Monks Ferry: a layout for the Grandchildren.

jonte

Western Thunderer
With some distractions sorted, including the much dreaded purge of my modelling den and rearrangement of the newly completed workshop which occupies the inner half of my garage, thoughts could now return to some modelling, and the long awaited commencement of the grandchildren’s train set (guess this makes me a fully paid up member of the ‘trainset-brigade’, hey Dave?;)).

With plans created, recreated and binned aplenty, I eventually went back to the beginning and to a plan shown earlier in the thread. You see, folks, I came to the conclusion that a train set without a terminus station and return loop as per Dublo of old, well, wasn’t a train set in my book, so here we are…..back to the beginning (but with one or two amendments- aren’t there always ? :rolleyes:):

IMG_2017.jpeg

Treating the above more as a guide than a plan, I went back to our roots in the hobby, and simply selected a pick n mix of points (Hornby) which I assembled into something resembling a station throat/junction from the main line:

IMG_2478.jpeg

This would satisfy my first thoughts, which were of intercity services arriving and departing from designated platforms i.e. ‘depart one side of station’, ‘arrive at another’, each and every time. But then the thought occurred to me, ‘what if I wanted to perform each service from ‘any’ vacant platform?. So, with the purchase of an additional diamond crossing, I came up with this:

IMG_0426.jpeg

With the crossover to the right, trains could now enter any platform from either upside/downside track (can never work out which is which, sorry). And so, with the addition of a second set of crossovers and the movement of the entry to the loop from one side to the other, this is what I arrived at:

IMG_2490.jpeg

The point shown lower left of the ‘plan’ will lead to an MPD and perhaps some goods facilities (TBA).

The numbers 1, 2 and 3 shown, relate to individual baseboards, which will join together via carpenters’ dowels to form a layout measuring a total area of around 12.5’ x 4’, which makes the maximum use of space, whilst still allowing for access and a spot of storage.
The main reason for deciding on individual boards, was to facilitate its eventual removal for whatever reason (the tight angle to the door makes anything much over five feet in length nigh on impossible!).

So, with a plan decided, a couple of trips to the timber yard were in order. Initially, I purchased 6mm ply for the track bed, but as can be seen from the following photo, the stuff just wasn’t up to the job….

IMG_2485.jpeg

…..so, it was back, to reorder something more robust, of 12mm variety.

Not trusting the wood yard to cut the timber as required, I simply ordered two sheets of the stuff, and began cutting them to size via the use of a cheap plunge saw purchased for the task, which surprisingly worked quite well. Rather than buy a further board for the final baseboard, I just glued a leftover section to make up the shortfall, as the two sheets plus some 2”x1.5” timber (more about later) in total, came to just over a hundred quid delivered. COVID real did re-set the market price of everything it seems!:

IMG_2486.jpegIMG_2487.jpeg

Finally, the three boards in place in my den, the joint as described just being visible nearest the camera, which will be sanded smooth:

IMG_2489.jpeg

I was going to place the station at this end…..:

IMG_2488.jpeg

…….. however, in this position, it will make it difficult for the observer to see the trains running into the platforms, so will switch it round to the position shown in the previous picture. This will also have the complex arrangement of the junction nearest the observer (btw: only the central part of the roof will be used, so some deft removal of the outer sections will be required, which I’m dreading!).

The next stage will be to lay the trackwork onto the boards, so they can be marked out for cutting with a jig saw (thankfully, I already have one of these !). Then it will be onto making the frames upon which the trackbed will sit.

To this end, I’ve opted for the Barry Norman method of baseboard building, with which I’ve no doubt most will be familiar, so will refrain from repeating, apart from to say that I’ll be using the dodgey 6mm ply shown earlier for the beams, strengthened with blocks of the 2”x1.5” PAR timber also mentioned.

Cutting and marking the trackbed for point tie bar locations as mentioned, will help determine the location of each beam, together with relevant size and location of each supporting block. Plus, as this is to be elevated like many of the City of London lines I’ve used as an influence for the setting, the raised blocks onto which the trackbed will rest will be set into gaps in the aforementioned beams. Of course, and as a bonus I feel, this style of baseboard building lends itself to allowing the land to rise and fall at various points, which will be a welcome deviation from the generally accepted ‘trainset on flat baseboard’ style of traditional trainsets.

