7mm Dikitriki's Dark side: A WD 2-8-0

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I look forward to the day when we can muster 4 Brits on Heyside.

Thought of the day and one which has plenty of mileage. With the wide period of history represented by the names of that class, which four names might present a good scenario for a thriller.... for example:- what would Oliver Cromwell have done on meeting Robin Hood? or Shakespeare said on meeting Chaucer?

Or - choose your three from those names which were used..... and then introduce a fourth name by claiming '47' as a wild card.

Scanlon

Western Thunderer
Thought of the day and one which has plenty of mileage. With the wide period of history represented by the names of that class, which four names might present a good scenario for a thriller.... for example:- what would Oliver Cromwell have done on meeting Robin Hood? or Shakespeare said on meeting Chaucer?

Just to make things a tad more interesting, what name would you give to '47' so as to enhance the plot?
Has to be Macbeth"

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi Guys

As a professional scattergun modeller 8th dan, the Britannia had been put away - with less than 1 year to Aylesbury, I have to concentrate on Heyside's needs as opposed to Dikitriki's wants.

Now on the workbench are Tweedledum and Tweedledee

P1010493.jpg

P1010496.jpg

The one on the left with the painted chassis is sound-equipped with a Paul Chetter J94 sound profile and sounds great - it was an Ebay purchase that I have completely rebuilt. I didn't quite reduce it to a kit, but not too far off! The one on the right has inside valve gear shown here:

Some individual shots:

P1010497.jpg

P1010498.jpg

P1010500.jpg

And finally a close-up of the front end. I've added Scale hardware bolts to retain the buffer stocks, Grandt Line bolts to retain the front of the sandbox, and Laurie Griffin lamp irons and sandbox fillers.

P1010497a.JPG

I have to say I really like these L&Y survivors, they have so much character. They will help to reinforce Heyside's L&Y background and the idea is that they will mostly kick around the yard as pilot or shunter, only occasionally being released on a train.

Cheers

Richard

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Now on the workbench are Tweedledum and Tweedledee...

Just trying to raise the tone of this thread... I recall a ballet circa 1980 which was either called T&T or featured the characters of T&T... anyone recall the name of the ballet and the company?

regards, Graham

daifly

Western Thunderer
Just trying to raise the tone of this thread... I recall a ballet circa 1980 which was either called T&T or featured the characters of T&T... anyone recall the name of the ballet and the company?

regards, Graham
The Royal Ballet 1978/9. Google knew, I didn't!

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Very nice indeed Richard. I too have a love of these little tanks, nice to see the two different smoke box doors modelled. Are the resin tanks commercially avaliable as a separate item? I only ask as I have an old George Norton kit and the tank is all etched brass ?

ATB Mick

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Me too, any chance of a description of how you did it?

Hi

The crankpin retaining nuts come as a cast sprue from either CPL or JLTRT. Clean up, thin down, tap 12 BA.

They are actually GWR, but seem OK for most regions, better than 12BA nuts, that's for sure.

Simples.

Richard

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Very nice indeed Richard. I too have a love of these little tanks, nice to see the two different smoke box doors modelled. Are the resin tanks commercially avaliable as a separate item? I only ask as I have an old George Norton kit and the tank is all etched brass ?

ATB Mick

Hi Mick

Probably!

The one on the left is an early Chowbent kit - you will note that only the tank is resin.

The one on the right is a later Chowbent kit, and here the smokebox, boiler, firebox and tank is a one-piece resin casting. JLTRT now market the saddle tank, and I believe it still has the same one-piece casting. JLTRT sometimes make spares available, so I can only suggest that you email them (Laurie).

Cheers

Richard

ceejaydee

Western Thunderer
What a lovely pair of locos.
They really do look so handsome 'in the raw' that whilst it isn't really a shame to cover the workmanship with paint, it sort of is at the same time; I'm sure you know what I mean?

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
They really do look so handsome 'in the raw' that whilst it isn't really a shame to cover the workmanship with paint, it sort of is at the same time; I'm sure you know what I mean?

A pre=requisite of being on the dark side is an ability to understand / predict /guess what is meant when the text says something else.... this is an attribute of many WT members.

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Hi Mick

Probably!

The one on the left is an early Chowbent kit - you will note that only the tank is resin.

The one on the right is a later Chowbent kit, and here the smokebox, boiler, firebox and tank is a one-piece resin casting. JLTRT now market the saddle tank, and I believe it still has the same one-piece casting. JLTRT sometimes make spares available, so I can only suggest that you email them (Laurie).

Cheers

Richard

Cheers Richard, I'll give it a go,

ATB Mick :thumbs: