7mm Dikitriki's Dark side: A WD 2-8-0

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
After looking at the last few photos of all that valve gear, con-rods & what-have-you, I have to :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: to the New Dark Side... just how on earth you get all that metal spaghetti to work properly is surely some kind of witchcraft or Dark Art..??!?? :eek: :confused: :thumbs:

+1 from me, great to see the Dark Side up and running and I have to say about the best looking ' Jim Harris Rescue ' I've ever seen. Definately worth all the effort rebuilding the front end Richard, now to the pipe work around the cab..............:headbang::))

ATB Mick :thumbs:

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi

I've been working on the driver's side, below the footplate, replacing Jim Harris's white-metal lumps with some decent brass castings from Ragstone and Sanspareil and a bit of scratch building. There's more on this side than I initially thought, and it's taken an age to locate everything, research pipework, and make sure there is still clearance for the trailing truck.

P1010438.JPG

P1010439a.JPG

Speedo is still to do, and then pipework, clips and levers. Fun, fun, fun.

Cheers

Richard

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Fun, fun, fun.

That looks very tasty, :thumbs: . Almost makes me think about looking for "Darkside" in the AA Route Planner ;) .

A couple of comments if I may.

[1] what is the purpose of the fitting that is bolted under the live steam injector? (where I expect to see an overflow valve).
[2] the water feed pipe and the injector delivery pipe look to be rather long to be unsupported... I might expect there to be a bracket and clip to prevent the pipes from flexing (and then fracturing from fatigue).
[3] if the vertical copper strip represents a cleading band then how is that band secured at the bottom edge?

regards, Graham

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
[1] what is the purpose of the fitting that is bolted under the live steam injector? (where I expect to see an overflow valve).
Hopper ashpan operating lever (mine is minus the lever at the moment). The injector overflow is the bottom pipe which goes behind the ashpan and exits on the other side of the loco.

[2] the water feed pipe and the injector delivery pipe look to be rather long to be unsupported... I might expect there to be a bracket and clip to prevent the pipes from flexing (and then fracturing from fatigue).
No clips. They are unsupported from flange to flange, and bounce about all over the place.

[3] if the vertical copper strip represents a cleading band then how is that band secured at the bottom edge?
By a bolt towards the bottom of the firebox. Some of the pipe clip retaining bolts also go through the band on the side of the firebox.

regards, Graham

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Thank you, surprised that no clips on the injector pipes. I was thinking about the connection between the injector and the overflow pipe rather than the rocking grate mechanism. I wonder why the design team had to produce the right angle casting when a simple 90 degree bend in a pipe would have done.

regards, Graham

dibateg

Western Thunderer
The Brit looks excellent Richard - ther cannot be much more to add, will you be painting it if the sun ever comes back in the near future?

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi

Meanwhile, back on the work bench, I have done the speedo on the Brit and made a good start with the rest of the pipework on this side.

Tony.... there's stacks of detail to add, and I haven't even started on the other side. I suspect I shall run out of time on this before I have to get back to the locos the layout really needs, and Robin Hood will quietly resume its place as a shelf queen.:'(

P1010448.JPG

P1010450.JPG

The speedo cable is a little too big - I need to find my scrap wire box, but it will serve until I do.

Cheers

Richard

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Richard,

What are you using for boiler bands on your Brit? Copper tape?

Steph

Yes - self adhesive copper tape - pretty much dead scale in thickness. But only for the unlined bands. The lining transfers/tape will serve for the lined bands without anything underneath.

Richard

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Yes - self adhesive copper tape - pretty much dead scale in thickness. But only for the unlined bands. The lining transfers/tape will serve for the lined bands without anything underneath.

Richard

You can consider that idea will be well and truly plagiarised... ;)

Steph

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Very nice work indeed Richard, my favourate part of modelling is definately the little details. I too really like the copper tape idea, can you point me in the direction of a supplier please?

Cheers Mick

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Thanks Richard I'll aquire some soonest, silly qeustion but I take it it can be removed with a backing on it then cut to the suitable width and stuck on? Also will it take any heat at all or is it preferable to make it the last job before painting?

Cheers Mick

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Thanks Richard I'll aquire some soonest, silly qeustion but I take it it can be removed with a backing on it then cut to the suitable width and stuck on? Also will it take any heat at all or is it preferable to make it the last job before painting?

Cheers Mick

I cut off a strip - backing sheet 'n all - about 2 inches longer than I need.
This is taped to a cutting mat, then strips of the appropriate width cut through the copper with a new scalpel.
Each strip is gently teased off. You can't peel it like normal tape as, being metal, it will crinkle.
That makes it quite tricky to use, as you have to try to minimise the bending eg under handrails.
You will get marks in it. I use a pice of slightly rounded plastic card to stroke them out and to ensure adhesion.

It will take heat - I used the microflame on the firebox to attach the castings - but I try to minimise the abuse I give it. I attach it as late on in the modelling process as I can.

Incidentally, that on the Brit has been on for about 14 years, obviously not secured with paint, and as you can see, it is still in fine condition.

2 massive advantages. 1) its pretty quick to put on, and no cleaning up. 2) If you get it wrong, rip it off and start again, with no faffing about trying to remove soldered bands. I initially came up with the idea when trying to put boiler bands on a resin firebox. I'd tried gluing plastic card but that was a mess, tape didn't seem too durable if put on as part of the build, so metal tape seemed a wortwhile punt.

Cheers

Richard

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi Mick

I would also say that I have just soldered a pipe clip to the boiler band - 145 deg and very quickly - and it has not had any ill effect, either the soldering or the cleaning up!

Richard

B

bilboe43106

Hi Mick

I would also say that I have just soldered a pipe clip to the boiler band - 145 deg and very quickly - and it has not had any ill effect, either the soldering or the cleaning up!

Richard
brit looks very very good
look forward to seeing it runing painted alongside vulcan

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Hi Mick

Richard

Thanks for the tips Richard, i'll definately have a go with this. To my mind it's also easier than using the strip from slater's and other suppliers as although it looks the part it's not easy to fit or use and you have to have several different sizes in stock. Much easier to cut to the width you need,

ATB Mick