4mm Polsarrett: BR(S) N Cornwall Clay, The Final Countdown

simond

Western Thunderer
Perhaps a simple single leg (broom handle?) under each end to prevent untoward happenings if someone leans on one or t‘other end?

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
These have caught my eye Chris on the other channel and might be useful for friends to bring their stock to run on your layout at shows.

I saw those. Nice but can soon run up to a hefty bill. I have a load of ply offcuts that are well seasoned and have been in the shed for 20 years. I plan on using those for the cassette based and then using some code 100 PECO on top.

The code 100 is probably approaching 15 years old. Was bought down at Wadebridge show on the occasion that we forgot to take the proper cassettes and had to improvise somewhat...

Starting to make the fiddle yards

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
So out in the garage again this afternoon. Rain way at various points somewhat sideways and coming under the garage door. Nice.

IMG_20220220_160235.jpg

If you go back about 14 months in the thread you'll note that in the original cutting list, and actually cut, were parts for the fiddle yards. These were planned to be quite petite. 900x300 t the left and something like 600x150 at the right.

Now, a year later I decided to learn from just about every layout I've been involved in. The initial fiddle yards have nearly always been found to be too small when used at shows. So this time I've just gone rogue and made both at 900x500.

That obviously meant that the ply I'd originally cut was a bit small. Nevermind, I had some other larger offcuts. But as usual all the bits were not quite right. So some bodgery was called for.

1020mm long lengths of square timber laid out and the various bits of ply glued and screwed to these. The rail saw was then used to chop them down to the size I wanted.

IMG_20220220_152630.jpg

And now we're at this point...

IMG_20220220_172649.jpg

It's all a bit chicken and egg. I need to sort out the cassettes so I can set the boards to the right height. But I need the boards in so I can sort the board joints out. To do that I need the cassettes.

Looks like I'm making cassettes next then...

Starting to make the cassettes

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
A work in progress...

IMG_20220222_193253.jpg
Spacing jig bodged for the track saw.

IMG_20220222_132831.jpg
Something like this perhaps?

IMG_20220222_102157.jpg
These will get used at the ends, probably, maybe.

The ends of the cassettes are angled and this should help vertical alignment. Horizontal alignment and power transfer will be via the same means, probably...

IMG_20220222_222038.jpg

Last edited:

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
I've removed the buildings to do some work on the scenic-fiddle board interfaces. I decided that track between the two would be beneficial to smooth running...

IMG_20220227_183455.jpg

Once that is done I'll be able to set the fiddle yards at the correct level. Now where did I put the metal dowels for the board joints ...

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Ok folks, a conundrum.... Considering that I've had Polsarrett up and working last year, with trains running, points switching and sections isolating...why does it now not work?

It should have been a case of simply plugging everything back in. But there's a wire or two missing, so no power from the controller reaches the control panel.

So how on earth did it work previously? And why is one of the black wires red? What was I doing??

simond

Western Thunderer
I suspect you "temporarily" wired up the control panel and then started to do it permanently, and got disturbed. I find that 5 minute jobs can take several hours if you are three minutes into it when someone says "can you just..."

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
I suspect you are probably right there Simon.

I'm putting a lack of recall down to being over 50.

I'm strangely finding lots of stuff I thought was done and finished, erm, still needing finishing off.