Phil O

Western Thunderer
That's a cracking image, Rob........However, the location for the next layout will certainly be in the South. Not sure where yet. In order of personal preference we have L&SWR, LB&SCR then SECR so at present, your guess is as good as mine where this could end up notionally based........

Midhurst, offers the chance to cross the first two companies off the list.

Ewehurst might be a suitably sheepy name.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning Phil.

I've looked at Midhurst a long time ago for something entirely different. It's rather big as if I recall correctly, the stations are end on to each other (?) but some good features in both stations..........but way too big, even if compressed.

No, I do have an idea of what I'm going to do but with the current project due to be exhibited in a little under four months and still effectively at the bare boards stage, I need now to concentrate on that.

My issue is space. With three completed Cameo layouts and a fourth on the go, I need to carefully consider what format Project D with take. What I do know is, it cannot be large !

Rob.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Rob, it was more of a prototype for two end on branches owned by different companies, rather than building Midhurst itself.

Look forward to seeing the progress on whatever is on the bench at the time, an exhibition, certainly concentrates the mind.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Rob, it was more of a prototype for two end on branches owned by different companies, rather than building Midhurst itself.

Hi Phil,

Yep got that hence my point about the sheer size of such an undertaking. It's impractical. What I didn't make clear was I am talking geograohical location of any layout. There seems to have been much blurring of boundaries, post grouping, with regards to, say, ex LB&SCR locos staying within ex LB&SCR territory. Now I'm talking here of branchlines, not inter company workings or mainlines.
So to my mind a good example would be the trialling of a D1 on the Lyme Regis branch, albeit with reduced water capacity and cut down bunker. I of course have no intention to tamper with this loco as this would harm the livery and that's not an option. In the same vein, an ex SECR P Class was also trialled around the same time. It is this type of eventuality I would look to depict. What if the D1 had been successful? We could have had a couple of modified D1s running the Lyme Regis branch instead of the Radials. On this basis, the seeking of an actual location where two companies meet is not really needed.

As you perhaps realise by now, I apply quite a broad brush to my modelling.

More likely is I simply create a bijou ( extremly) ex LB&SCR branch terminus. I do after all already have a suitable LB&SCR station buiilding and signal box/ground frame. Just need something to use for a goods shed ( I have a couple of alternatives) and an engine shed ( oh, I have that as well). So pretty much there really.

Or I build a small wharf somewhere in Devon where an unmodified D1 found a home...........

But I need to sort out the current layout next.

Rob

Reactions: AJC

AJC

Western Thunderer
That D1 is a nice problem to have. Yeovil had a couple for push pull working in the ‘40s and I suppose that had my putative Ilchester branch (per the layout thread in my signature) been built they’d have been a natural choice until they wore out. Nice-looking engines.

Adam

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
That D1 is a nice problem to have. Yeovil had a couple for push pull working in the ‘40s and I suppose that had my putative Ilchester branch (per the layout thread in my signature) been built they’d have been a natural choice until they wore out. Nice-looking engines.

Adam

Morning Adam,

Thanks. Yes, that's how I see the D1 being deployed, so to speak. Well off it's stomping ground.
Just been catching up with Podimore by the way, as evidenced by a flurry of 'likes' in your general direction. Top thread.

Rob.

Reactions: AJC

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Now you're starting to talk the right language!

With that thought firmly tucked away, I went to the train shop. I felt safe in the knowledge that I had mentally tucked all thoughts of improbable Southern backwaters well out of sight and mind...

Wrong......

The curse of the kit built loco struck once again.....

0330 class.

20220104_123611-01.jpeg

20220104_125504-01.jpeg

T1.

20220104_125437-03.jpeg

It seems the improbable is looking increasingly probable.

Rob.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
To round things off this evening, a couple more images of the T1.

Once the current project is just about done, I will start looking at these locos.

In the case of the T1, cosmetically, I'd like to change a few fittings such as the whistle and clacks for finer, turned brass jobs, glazing to the cab and some nice etched brass Southern number plates. Certainly not in anyway losing the character of these locos just a little something where appropriate to hopefully enhance what is already there.

20220104_125457-01.jpeg.20d98fc28a8aa85536da98a0a8ac217b.jpeg

20220104_125445-01-01.jpeg.9715228ee52f951306235207ced3a424.jpeg

Rob.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Was there anybody else at the back of the class who thought it was an 02?
No?
Oh. Just me then. :(

Morning Rob.

Understandable.

Having seen this T1 sat in the shop alongside an O2, there is a difference in size. The O2 is smaller but that wouldn't be evident from the above photos.
It's not far off the size of an M7 but without doubt an unmistakably a L&SWR loco.

It's something different for sure.

Rob.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Was there anybody else at the back of the class who thought it was an 02?
No?
Oh. Just me then. :(

For a few seconds yes but the number wasn't right and it didn't quite look like an O2. A quick book flick later revealed it to be a T1, not a class I've previously seen modelled.

I'm sure SB will have lots of people commenting on his nice O2 at future shows. I'm also sure he'll have a suitable response...

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Morning Rob.

Understandable.

Having seen this T1 sat in the shop alongside an O2, there is a difference in size. The O2 is smaller but that wouldn't be evident from the above photos.
It's not far off the size of an M7 but without doubt an unmistakably a L&SWR loco.

It's something different for sure.

Rob.
I think you need a O2, T1 and M7 photo to illustrate the relative sizes.

AJC

Western Thunderer
Morning PC,

Thanks. I now have to buy an O2 and a M7........

Doh!

Which is presumably Chris's intention... To be serious for a sec' the quickest tell (apart from the numbers) between O2s and T1s are the front splashers which are much, much bigger. There's quite a few of these about owing to the Craftsman kit (as I assume yours is).

Adam

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Which is presumably Chris's intention... To be serious for a sec' the quickest tell (apart from the numbers) between O2s and T1s are the front splashers which are much, much bigger. There's quite a few of these about owing to the Craftsman kit (as I assume yours is).

Adam

Morning Adam,

I agree. I've been looking on line and it looks very similar to other assembled examples I've looked at.
I know that's no guarantee but there are only so many possibilities. From what I can see, it's either Craftsman or Jidenco.

My money's on Craftsman.

Rob.