Mike G's Workspace.

AJC

Western Thunderer
Take care of yourself, Mike. The TPO is looking very good: they're such charismatic vehicles and you've made a nice neat job of that one.

Adam

Chas Levin

Western Thunderer
Hello Mike, I've just read through your thread and very much enjoyed it!
I have a question from way back on page 1, relating to this photo:
So a little progress on the 2251 class. Started with the tender. As usual, made the classic error on day one...and it's not the first time I've done this!

View attachment 125503
Can I please ask, what is the 'classic error' in that photo? I'm fairly new to loco building - and haven't yet tried CSB - so even if it's something obvious or well-known, I haven't been able to spot it...

Loving the scratched wooden table-top - reminds me of school! ;)

Hope you're getting through the Covid OK?

Chas

(PS - looks like I've not managed to include the full photo in my quote, sorry about that, I'll read up on how that works)

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Hi Chas

The 'classic' mistake I made was the tags for the CSB wire to be 'sewn' through are facing the wrong way. The flat part of the tag soldered onto the bearing should be at the back of the bearing and not the front. In it's current position the CSB wire would look like a snake, looking down upon it, And not a lovely flat straight line. It's easy to do, if you don't pay attention. I frequently don't pay attention to what I'm doing, with the inevitable re-do's to sort it out.

Mike

Chas Levin

Western Thunderer
Ohhhhh - thanks Mike! That shows how unfamiliar I am with CSBs! I read up about different forms of compensation a little while ago, but decided to try a beam for my first attempt at a non-rigid chassis and filed away CSB in my mind for (probably) my next build. Seems like you're something of a CSB fan...

Last edited:

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Hi Chas,

I'm not a fan of anyone church, but I do like to try different approaches. I've even used Gordon Ashtons' springing units as well. I use whatever I think will fit the chassis the best. But if there's something like a High Level kit that already had compensation laid into it's DNA then I'd build it as is.
But I do like springing, especially on coaches.

Mike

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
So, after a couple of days led on the sofa watching the inevitable dross on TV, I'm happy to say that today, I'm feeling heaps better. Just to prove this, I've glued the roof on, drilled the holes for the vents and sorted out some truly horrible castings that were supposed to be buffers.

LMS coach D1792 8.jpg

And this only goes to prove you can use a roof on a coach the other way up. Still a little bit of filing to do on the ends and the large recessed door. I've started on the underframe, so that will get attached tomorrow. Robin is making up the Bill Bedford bogies, so other than adding some lead for weight, I'm nearly there and on Weds can start the second coach. That's if I don't test negative in the meantime.:rolleyes:

Stay safe

Mike

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Mike reading about your soldering experience on the white-metal coach ends, I wonder if soldering a thin sheet of brass inside to hold the ends in their correct positions then gluing the white-metal on with epoxy of some sort would make things easier. Just a question as I have not had the pleasure of putting any brass and white-metal bits together.

Michael

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Hi Michael

I really don't like gluing anything when the structure that the bond will take, relies on the strength of the glue. I prefer to solder no matter the difficulty of the job. With soldering - if it goes sideways - it's minutes to clean up and have another go.

Not feeling the greatest today, so a very low amount of progress has been made. Vents glued in, roof handrails and end side rails are on and cleaning up and filling have been completed. There is one more corner that needs my attention as you can see from the second photo. Now that it's starting to come together, it does look half decent. (I have a way to go, to catch up with Rob's superb effort).

LMS coach D1792 9.jpg

The corner to the right of this photo (above) is the problem.

For awkward areas such as this I use a 2 part putty that sets like rock, sticks like the preverbial and allows you to file once it's dry without it coming away. I still have half a stick left after 10 years and as I can't remember it's name....

LMS coach D1792 10.jpg

The filling does look untidy, as though there is a miniscus to the roof. That is an optical allusion, it is all smooth and straight.

I didn't tackle the underframe, I have since discovered that there are lengthy steps to be soldered onto the solebars. On a Comet kit this doesn't present a problem as the solebars are mechanically slot and tab as well as solder. Post 227 shows that the solebars on this contruction, are just soldered into a half etched line. OK, I can use a higher melting point solder to put these in with and tin the solebars in the places where the steps will go. I think this is just a case of 'suck it and see'. Still, this is progress - even if it's at a snails pace.

Stay safe

Mike

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
A really good day in the office...

I thought I'd show how I jig out my underframes.

LMS coach D1792 11.jpg

As you can see this gets used for drilling hinges out as well, hence the woodworm looking holes.

LMS coach D1792 12.jpg

So once the chassis is screwed down and supported work can begin. The only thing to be careful about is to keep the chassis straight and level. All these bits are baker lite, which when I worked in a steel works where all thrown away as spares. It was by pure chance that they where the right size and dimensions that I needed. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
The reason for this 'screwing down' is so that the heat put into the chassis doesn't distort it when you're working on it. If this was a Comet chassis there's a fair bit of heat goes into it for putting the solebars on.

These solebars were all tacted with 180 solder and I didn't bother to seam this, there are 7/8 spots on both sides, so more than enough to give it some strength.
Since this next picture was taken the battery box has been soldered in as well. Still some more to do, but I've had enough for today.

LMS coach D1792 13.jpg

So the chassis is now largely complete other than the long step boards, which can't be done untill the chassis and body have been put together.

Stay safe

Mike

Chas Levin

Western Thunderer
Nice jigging Mike - I struggled at times with the last coach I built through lack of sensible arrangements like this: I shall try and do something similar on the next one...

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Still busy, building the second of the Royal mail coaches. If you've watched one coach being built from me - you've seen them all. I've been fortunate to visit Barrow Road again this month.
The Brit has completed the running in trials and the sound chip works to perfection. Many years ago I built a Royal Scot, must be at least 15 years. It's hardly turned a wheel in anger. So, last month I took it up to the layout and whilst it ran smoothly, guess what, the front bogies wheels where like a sledge, sometimes turning and sometimes stuck. I don't remember it doing this on it's last outing, but then I don't remember when it's last outing was!
Morgan Gilbert kindly volunteered to have a look and see if a problem could be fixed. Down below are 2 clips, you can judge for yourselves.

I think this is another candidate for the sound chip treatment. And...thank you Morgan.

Stay safe

Mike

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Very nice, Mike. Both locos look to be running well, nice and smoothly and staying on the track - more than can be said for some of mine - damn front bogies. You should be well pleased.
The problem with skidding front truck wheels on the Scot is not really apparent in the video. Might just be some stiffness or not quite enough load on the truck. I'm sure Morgan will be able to sort it out for you.
Dave.

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave
Yes Morgan did sort the problem, the result is in the videos. He added more weight to the front of the Scot. Really lucky to have such a good friend and a superb engineer in my corner.

Are you coming to the AGM? It'd be great to catch up.

I'm completely thrilled with both engines. If I can get my Std cl 5 to perform the same I'll be a very happy man. It's amazing what a good run will do for our engines, loosens up the bearings and all sorts. The downside is - it also shows their weaknesses!
Really enjoying your Ivatt thread.

Stay safe

Mike

Stephen

Western Thunderer
Always nice to see decent length trains running. For me, seeing an 11 or 12 coach train is what it’s all about!

Cheers,

Stephen

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
So what do you do when your wife goes away for a week....parties, illicit takeaways, too much beer (with no repercussions in the morning) or do you do out your dining room in The Telegraph news paper?

Ehhh?

And put a plastic sheet down on the floor?

Well that's what I've done, in an attempt to clear my massive backlog of built models.

Painting1a.jpg

You have no idea what a relief it is that SWMBO doesn't follow my models progress.

Todays progress involves 3 wagons and their under frames in primer, the under frames are now in black and require weathering. 4 coaches underframes in primer and 3 in black. Tomorrow will see the wagon sides go into colour and the 4 coach sides will also be done. As I paint in cellulose some serious ventilation is going to be required. And a certain class 37 has also gone into primer...exciting!
Good days work today and really looking forward to tomorrow afternoon.

My curry has just arrived....

Stay safe

Mike

Last edited:

simond

Western Thunderer
Last time my Mrs went away with the girls, I spent the morning cooking a curry, and the afternoon making a roof for my loco shed. The lads came round about six, we fitted the roof (it needed about seven hands) and then ate the curry.

And drank beer. :)

jonte

Western Thunderer
So what do you do when your wife goes away for a week....parties, illicit takeaways, too much beer (with no repercussions in the morning) or do you do out your dining room in The Telegraph news paper?

Ehhh?

And put a plastic sheet down on the floor?

Well that's what I've done, in an attempt to clear my massive backlog of built models.

View attachment 164503

You have no idea what a relief it is that SWMBO doesn't follow my models progress.

Todays progress involves 3 wagons and there under frames in primer, the under frames are now in black and require weathering. 4 coaches underframes in primer and 3 in black. Tomorrow will see the wagon sides go into colour and the 4 coach sides will also be done. As I paint in cellulose some serious ventilation is going to be required. And a certain class 37 has also gone into primer...exciting!
Good days work today and really looking forward to tomorrow afternoon.

My curry has just arrived....

Stay safe

Mike
:))

Jonte

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Last time my Mrs went away with the girls, I spent the morning cooking a curry, and the afternoon making a roof for my loco shed. The lads came round about six, we fitted the roof (it needed about seven hands) and then ate the curry.

And drank beer. :)
Shades of Gerry making hay while Margo was away in the Good Life - I take it that the extract fans did their job by the time Management returned?:drool::drool::drool::drool::)):)):))

cheers

Mike