer
I like the faded grey method. As Northern Town lives in my garage I worry about the use of paper and card gradually absorbing any moisture so I needed a painted approach and I wanted to see how minimal I could go. For a smaller indoor layout I would have no worries about print outs or paintings/drawings on paper fading away to grey.

simond

Western Thunderer
I’m storing up these ”minimal” grey backscenes for future use because I think it is very effective.

there’s a question about just how many shades of grey, but perhaps for a different forum…

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
I do "like" the overall effect of the layout and the setting, very well presented.
Thank you for sharing and please keep posting.
Cheers
Julian

Western Thunderer
Thank you Julian, I shall indeed keep posting. I have two more shows this year, Silverfox MRC and GETS, both in Milton Keynes, so still plenty of deadlines to meet.
Tony

Western Thunderer
The Silverfox show is fast approaching and the point switches failed at Luton because I didn't install a CDU. I installed a secondhand CDU today and replaced the five switches because they burnt out. There's no buzzing noise when I throw the points, just a clean sounding throw.

Lesson learnt, should have installed one at the beginning.

Anyway, the Silverfox show is on the 19th.

IMG_20230805_164659145.jpg

IMG_20230805_164634014.jpg
Tony

Western Thunderer
I've got a write up on Dublingham ahead of the GETS show in October, very happy with that!

Western Thunderer
Have wanted to make the locking mechanism on the fiddle yard more reliable, so have fitted a number of four pronged t-nuts to both the baseboard and the sliding fiddle yard as shown below.
Tony

IMG_20230812_124607356.jpg

Western Thunderer
A big push to get the layout ready for GETS in two weekends time is underway, the rain ruined backscene is out, a new water resistant one goes in tomorrow. The same goes for the main sign, this time a glossy one is going on that better looks like an enamel sign.

Tony

IMG_20230930_195849680_HDR.jpg

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
It's really nice to see the correct typeface in use, as I would have expected you to have done so :thumbs:.

Put a fourth rail down and use Johnston Underground and you'll have a LT yard :).

As an aside I didn't realise Eric Gill was Edward Johnston's pupil while they worked together at the London Underground Group prior to it's 1933 amalgamation into LPTB.

Western Thunderer
Thank you @Yorkshire Dave, I do try to get my typefaces right, if you're going to count rivets, you should get your typefaces right!!

I didn't know Gill worked with Johnston at that time, but as both were artists they would have known each other. I always thought that Gill basically ripped off Johnston for monotype, but then Johnston ripped off the Romans, so not even his typeface was really new.

Many at exhibition have asked where is the fourth rail? Some even asked if the third rail is actually live, whilst others didn't even notice it! All part of the banter of exhibitions which is really good fun.

Cheers
Tony