As many blocks will be required, I outlayed for yet another vital item of equipment, namely a mitre saw, as the wood yard declined to cut around ninety blocks which I reckon will be required by the end, so this build is beginning to get a little expensive, although I’m sure it will come in handy at some point in the future.

Yet another new piece of equipment was purchased, this time in the form of a pillar drill, to ensure vertical holes for the dowels in facing beams (I’m lousy with a drill :(). However, before it landed, I realised I’d goofed: it was fine for drilling one ‘Norman’ beam, however, I’d forgotten that the method requires two to be clamped and drilled at the same time………so back it went. I’m afraid the larger drills for the purpose were simply out of my price range.

In the end, I opted for a drill guide from Amazon for less than fifteen quid with delivery. The only problem here is that it only has discrete sizes (no half sizes) such that the 8mm dowels should be a friction fit into a 7.5mm pilot hole, so if it’s too loose a fit, I’ll glue ‘em in with some two-part stuff …..carefully.

So, there we are; at long last.

Cheers for now.

jonte

jonte

Western Thunderer
Many thanks for your interest and ‘likes’, gentlemen.

I omitted to mention that the radii used will be 3rd and 4th, and that of the ‘loop’ 3rd, to reduce the chance of unwanted derailments and to allow perhaps the larger type of loco to run soundly.

Although the points and (light) signals will be operated via time honoured means, the layout will be controlled by DCC, using the Dynamis unit I own. To that end, and with a view to locating an appropriate autoreverser to operate the loop in tandem with this unit, I purchased the following by Lenz:

IMG_2494.jpeg

Thankfully, prior to purchase, a little interrogation of the usual sources paid dividends here, as it was quickly established that it’s the only type which works with Dynamis, as unlike most, it doesn’t rely on short detection to work.

I started marking out the boards for cutting this morning using the laying out of the track as previously described, however, rain quickly stopped play, and as access is restricted in my den, I’ve postponed the operation until tomorrow when hopefully drier weather is forecast.

Watch this space.

jonte

jonte

Western Thunderer
Welcome back!
Thanks, John, and thanks for popping by :thumbs:

It was touch and go earlier as to whether the weather was to be favourable, but seems to have held out - and dare I say it - has started to brighten up as I write. Thus, a start was made mid morning on marking out one of the adjacent boards to the one marked out yesterday (which I’m using as a guide for the outer two boards) so I’ll take that as progress :)

Try and post some pictures later to give you a better idea.

Thanks for your interest.

Jon

jonte

Western Thunderer
I thought you would find this plan interesting as it looks similar to one of your early versions .
I built the majority of it before circumstances meant i had to scrap it .View attachment 223011

Oh, to have the room: mine isn’t even half the size :(

That has sparked my interest, Paul, so thank you. You must have been extremely disappointed to have to have abandoned it.

Hours of fun there.

Thanks for sharing,

Jon

jonte

Western Thunderer
With trestles set, and a patio table acting as a third support, the heavy boards were loaded on two at a time and clamped together so that adjacent boards could be addressed simultaneously.

Boards two and three first:

IMG_2495.jpegIMG_2496.jpegIMG_2497.jpeg

Then board three was removed and replaced by board number one which was clamped to the middle board, number two, as before.

IMG_2499.jpeg

The point straddling the gap is only there to trace the curvature, as I was too idle to fetch an appropriate curved section.
The six roads of the terminus have been drawn on, four for platforms; two (one each side) for carriage storage and perhaps a bolt hole for a shunter.

IMG_2502.jpeg

The entry from the main line on the opposite side of the oval to what will become an MPD and perhaps a goods (parcels?) depot:

IMG_2501.jpeg

The MPD is at right angles; the goods facilities approaching the camera as we look.

