Weathered Locos & Stock

steve50

Western Thunderer
I've had a look through the Kingswear thread and the modelling is just mouthwatering, the planked wagons are superb! I also watched the youtube videos you've done for the GOG. I was wondering do ever layer the effects and do the oil paints stick to the factory finishes ok if you're doing that? Also would you treat a planked van in the same way or make a thin wash to get in between the individual planks?

Many thanks.
Steve.

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
Hi Steve,
My apologies it’s taken so long to get back to you; I’ve not been on here in a while.
The effects are all layered and I have no problem with the paint(s) adhering.
I treat a planked van in the same way as the mix gets pushed between the planks and sticks better than a wash.
Hope this is helpful.
Best wishes,
Neil.

Dai88D

Western Thunderer
View attachment 151834 View attachment 151833 I’ve posted a fair amount of my weathering work on various FB railway modelling pages, but this will be the first independently* on WT!
*Some 4mm scale weathered wagons I’ve undertaken appear in the Layout Progress section, ‘Kingswear’ thread.

The loco is a Robinson O4 built by David Andrews from his own kit and painted by John Cockcroft.
The weathering certainly won’t be everyone’s cup of tea, but I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge of replicating all the filth, grime and texture in 7mm scale.
The loco is depicted on Kevin Wilson’s wonderful Bucks Hill Model Railway.
(My photo)
Neil Podbery
I only ever saw one of these in real life, and it looked just like this! I think it’s harder to weather in 7mm than 4mm, so an especially well done. Sorry if thst sounded patronising)!): it’s miles better than my attempts.

steve50

Western Thunderer
Hi Steve,
My apologies it’s taken so long to get back to you; I’ve not been on here in a while.
The effects are all layered and I have no problem with the paint(s) adhering.
I treat a planked van in the same way as the mix gets pushed between the planks and sticks better than a wash.
Hope this is helpful.
Best wishes,
Neil.
Thank you, Neil.
The weathering on that A1 is another piece of stunning work and after watching the videos you did it's nice to know how you did it. I've been doing a bit of weathering using enamels, acrylics and just powders and next up I'll try the oils. I've airbrushed the underframes already. I can see immediately how the workability of the oils allows you to get the subtle effects. I've a couple of 16t steel mineral wagons to start on.

Steve.

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
Thank you, Neil.
The weathering on that A1 is another piece of stunning work and after watching the videos you did it's nice to know how you did it. I've been doing a bit of weathering using enamels, acrylics and just powders and next up I'll try the oils. I've airbrushed the underframes already. I can see immediately how the workability of the oils allows you to get the subtle effects. I've a couple of 16t steel mineral wagons to start on.

Steve.
I look forward to seeing the results on the 16T wagon Steve.

steve50

Western Thunderer
353199224_281546487567673_8167218006647998926_n.jpg348365388_732244272034954_3802830549800044244_n.jpg

I've finished one 16T wagon. My aim was a wagon that hasn't been in service too long but is starting to succumb to the effects of wear and tear. I really like the workability of the oil paints, I found it much easier to only put a small amount on and work it around. Definitely a method I'll use again.

steve50

Western Thunderer
Hi Neil, sorry to be a pain, but I've been watching and re watching the videos you did for The Gauge O Guild as I'm building up to weathering a loco! I was wondering what paints did you use for the underframes before you used the Omen Miniatures paints?
Also while reading the thread again I noticed you'd weathered a class 37 & 50, are there any photo's anywhere?

Last edited:

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
Hi Neil, sorry to be a pain, but I've been watching and re watching the videos you did for The Gauge O Guild as I'm building up to weathering a loco! I was wondering what paints did you use for the underframes before you used the Omen Miniatures paints?
Also while reading the thread again I noticed you'd weathered a class 37 & 50, are there any photo's anywhere?
No problem Steve,
Sorry I’m only just getting onto this!
I use an airbrush with a mucky mix of enamels first. I let that dry thoroughly, then use the Omen colours, weathering powders and oil paints over that.

steve50

Western Thunderer
No problem Steve,
Sorry I’m only just getting onto this!
I use an airbrush with a mucky mix of enamels first. I let that dry thoroughly, then use the Omen colours, weathering powders and oil paints over that.
Sorry Neil, I should have worded my question better, I wondered what range of paints you used before you found the Omen Minatures range.
The Hall looks superb! The subtleness of your weathering is what makes it so realistic, very inspirational indeed!