Weathered Locos & Stock

AJC

Western Thunderer
To be entirely honest I know nothing about the technicalities of' Shocvans' (or any other wagons for that matter) but having looked at the excellent work carried out on these models, and examined the close up quite carefully, may I, as a mere layman, offer the view that the body is so mounted to allow some 'to-and fro' movement along the underlying girders as part of it's shock-absorbing action in 'rough shunts' ? Hence the elevated appearance.
Just a thought ;) !

Roger

The bodies on the real thing only sit a smidgeon above the solebar (as a quick Google will show you).

Adam

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the kind comments.
The wagon in question is a Dapol ex-PO one, so the paint job is already applied.
I over paint the planks and such with a near matched colour (acrylic) and then scratch back through -with a cocktail stick - to the original paint finish in the direction of the planking . For any bear wood, it’s the same process, in that I apply it - quite crudely really - then gently scratch back to the RTR surface until I’m happy with the effect. It’s then matt varnished, but not heavily as I don’t what to flatten all the effects I’ve tried hard to create.
Hope that’s useful.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I assume the cocktail stick is applied to the paint when dry?

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
The bodies on the real thing only sit a smidgeon above the solebar (as a quick Google will show you).

Adam
I have done as you suggested and looked at Paul Bartlett's fine selection of views of the said vehicle on Google. I take your point and can now better understand the mounting and operation of the absorption springs. The clearance is obviously much less. I suppose the best answer would be to see if all of the models from this maker - assuming it is a commercial model - are the same, or is this just a one off? We may never know :eek: !
Whatever the answer, it does not detract from the superb weathering .

Roger

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
I have done as you suggested and looked at Paul Bartlett's fine selection of views of the said vehicle on Google. I take your point and can now better understand the mounting and operation of the absorption springs. The clearance is obviously much less. I suppose the best answer would be to see if all of the models from this maker - assuming it is a commercial model - are the same, or is this just a one off? We may never know :eek: !
Whatever the answer, it does not detract from the superb weathering .

Roger
Thanks for the kind comments on the weathering Roger.

Quintus

Western Thunderer
Neil, I have viewed all the photos on this thread, they are a pleasure to see. It doesn't get any better than this, brilliant work indeed.
Regards
Mike

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
I’ve just completed the weathering on the second of 3 Masterpiece Models 2800s I have to undertake.
This is the Collett version, a member of the 2884 Class numbered in the 3800 series.
*I should add that John Glaze has let me know - in the GWR period - that the safety valve cover should be green, not polished brass (not that it’s very polished here!).11347165-9FA1-4D48-93CF-4AF3E9107FF5.jpegB918D19F-E2CD-42AA-8A72-A9A4CAFF8704.jpeg9AE4BE55-10E1-4C3D-ACA5-AB4C270E827B.jpegAB72F630-42C1-49F5-9180-D2CF928A3ABC.jpeg772DAEA5-2982-4C63-B0F0-4AB0A0C07BFA.jpegA6180AFA-20FA-40D1-8959-0D07A949489C.jpeg