IMG_2503.jpeg

I’ll leave the cutting until another day, as my back is protesting……

Cheers.

jonte

Edit: missed out this one with the crossover:

IMG_2498.jpeg

jonte

Last edited:

jonte

Western Thunderer
Hello @jonte
Nice to see you posting again, and nice to see your plan coming along. I do envy those with the necessary abilities, drive, and vision. It’s all I can do to type this! :D

Keep on keeping on.

Cheers

Jan

Hello, Jan, and thank you :)

Good to hear from you too; I might add that your characterful work with the steadily increasing fleet of goods vehicles hasn’t gone unnoticed :thumbs:

Like you, I too envy those you describe. Meanwhile, I continue to fly by the seat of my pants in a blind panic, praying that I don’t goof too often ………

Thanks for dropping by.

Jon

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
With trestles set, and a patio table acting as a third support, the heavy boards were loaded on two at a time and clamped together so that adjacent boards could be addressed simultaneously.

Boards two and three first:

View attachment 223040View attachment 223041View attachment 223042

Then board three was removed and replaced by board number one which was clamped to the middle board, number two, as before.

View attachment 223044

The point straddling the gap is only there to trace the curvature, as I was too idle to fetch an appropriate curved section.
The six roads of the terminus have been drawn on, four for platforms; two (one each side) for carriage storage and perhaps a bolt hole for a shunter.

View attachment 223047

The entry from the main line on the opposite side of the oval to what will become an MPD and perhaps a goods (parcels?) depot:

View attachment 223046

The MPD is at right angles; the goods facilities approaching the camera as we look.

View attachment 223048

I’ll leave the cutting until another day, as my back is protesting……

Cheers.

jonte

Edit: missed out this one with the crossover:

View attachment 223052

jonte

As Jan said, nice to see you posting again Jonte. One minor observation... The terminus platforms seem very narrow. Have you put stock on to see what width is available?

jonte

Western Thunderer
As Jan said, nice to see you posting again Jonte. One minor observation... The terminus platforms seem very narrow. Have you put stock on to see what width is available?
Thanks, Chris, and thanks for your interest :)

What you see at present is just a guide for cutting away as much of the ply rectangle as possible in order to lighten the load, whilst leaving as much area for laying track and it’s immediate environs to boot (with a margin of error or two, of course).

In effect, there will only be two platforms (the two widest ‘Islands’ depicted in red below):

IMG_2502.jpeg

……each island being designated as two platforms to give a total of four, which is the maximum my proposed, and whittled-down, station roof can accommodate.

The furthest lines seen on each side will just be for storage, if that makes sense?

Hopefully viewed from a lofty height, any disproportion in platform area won’t be too apparent, although I’m buoyed in this respect by platforms on many of the London lines, including Waterloo, which seemed a little more undernourished than many station platforms elsewhere, even those on humble branch lines. Perhaps inner city land being at a premium had something to do with it?

Thanks again.

Jon

jonte

Western Thunderer
I had an O gauge layout with a very similar layout to your plan. The cross over worked well and meant you can have a terminus station which kept the layout more interesting.

Hi Andrew, and thank you for your reassurance, as I’m always concerned that I’ve overlooked something, somewhere…….

If I might add, that must have occupied some footprint in ‘O’ :eek:

Cheers,

Jon

It was a fair size. The entire loft was used. Because it was o gauge I was on 6ft curves which limited a couple of locos I have. Im now trying to work out a new design to squeeze 7ft minimum curves in.
The run around at a terminus station is always a nice bit of theatre and as you have said no layout is ever perfect but it’s need to incorporate the details you want.

jonte

Western Thunderer
It was a fair size. The entire loft was used. Because it was o gauge I was on 6ft curves which limited a couple of locos I have. Im now trying to work out a new design to squeeze 7ft minimum curves in.
The run around at a terminus station is always a nice bit of theatre and as you have said no layout is ever perfect but it’s need to incorporate the details you want.

A run around? Now there’s a thought…….good use for a couple of left over points :) Hmmm…

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
The furthest lines seen on each side will just be for storage, if that makes sense?

Hopefully viewed from a lofty height, any disproportion in platform area won’t be too apparent, although I’m buoyed in this respect by platforms on many of the London lines, including Waterloo, which seemed a little more undernourished than many station platforms elsewhere, even those on humble branch lines. Perhaps inner city land being at a premium had something to do with it?

The storage lines make sense - quite often a feature at many terminals as well as main-line stations. I have reason to recall the narrowness of platforms at Waterloo having been watching a preserved Bullied Pacific about to leave when an e.m.u silently crept in to the other side of the 'island and left me realizing how close I was to it. Fortunately a BR official had ensured that we spectators were clear of actual contact! As you quite rightly state, the premium price of inner city real estate had much to do with it and so often led to the attempts to get a quart into a pint pot. One could almost say the prototype imitating the model..........:confused:!

One further point if I may - run rounds were, if I recall, a bit of a rarity in certain London terminals - trains arrived and the loco was trapped until the train was removed by a station pilot, thus releasing the loco. Shunting coaching stock was a task filled by M7's, and later ex-GW panniers and BR Standards at Waterloo . This are a few of the types used, but all readily available in 4mm rtr. Thus a run-round could be an unnecessary complication.......just a thought

All the best with the project, old friend.

Roger :thumbs:

jonte

Western Thunderer
The storage lines make sense - quite often a feature at many terminals as well as main-line stations. I have reason to recall the narrowness of platforms at Waterloo having been watching a preserved Bullied Pacific about to leave when an e.m.u silently crept in to the other side of the 'island and left me realizing how close I was to it. Fortunately a BR official had ensured that we spectators were clear of actual contact! As you quite rightly state, the premium price of inner city real estate had much to do with it and so often led to the attempts to get a quart into a pint pot. One could almost say the prototype imitating the model..........:confused:!

One further point if I may - run rounds were, if I recall, a bit of a rarity in certain London terminals - trains arrived and the loco was trapped until the train was removed by a station pilot, thus releasing the loco. Shunting coaching stock was a task filled by M7's, and later ex-GW panniers and BR Standards at Waterloo . This are a few of the types used, but all readily available in 4mm rtr. Thus a run-round could be an unnecessary complication.......just a thought

All the best with the project, old friend.

Roger :thumbs:

Further reassurance is always welcome with my lack of prototypical knowledge :oops:, but especially so from one more worldly wise, to say nothing of valuable experience with the real thing, so many thanks for your valued contribution, sir :thumbs:

Funnily enough, Roger, I’ve just returned from looking after my infant grandson with whom I ride the trains each Wednesday morning, and whilst enjoying the ride, thoughts turned to this very subject of a run around, and it occurred to me that there would be more fun for the grandchild on designated shunter duty without one, so a decision was made there and then to abandon the idea. So, thanks, Roger, for sanctioning my (further) change of tack ;)

Cheers for now.

Jon

jonte

Western Thunderer
After measuring twice etc., and marking out where point motors will go to facilitate accurate placing of beams and their integral blocks (which took the best part of two days last week), I decided to take advantage of a let-up in the recent foul weather to start cutting out the track bases (12mm ply you may recall) with a jig saw.

Here they are in situ (track plan reversed as explained previously) in my den:

IMG_2507.jpegIMG_2508.jpegIMG_2509.jpeg

The dinner plate marks the approximate location of a Fleischmann turntable I recently acquired from an online auction site. Currently, I await its arrival, although the previous owner has kindly furnished me with the approximate size of hole to cut. Still, I’ll wait until it arrives just to be sure.

Incidentally, I was going to forego a turntable, the need for which was somewhat obviated by the option of a reverse loop, however, I thought it would be a added bonus for the children to operate. Well, that’s the thinking anyway.

Cheers for now.

jonte

simond

Western Thunderer
"I was going to forego a turntable, the need for which was somewhat obviated by the option of a reverse loop..."

Quite the opposite! If you have a return loop (and enjoy the wiring challenges that it may pose) you will have locos that need to be turned! They can, of course, be sent off to the return loop again, but where's the fun in that?

atb
Simon