7mm Mickoo's Commercial Workbench

JimG

Western Thunderer
If you take the "like" button away, though, I won’t have anything with which to register my interest. Posting a one word reply really won’t cut it.

Over on Britmodeller, for instance, there are some members who visit a dozen or more threads and insist on replying with "that’s nice", "lovely build", "excellent stuff". They add nothing to the conversation that tapping "like" wouldn’t do.

I often don’t feel able to comment or ask pertinent questions, but still want the writer to know what they’ve written has been noted and, well, liked.
I'm with Heather on this.

In a lot of cases the questions that might be raised by a thread are already answered because the contributor has described a process well.

Jim.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
It's something that I have debated with myself more than once. If I have nothing constructive to add then I hit like. Take that away and all you have to indicate anyone is interested is page view statistics.

Another aspect of forums in general, is that there are far more 'takers' than 'givers'. By that I mean that even though a forum might have thousands of members, in many cases it's a core of a couple of hundred members (or less) who post all the content.

JimG

Western Thunderer
Another aspect of forums in general, is that there are far more 'takers' than 'givers'. By that I mean that even though a forum might have thousands of members, in many cases it's a core of a couple of hundred members (or less) who post all the content.

I remember way back in the days of Compuserve that it was reckoned that less than (IIRC) 10% of the membership of any forum were active.

Jim.

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
It’s an interesting debate as I feel the same about my own thread, it would be nice to have more conversation but I’m also guilty of using the like button, more to show my appreciation of the modelling content without actually contributing anything meaningful.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Mick,

You may consider a simple 'like' as a lack of interest but, as far as I'm concerned, it's the only way available of showing my appreciation of your posts and an indication that I do find them interesting. Among the reasons why I feel unable to comment are that I don't model in 7mm scale, I don't build steam engines and I don't intend ever getting involved in 3D printing. Despite that, I still find your modelling projects interesting and inspiring.

David
David,

Cannot argue with that, though I have found interesting stuff in other topics that I have zero immersion in, to that end I'll often write a few words to say thanks.

I'm not suggesting everyone now writes something to every post on WT in the vein of Heathers example from Britmodeller, but the odd post often goes a long way. There are other long threads by other builders that seem to suffer the same....so I don't take it personally.

There was a spate about 18 months ago where I posted a dozen or more updates over I think two months, thousands of views, hundreds of likes and not one single response from anyone, hard to come back for more after that.

On the flip side, there are topics here that often get 'hot' with 10 or more posts a day, ironically not one of them has anything to do with modelling :))

mickoo

Western Thunderer
It’s an interesting debate as I feel the same about my own thread, it would be nice to have more conversation but I’m also guilty of using the like button, more to show my appreciation of the modelling content without actually contributing anything meaningful.
Your's and one or two others were the ones I was thinking about in my last post, and yes, like yourself I've been guilty of hitting the like button. I tend to read your threads in batches so you'll suddenly see half a dozen likes all at once.

In fairness/defense, I tend to respond with the written word on your O gauge Facebook page which has a much more active response/feedback ratio. By the same token there are people in both camps who post on my work there and I'd not expect them to post here too.

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
Your's and one or two others were the ones I was thinking about in my last post, and yes, like yourself I've been guilty of hitting the like button. I tend to read your threads in batches so you'll suddenly see half a dozen likes all at once.

In fairness/defense, I tend to respond with the written word on your O gauge Facebook page which has a much more active response/feedback ratio. By the same token there are people in both camps who post on my work there and I'd not expect them to post here too.
That’s a very good point about Facebook as I know we see each others and others posts on multiple platforms, the like is good in that it acknowledges that we’ve actually seen it.
On the O gauge page I admin I will reply more to encourage more people to post as with 4K + members there are only a small amount of actual contributors.

Tim Watson

Western Thunderer
It‘s nice to have written feedback, but the like button is useful. WT seems to get it about right. RMWeb has a plethora of response buttons which I think are also quite good. You get to ‘know’ individuals on forums by writing comments - especially when you have similar styles of working.

Tim

michael mott

Western Thunderer
By that I mean that even though a forum might have thousands of members, in many cases it's a core of a couple of hundred members (or less) who post all the content.
An interesting point, one that i have noticed in a number of forums covering different aspects of modelling.
It‘s nice to have written feedback, but the like button is useful.
I agree and am also guilty of pressing the like button when I have nothing to contribute but have enjoyed reading a post, and as David mentioned " it's the only way available of showing my appreciation" when your work is beyond my knowledge base.

Regards Michael

SouthernFan Ian

Western Thunderer
May I join in this thread please?
At the risk of going ‘off thread’, I too have had a similar experience and reaction when posting updates on my Stroudley Park layout.
Likes seem to be plentiful but conversation is not. This is true of other modelling websites and Facebook pages too.
Likes do not do it for me, it’s all about the why’s and wherefore’s and having a good conversation, given the lack of the latter, I have reduced my posting on all platforms considerably.
The positive side is I have spent more time modelmaking. Once this flurry of model building is over perhaps I will post again and see what reactions are forthcoming.
Regards,
Ian

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Likes seem to be plentiful but conversation is not.

I don’t understand. If I have read your post, and enjoyed it but don’t feel I need to chat about it, I tap "like". There’s your engagement. If I am intrigued by something, such as how a particular thing was achieved, then I’ll post. Otherwise, a "like" is what you’ll get.

I like seeing "likes" on my posts. It’s sufficient for me. I guess others here are different.

This conversation really needs its own thread, because I fear we preventing Mickoo from posting his interesting updates. ;)

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Mick,

I agree with both your and Simond's points. It can sometimes be quite daunting to 'log on', press the 'new posts' button and be confronted with a list of over a dozen new entries, which I for one, always read each one and have done since joining, (you never know what tips etc you might pick up) If you were then to reply to even half of those, if persuaded, with more than a 'like' then you are spending an awful long time on the keyboard which might otherwise be spent on the workbench or layout, but it is nice to receive a written reply from time to time.

regards

Mike

Genghis

Western Thunderer
Mick, as I have posted before, your posts are amongst the most interesting and informative of the many excellent posts on this forum and much appreciated by me. I too am guilty of using 'like' more than a wordy response but then I feel that threads that get clogged up with a dozen 'cor, that's nice' or similar become unwieldy.

Being in the trade I try to be careful what I say, so sometimes I start to draft a response and then think better of it. You have posted nice comments about the 0-4-4T (despite its known limitations) and that is nice but I don't feel that I can post gushing praise for something just because I sell it! Similarly I am loathe to join in the condemnation of those offerings that really have no business being in the market place.

But rest assured, yours is one of the threads I seek out when I log on. Inspirational modelling, exploring best practice new technologies and leading kit building to the future.

Keep up the good work!

Dave

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
Mick : I am disinclined to post platitudes and I don't know you well enough to try pulling your leg. This leaves questions or critical observations. If these provoke discussion there is always a chance of people raising negative observations - these could bring harm to your business, and so I haven't posted here until now.

Example : have you considered getting in touch with Gladiator Models, to see whether they can use your 3D printed parts in the kits they sell to hobbyists?

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Mick : I am disinclined to post platitudes and I don't know you well enough to try pulling your leg. This leaves questions or critical observations. If these provoke discussion there is always a chance of people raising negative observations - these could bring harm to your business, and so I haven't posted here until now.

Example : have you considered getting in touch with Gladiator Models, to see whether they can use your 3D printed parts in the kits they sell to hobbyists?
I get that and support that, inane platitudes are not what I'm expecting or others are too I suspect, what we're looking for is interest and dialog.

I try to post stuff to generate interest or get people to think about how to achieve something, the lack of response to me (rightly or wrongly) suggest people already know how to do it or it's of no interest to them. Given several other posts from others it's nice to know I'm not actually alone in this respect.

