Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
I think you should up-grade to 13.5" or even 15". Far superior for deterring Western invaders.

Looking at the photos of the real chimneys, is there a subtle difference between the first photo and the others regarding the corbelling? In the first photos, there appears to be a first (bottom) step out across the end of the stack which does not protrude across the wide face, whereas the other stacks do appear to have the lowest step out all round.

Dave.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
I think you should up-grade to 13.5" or even 15". Far superior for deterring Western invaders.

Looking at the photos of the real chimneys, is there a subtle difference between the first photo and the others regarding the corbelling? In the first photos, there appears to be a first (bottom) step out across the end of the stack which does not protrude across the wide face, whereas the other stacks do appear to have the lowest step out all round.

Dave.

Yes, I noticed the corbelling difference too. Strange isn't it!

If I upgraded to 15", would that put Truro and St Blazey in range?

Osgood

Western Thunderer
I was doing some work on a big farming estate on the Suffolk coast, and in one field was an absolutely humungous concrete base - of something.
When the manager came round I enquired - it was the base for a 10" WW1 naval gun that had been installed during WW2 for coastal defence.
He told me to look at the roof of the farmhouse some 1/2 mile distant when I went that way, and I'd notice the different tiles on the side of the roof facing us. They only fired it once - for test - and blew all of the tiles off that side........

Navarone.jpg

simond

Western Thunderer
Well, if you do, you do, but I for one would think it a great shame. Your buildings are some of the best I’ve ever seen, and the modelling you‘ve done on the layout is fantastic.

Send me the Pannier, I’ll make it go.

hang in there
S

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Thanks Dan and Simon, thoughts appreciated.

Well I don't know if you can call it modelling but I've found the workbench, repatriated tools, and cleared away dross the rest of the family have dumped.

Phasing myself in slowly I thought I'd look at chimney pots for the row of buildings I was working on back in March. In April i was working Richard aka Mudmagnet and he did a trial batch for me based on photos I sent over. I was obviously not right when I saw him as my chimney scaling powers were well out at the time.

I've subsequently been able to measure a few similar pots up and have established more realistic sizes - a good 25% bigger than I thought. Messaged Richard with apologies and sizes, and we'll work from there. Going to need many printing...

IMG_20230805_203253.jpg

I will be going to Railwells next weekend as I've been roped in to help SheepBloke out with his layout. Hope to see a few folk there.

Last edited: