Mike G's Workspace.

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Whilst management is still away progress has been made.

All 3 wagons have been completed. 4 coaches have had there primer added. I was too tired to do the 37. So that's tomorrow evenings entertainment sorted. The East wing of the house (I wish) smells terrible.
Still a long way to go, but getting there.

Painting 2.jpg

Stay safe

Mike

PS - the curry and Stella were awesome!

Simon

Flying Squad
That's just fantastic progress, much respect. And I think you're a brave man Mike - if it were me I'd be bound to make a fatal error, or leave incriminating evidence behind!

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
So having given all the stock a good looksee. 2 of the coaches have been dunked in celly and stripped back for a fresh start tomorrow. The new colour paint arrives tomorrow. So armed with new found knowledge, I know how to handle the primer coat.

The class 37 diesel has been covered. Not the best I've ever done, but this will be filthy, no runs just not good by my standards.

The GWR syphon has been the surprise and looks good. Just need the paint to really harden so I can tackle the roof.

There's no wind around today so the whole house stinks. 5 days to go. I feel an attack of a strong air freshener on days 4 and 5 with doors and windows wide open! And operation 'mop-up' will commence.
All 3 wagons have come up trumps, but now need transfers and a touch of weathering.

Stay safe

Mike

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
More painting completed. Hope you like them, comments always welcome - good or bad.

First up is the GWR syphon. Post 196 was the completed build.

GWR syphon painted.jpg

The body is only balancing on the chassis. In BR red.

Royal mail coach...still building the other...

Royal mail painted.jpg

This is one of the coaches I stripped back yesterday. Post 239 shows the completed build.

LMS coach painted.jpg

And the other that I stripped back. D1791 Corr Compo. Both in BR maroon.

Still to paint the interiors, but the chassis are all complete. I'll post some photos of the completed wagons tomorrow.

I did finish the class 37 diesel, having finished it I'm debating whether to dunk that one as well. The colour was Land Rover deep bronze green. I stirred the tin for about ten minutes and mixed it with gloss thinners at 3:1. It took ages to cover and once dried the colour was very grey/green. And for the first time ever the paint clogged my air gun! Never experienced that before. Nothing like the celly green I had previously used and run out of. Having re-read Warren Haywoods thread I see that he uses a deep bronze green gloss. He gave the suppliers name - AP Western - I can't find that paint on the website. I did find it elsewhere though.

For me it's been a successful painting session. And still no paint on the carpet, God knows what the dinning room table looks like when the daily Telegraph comes off :)

Stay safe

Mike

Last edited:

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Yesterday was the scale 4 society AGM. Organised by the Bristol area group and the first exhibition styled event that I have been to in nearly 3 years!!
Firstly my thanks to the Bristol group for the invitation and secondly congratulations on organizing a great successful event.

It was fabulous to see some of my 'long distance' friends in the flesh for the first time in too long a time. It was great to see some trains moving on some wonderfully promising layouts and it was sooo good to see John Darch's Clinkerford out for an airing after a very long time. Paul Hutfield worked really hard to get it up and running - worth it, so worth it. Really enjoyed seeing that again.
It made me realise what it is I've been missing for so long. Not being the only nerd in the room. That, and being able to speak candidly with like minded people about subjects that I am totally passionate about.

Management is back on patrol, but the mission has been accomplished. I need to dunk one more coach - I'm not satisfied with the finish. The class 37 goes into model strip to be stripped. I think you ban see why.

Class 37 to be dunked.jpg

I need to buy some more cellulose of a green nature. If anyone reading this has the name of a supplier and details of the colour they are using for BR Brunswick green. I've looked for the stuff Warren Haywood used but I've not been able to find it on the website. Any help appreciated. After using and then throwing away a litre of green Slime I'm not inclined to go back to my normal supplier.

Stay safe

Mike

Last edited:

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Paint is on it's way, time to start thinking about stripping the 37. In the meantime I have a Saturday PM all to myself...

D1937 the smaller of the two Royal mail coaches has been getting some attention. All of the recessed doors are in and the underframe has started to see some action as well. I added top and bottom strips of brass to stop the rain flooding in, I never understand why this isn't taken care of in the design process. Who wants holes/gaps in their coach sides?
A very pleasing 3 hour session.

LMS D1937 Royal Mail.jpg

I've added the battery box since this was taken, not entirely impressed with my tumblehome, I shall have to procure some suitable width rod and have a go at Rob Pulham's suggestion. The only thing I can say is that it just about matches the Comet ends...which is a relief.

So far so good. And nice to be back at the bench doing things.

Stay safe

Mike

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
The ends are on and the body is mated with the chassis.

Fair bit of work done to make them sit properly. The original ends were whitemetal and quite thick. The Comet replacement ends, as you know, are etched, which meant the chassis had to be shortened to allow for the etched ends.
In order to hide the gaps at the bottom of the recesses doors I had soldered in some scrap etch. Part of the chassis 'sides' had to be removed to allow the chassis to fully engage with the body. But after all the fuss, I have a nice tight fitting chassis on a square body.

D1937 chassis and body.jpg

The other side of these additions are that I shall also have to be careful with the fitting of the roof. As you can see from the photo, parts of the roof will have to be removed to allow for the stays that protrude from the doors room to fit. A little more work for what is becoming a fine looking coach.

I doubt that I will be able to get anymore work done this weekend as my son and I are out for the first time in 10 years. Something I hope to repeat a lot more frequently in the weeks, months and years ahead as he now lives just down the road from me. And I'm thrilled to say my Grandson Harry is now heaps better, which after the last three days and two nights is a real relief.

Have a great weekend, what ever your doing.

Stay safe

Mike

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
It's been a while since I posted progress. But some progress has been made.

I have found it nearly impossible to concentrate with this stifling heat and I've waited for it to cool down before moving on....that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

I've got the roof to fit, after a lot of filling and trial fitting. Still some more to be taken off the roof above the door struts to get it to sit as I would like.

Royal mail roof.jpg

The vents are in and tomorrow evening I shall complete this task and glue the roof in. Then its just the underframe detailing and ends to sort out. I'm really looking forward to painting this and then lining the two coaches. These have been great fun to build.

Stay safe

Mike

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
So job done, the roof is on and glued in place.

Royal mail roof on.jpg

I thought I'd share how the load is spread through the chassis for the rubber bands.

Royal mail load spread.jpg

These are roof off cuts, that are secured to the bogie mounting plates. So rather than pressure put onto the chassis sides the load is spread across the length of the off cut.
I'll wait 24 hours for the arraldite to cure and start the clean up process. Rubber gloves on - I don't like fishing for fibers in my fingers!

Stay safe

Mike

Chas Levin

Western Thunderer
Nice load spreading Mike, often neglected but important to avoid other issues!

I sympathise with your having found the heat oppressive: it doesn't encourage modelling, let alone soldering! Bit cooler now though...

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Yes, looks a neat way of spreading the load and avoiding distortion.
Saw your Brit and Scot running on Barrow Road today, Mike. Both very impressive. The track holding certainly puts some of my hand crafted, kit-built efforts to shame.
Dave.

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Yes, looks a neat way of spreading the load and avoiding distortion.
Saw your Brit and Scot running on Barrow Road today, Mike. Both very impressive. The track holding certainly puts some of my hand crafted, kit-built efforts to shame.
Dave.
Dave
I regularly take my inspiration for continuing to hack away when I look at the beautiful engines you build.
Any sign of the lovely Scot going into paint yet?
I’m sorry I missed you both - it would be great to catch up.

Mike

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Mike.

The Black 5 has just gone for painting, but I'm hanging on to the Scot till after Scaleforum as I want to show it in bits.

Dave.

Last edited: