NHY 581

Western Thunderer
The J70 does look very much in keeping with Ewe. I used to have one myself, but it got moved on in the end (part of a shipment to Hattons), because the back-to-backs were too wide (at 14.75mm to 15mm) for the OO-SF pointwork on Bethesda Sidings.

Um.......

I may be looking at another Project Backwater........

Just looking you understand.....

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Hi Julian.

I now have two and they seem to run okay. They both need running in but straight out of the box, they are better than the previous two.

I'm pretty certain that the image is at Elm Bridge. It's a lovely image.

As are these. I'm trying to track down the photographer to attribute them correctly.

View attachment 164213View attachment 164214

Rob.
Top one is Outwell Village and the lower is Upwell (but you knew that anyway...)
Some of the later cabbed 04's had skirts as well (Ipswich etc) so the prototype for everything department comes up trumps again.
Ref:- Figure 108 D2281 "Diesels in East Anglia" Dr Ian Allen August 1968. (sorry no scan).

Rob

Rob R

Western Thunderer
As an aside, Worsley Works does an etched version of the Drewry shunter that covers most variants in a variety of scales.
Usual disclaimer (S Scale shelf queen awaiting it's turn).

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Even more lovely colour images....
Where are you finding these Rob, they must be towards the end of the line's life...so different then. No rush to get things done.....wish I could have seen this line or even an 04 as I don't think I ever saw one...not according to my ABC locospotters books.
Again thanks for sharing
Julian

NHY 581

Western Thunderer

I was completely wrong in my initial reply to this post from James.

Yes i know that the are not like the prototype but at £13.50 including postage i thought id try one out seeing as i have an 04 doing nothing ,

i do plan on filing in the windows ,and i am also a bit hit and miss with 3d resin prints so an experiment is ok .

unfortunately maybe that's where i differ as i am more of an impressionist , that one looks very nice though and if i were modelling the W&u then would look at that the sparkshot one .

I don't think you have to be James.......

Ref:- Figure 108 D2281 "Diesels in East Anglia" Dr Ian Allen August 1968. (sorry no scan).

Rob

Rob, I totally missed the significance of that image.

You are quite right of course. This does indeed show D2281 fitted with skirts and cowcatchers as per the W&U locos. However, 2281 is of the later batch and has the later windows. Therefore, this conversion is spot on. ( or at least way closer to prototype than I incorrectly first thought )

I'm still looking for further images of 2281 and I suspect 2282 was also so fitted but that loco is proving really elusive..

One thing that is evident is that 2281 was an example originally allocated to the Southern Region. It therefore has additional lighting and lamp irons dotted about the ends.

The game therefore, might well be ahoof........

Rob.

Rob R

Western Thunderer
I was completely wrong in my initial reply to this post from James.

I don't think you have to be James.......

Rob, I totally missed the significance of that image.

You are quite right of course. This does indeed show D2281 fitted with skirts and cowcatchers as per the W&U locos. However, 2281 is of the later batch and has the later windows. Therefore, this conversion is spot on. ( or at least way closer to prototype than I incorrectly first thought )

I'm still looking for further images of 2281 and I suspect 2282 was also so fitted but that loco is proving really elusive..

One thing that is evident is that 2281 was an example originally allocated to the Southern Region. It therefore has additional lighting and lamp irons dotted about the ends.

The game therefore, might well be ahoof........

Rob.
"Fleece Drove"?

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob,

You'd think.......... I've only found one other image of the railtour.

However, I've come across this image which confirms the arrangement of marker lights fitted to examples of Class 04 initially allocated to the Southern Region.

Photographer unknown, image sourced online from Robert Gadsdon on Flickr

D2281 @ Ipswitch.jpeg

Please see link below to Robert's Flicker account wgere you will find a huge number of excellent images.......

Rob.

Last edited:

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning all.

We may well see a bit of railway stuff and nonsense today. Once again the Room of Doom has become somewhat dishevelled and needs taking in hand so that is job no.1

Other than that, I'm not sure but all this talk of tram engines may lead me to a bit of J70 usage.

Rob.

Bagnall built

Mine arrived Wednesday Rob , looks very nice , my early Bachmann body shell took more mods then it said , like having to remover all the under parts off. Obviously needs hand rails and a repaint etc but I am glad I didn’t buy an 04 just for the job . 5020667B-2DA3-4975-A491-821000112D01.jpeg

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Mine arrived Wednesday Rob , look very nice , my early bachmann body shell took more mods then it said , like having to remover all the under parts off , obviously needs hand rails and a repaint etc but I am glad I didn’t buy an 04 just for the job . View attachment 164356

, scene looks very very nice , I am tempted by a j70 but I’ve heard some rumbles about running quality.

Thanks for the picture, James. Yes, it does look like my example will need the steps etc removing though it's a plain green job and I'm after a waspy one. I dithered over one on ebay a couple of days ago and missed it. One observation is that the cow catchers seem a bit flat but it might be the angle of the photo.

Including the two I have now, I've had six J70s. The skirted jobs suffer if they've had their skirts squeezed. Doesn't take much to put the onside of the skirts in contact with the abbreviated outside motion. This then manifests itself with a tightspot as the motion rotates leaving a mark on the inside of the skirting. I removed the outside motion on my earlier ones and this provided just enough clearance to restore order. A couple of others I had displayed a distinct wiggle and were returned.

The two I now have are much better, even straight from the box.

Rob.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning all,

A bit more research has yielded a couple more images.

First Generation Diesels in East Anglia by Alan Butcher has two images of the railtour featured in earlier post. Page 27 has an image of D2281 double heading with D2282. Both fitted with skirts and cowcatchers. The second image has D2281 only.

2281 has been bulled up for the tour whereas 2282 is in normal working condition though it does appear to have white grab handles on the doors to the engine compartment.

Rob.