Weathered Locos & Stock

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
Thank you Julian - very kind.
I’ve not cracked this yet, probably never will, but I’ll keep trying to up the realism.

Overseer

Western Thunderer
A set of RTR wagons ‘straight out of the box’ I’ve just completed the weathering of. I believe the two coal wagons are Dapol and the vans Minerva(?).
I enjoyed reproducing the worn lettering. I’ve got a lot more work to do on the ‘worn lettering area’ in future though…View attachment 184738View attachment 184739View attachment 184745View attachment 184740View attachment 184741View attachment 184743View attachment 184742View attachment 184744
On the topic of worn lettering, it was not just the sign writing paint wearing off. The body colour beneath would have been protected so would be closer to its original colour than the surrounding paint. Also the type of paint used should be considered when weathering, some paint types and colours fade while others darken. As Bob Essery noted in Midland Wagons the Midland grey was mixed from white lead and some black so started pale and ended up near black when exposed to high atmospheric sulphur levels, while the lettering stayed bright white as it contained oxalic acid so was self cleaning. The other mainline companies also used oxalic paint for lettering but I have no idea if PO wagon letterers also used it.

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
Neil.

Please describe your method for creating a puddle and damp ground.

thank you, Graham
Morning Graham.
The puddle is undertaken exactly (or as closely as I can achieve) as Gordon Gravett reproduces them;
Microscope slide (available from CPL? Or the web) painted one side ‘puddle colour’, browns-greys-greens, and placed in a space set out for it - shiny side up of course. Surrounding ground is built around it, again using the usual filler-artex-etc. Then once the filler-artic-etc that surrounds the puddle is dry, it’s painted, but using an oil wash creating that recently wet look by using the shades of the puddle colour to surround the puddle itself, making the wash more thin as it gets further away from the puddle.
Hope that makes sense?
In truth, my puddles here are too deeply inset to my eye. ‘Next time’ I’d like to make them closer to the surrounding surface.
Neil.

Last edited:

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
On the topic of worn lettering, it was not just the sign writing paint wearing off. The body colour beneath would have been protected so would be closer to its original colour than the surrounding paint. Also the type of paint used should be considered when weathering, some paint types and colours fade while others darken. As Bob Essery noted in Midland Wagons the Midland grey was mixed from white lead and some black so started pale and ended up near black when exposed to high atmospheric sulphur levels, while the lettering stayed bright white as it contained oxalic acid so was self cleaning. The other mainline companies also used oxalic paint for lettering but I have no idea if PO wagon letterers also used it.
Thank you very much for this information.
It’s the elements that lift the work to the next level, and I always want to improve-achieve better the next time.

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
I don’t get that much chance to weather ‘modern image’ stuff, but the things I have done I’ve thoroughly enjoyed. What I have undertaken has tended to be German in outline.
Here though, I’ve recently completed the weathering on this Dapol 122 unit.
The model is otherwise ‘out of the box’.2ACFDAAF-53B8-4B70-B1A2-C566A00E50BE.jpeg9F6B893C-67A5-482B-9C98-C8FCB292FE42.jpegFD82B8A0-39AD-4C14-BADA-69AC9C6CB6F0.jpeg

cmax

Western Thunderer
I don’t get that much chance to weather ‘modern image’ stuff, but the things I have done I’ve thoroughly enjoyed. What I have undertaken has tended to be German in outline.
Here though, I’ve recently completed the weathering on this Dapol 122 unit.
The model is otherwise ‘out of the box’.View attachment 185608View attachment 185610View attachment 185609
Wow!, Come on, you're amongst friends, it's ok to say that's the real thing!
Superb or what, that's takes weathering to another level, AWESOME!

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
Another weathering job I’ve recently finished;
a Lee Marsh large prairie tank loco.
The brief was for a very clean, but working finish.
I spent a great deal of time dirtying, then cleaning and buffing all of the surfaces on the loco to give it this look.
The rods and piston rods took me hours and many layers of paint to get the desired result.
I may adjust the smokebox and tone it down further.7D236EE7-E620-4F72-8723-DBE7202E3CC7.jpegC2347B7C-F0B2-492D-81B8-A572D5538FDA.jpeg46A99D81-19C8-4484-976D-56A7D4B020A0.jpeg8B3A1750-8D7A-4180-BB06-84224D9B9DE9.jpegA5C662AF-0457-4F48-AED5-B7E636682972.jpeg

steve50

Western Thunderer
Another stunning piece! I found all this work very inspiring, so I watched the videos you did for the Gauge O Guild and had a go myself with a couple of 4mm wagons, underframes at least!
Have you ever done any 4mm stock? I found it was easy to put too much paint or powder on and start to obscure any detail and the sheen created doesn't look quite right on one of the wagons, that said I'm pleased with the result, enjoyed doing it and I'll keep practicing, I also think I may have to thin the paint a bit more too, I was worried it would just flood the area and not spread out. I just need to be a bit more refined I think.

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
Another stunning piece! I found all this work very inspiring, so I watched the videos you did for the Gauge O Guild and had a go myself with a couple of 4mm wagons, underframes at least!
Have you ever done any 4mm stock? I found it was easy to put too much paint or powder on and start to obscure any detail and the sheen created doesn't look quite right on one of the wagons, that said I'm pleased with the result, enjoyed doing it and I'll keep practicing, I also think I may have to thin the paint a bit more too, I was worried it would just flood the area and not spread out. I just need to be a bit more refined I think.
Thank you Steve.
Glad you had a go as a result of seeing what I get up to. Subtlety is key.
I’ve undertaken a fair bit of 4mm scale stuff - mainly coal wagons, for the Kingswear project I work on. There’s a whole lot more to do on that layouts stock, so things of interest I will post on occasion.
Fundamentally though I’m a 7mm scale weatherer.
Neil.