Regarding negative observations, you shouldn't open the floor to dialog and then get upset when it occurs, having said that, there are ways to get a sticky point across in an articulate manner. I'm not one for holding back myself, but feel if you leave emotion and personal preferences out of it then the observation will have some benefit at some point. There have been a few instances in the past where my observations have been acted on and the resultant upgrades fed into the kits, makes no difference to me, but new customers now have bits that are better.

If anyone posts something that may conflict with any of my business interests I'll politely say I cannot answer that. I'm not in the camp of ignoring it as I feel that does far more damage, not only to the person who wrote it put to all the other silent watchers who read it and wait the response. Far better to be open and honest with a short 'sorry not really at liberty to respond in detail'.

I have been in touch (we chat reasonably regularly) with David and we did something similar with the Royal Scot tender. All my 3D is available if anyone wants it and I feel it's a very good medium for hobbyists, however the market is not quite there yet to accept it as parts for kits in any great quantity. Sand boxes, tool boxes, brake cylinders etc are perfect but smokeboxes and fireboxes, I'm not so sure.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Mick, as I have posted before, your posts are amongst the most interesting and informative of the many excellent posts on this forum and much appreciated by me. I too am guilty of using 'like' more than a wordy response but then I feel that threads that get clogged up with a dozen 'cor, that's nice' or similar become unwieldy.

Being in the trade I try to be careful what I say, so sometimes I start to draft a response and then think better of it. You have posted nice comments about the 0-4-4T (despite its known limitations) and that is nice but I don't feel that I can post gushing praise for something just because I sell it! Similarly I am loathe to join in the condemnation of those offerings that really have no business being in the market place.

But rest assured, yours is one of the threads I seek out when I log on. Inspirational modelling, exploring best practice new technologies and leading kit building to the future.

Keep up the good work!

Dave
Dave,

I know exactly where're you're coming from :thumbs:

I'm perhaps a little closer to the knuckle with my comments than others and sometimes and it has (I'm sure) generated a widening gap. However, it has also on occasion had a positive impact with those developers who are willing to engage and look inward, resulting in changes that have benefited many others.

Regarding the 2P, I try to be even handed and have recently had some teeth gnashing projects, so it's nice to have something were everything fits, in which case I think it's only fair to say so.

Some of the 3D is nick nacks for uplifting, but the kit supplied bits are/were equally acceptable, I didn't change them because I had to, I changed them because I wanted to.

MD

LarryG

Western Thunderer
To me, the 'like' button is a way of showing my appreciation. This might relate to a liking of a members workmanship or the fact that a member writes informative captions or explains tricks that make tasks easier to perform. I'm aware that not everyone has read everything i have ever written, hence i explain what i am doing and the materials used with each new build. Apart from that, I enjoy writing.........Writing is communication.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
To me, the 'like' button is a way of showing my appreciation. This might relate to a liking of a members workmanship or the fact that a member writes informative captions or explains tricks that make tasks easier to perform. I'm aware that not everyone has read everything i have ever written, hence i explain what i am doing and the materials used with each new build. Apart from that, I enjoy writing.........Writing is communication.
This post is a very compelling reason to continue reading WT - a good description of how another WTer sees life. Thank you.

AJC

Western Thunderer

I'd second that - as, for want of a better way of putting it, a professional writer and editor (it doesn't always show here!), that's what I have to remind my authors and students - and your [Mick's] quality of communication is very clear, which forestalls the more obvious questions. In my own day-to-day work, I'm aware that some of it gets read, but I rarely hear from anyone who has directly (and they mostly say nice things, or ask interesting questions, but that's rare): so it goes.

Now, 7mm engines are all very impressive and the quality of your work is exceptional. There's not much point in me saying that every time and I don't have the technical queries to make; academic wages and toddlers don't stretch to 0 gauge locos, CAD packages and so on, by and large, and of course, I'm much more interested in goings on behind the drawhook. So, I read most of your posts, take on their content and ways of doing things, but don't often have much to say - that is where the 'Like' button comes in.

Adam

Last edited: