7mm Mickoo's Commercial Workbench

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
For my own posts, currently almost exclusively showing Tim Mills' images, I rely very much on "Likes". They do it for me! The occasional exclamation of delight over a particular image or correction to some data, including reminiscences are the icing on the cake. As long as a core number of people "Like" the posts it demonstrates to me that there's a continuing value in putting them up. When the "Likes" stop so will the postings, but not until then.

Brian

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I'd second that - as, for want of a better way of putting it, a professional writer and editor (it doesn't always show here!), that's what I have to remind my authors and students - and your [Mick's] quality of communication is very clear, which forestalls the more obvious questions. In my own day-to-day work, I'm aware that some of it gets read, but I rarely hear from anyone who has directly (and they mostly say nice things, or ask interesting questions, but that's rare): so it goes.

Now, 7mm engines are all very impressive and the quality of your work is exceptional. There's not much point in me saying that every time and I don't have the technical queries to make; academic wages and toddlers don't stretch to 0 gauge locos, CAD packages and so on, by an large, and of course, I'm much more interested in goings on behind the drawhook. So, I read most of your posts, take on their content and ways of doing things, but don't often have much to say - that is where the 'Like' button comes in.

Adam
Interesting and to counter, you do post occasionally, and that's all it takes. I suspect there are some who never post and just merrily click away on the like button.

Despite all the dialog few seem to have accepted the impact the lack of discussion is having on the (diminishing) content of peoples posts, that surely should be the bigger concern.

I used to train engineers in my previous job, eight or nine courses over many years and equating to around 3000 or so interactions, many with the same people on different courses. To enable that, the company sent me on a trainers training course and several refreshers. The two things they pressed home were;

1: The only stupid question is the one no one asked, aka there is never a stupid question, just a difference of perception/understanding.

2: It takes a lot of courage for a person to speak out, for every one person who speaks out, five more were thinking the same.

In previous posts at least three people have said the lack of interaction has made them change or consider the way they post, using the above (and I've found both statements to be frighteningly true) there is possibly another twelve people who feel the same. Perhaps it's just me, but I find the thought of that rather sad.

Now here's the kicker, those who may be cutting back on what they write are not losing out, it's their model in their hands and they're enjoying it; the people who are really loosing, is everyone else.

Here's another thought for those still following along, if I hadn't responded to Chris's post yesterday and merely liked it, would any of the following conversations have occurred, my gut feeling is that it wouldn't and we'd all be the poorer for it.

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
Well I for one rate Micks work very highly, due to the attention to detail on his builds, as well as the brilliant work he does with 3D printing. I have been in a similar situation regarding improving kits, not because they warrantied it, but because I felt I had to do it, to improve the overall look. I post on here, obviously, and the Guild forum, and if someone likes what I have done then all well and good. I do not expect to garner plaudits and "oooh ahhs", as I show my work so that others can see what I'm doing, and hopefully feel inspired to do similar. I know there are a few modellers watching the current E1 thread, as they have kits to build themselves. Don't get me wrong, it is nice to receive positive responses to posts, but I don't think we are following the narcissism that exists on social media where it's all about how many followers you have......thankfully.

Mick, keep up the good work and inspiring us to follow suit.

Ian

mickoo

Western Thunderer
For my own posts, currently almost exclusively showing Tim Mills' images, I rely very much on "Likes". They do it for me! The occasional exclamation of delight over a particular image or correction to some data, including reminiscences are the icing on the cake. As long as a core number of people "Like" the posts it demonstrates to me that there's a continuing value in putting them up. When the "Likes" stop so will the postings, but not until then.

Brian
To my mind your photo thread is different, they're more information driven, a digital book or record as such, in which case the like button is possibly more appropriate.

To differentiate, the other posts are more tactile skill set achievements, learning, application, failing, doing etc, for me the like button often falls short.

That's not to take away your efforts, just that I (personally) think they're two different types of communication that warrant different types of response.

chigley

Western Thunderer
I don't normally have much input into various subjects but when i appreciate someones hard work and info, then the like
button gets pressed.:thumbs:

Ken

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
To my mind your photo thread is different, they're more information driven, a digital book or record as such, in which case the like button is possibly more appropriate.

To differentiate, the other posts are more tactile skill set achievements, learning, application, failing, doing etc, for me the like button often falls short.

That's not to take away your efforts, just that I (personally) think they're two different types of communication that warrant different types of response.

I welcome discussion on my own workbench topic. Sometimes, I use the Like button to acknowledge an input from someone where I want to return to their idea later. For example, after I have evolved a constructive response, maybe tried something out; or when I can see a rabbit hole opening and I want to get to a good stopping point in the present narrative first. A good example is a recent post by @simond about up-cycling active greetings cards.

James Spooner

Western Thunderer
Interesting and to counter, you do post occasionally, and that's all it takes. I suspect there are some who never post and just merrily click away on the like button.

Despite all the dialog few seem to have accepted the impact the lack of discussion is having on the (diminishing) content of peoples posts, that surely should be the bigger concern.

I used to train engineers in my previous job, eight or nine courses over many years and equating to around 3000 or so interactions, many with the same people on different courses. To enable that, the company sent me on a trainers training course and several refreshers. The two things they pressed home were;

1: The only stupid question is the one no one asked, aka there is never a stupid question, just a difference of perception/understanding.

2: It takes a lot of courage for a person to speak out, for every one person who speaks out, five more were thinking the same.

In previous posts at least three people have said the lack of interaction has made them change or consider the way they post, using the above (and I've found both statements to be frighteningly true) there is possibly another twelve people who feel the same. Perhaps it's just me, but I find the thought of that rather sad.

Now here's the kicker, those who may be cutting back on what they write are not losing out, it's their model in their hands and they're enjoying it; the people who are really loosing, is everyone else.

Here's another thought for those still following along, if I hadn't responded to Chris's post yesterday and merely liked it, would any of the following conversations have occurred, my gut feeling is that it wouldn't and we'd all be the poorer for it.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. I was taught by a wise old bird never to be afraid to ask the ‘daft laddie question’ as he put it. I guess many of us write just as a way of sharing our problems as well as our successes and very often it is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg. I use the like button a lot, as a way of expressing my appreciation when, as others have said, I feel I don’t really have anything valuable to add to the conversation. On my Elmham Market thread, I do appreciate it when others like my posts. Of course, I am more appreciative when others also add something in to the thread, especially if they have some advice that might help me through some difficulty or other, but a like indicates they are reading and enjoying.

I have been on WT for less than year but am tremendously admiring of the fantastic quality of your output. I read your thread to learn, which I do most times, but often don’t feel either able or the need to contribute (generally because your photos and descriptions tend to be self explanatory), so a like button shows just that.

Nigel

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I haven't replied to everyone whose written, nor have I gone clickity click happy with the like button either. So y'all I didn't reply to, don't feel aggrieved, I read everything and appreciate the input from all camps. As far as I'm concerned it was an adult and interesting conversation which has hopefully had some useful impact on folks.

Happy Modeling :cool:

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Way back yonder someone asked how I fix 3D to brass, today I was doing just that and thought it'd be a good idea to take some photos to hopefully clear any confusion.

First up we'll start with the chimney, in this case we're going the other way, brass to 3D.

IMG_1817.jpg

I measured the bore of the brass chimney and found some suitable thin bore tube that equals that internally or is wider, the top edge was profiled to match the underside of the chimney flange and soldered on; now it's a case of simply adding your adhesive of choice and plonking it on.

Some detail, without the additional tube we effectively only have a single surface bonding area, aka flat to flat. In this case the curved surface is not a true flat to flat and the curve will give additional bonding strength...but probably not enough. By adding the tube we have changed it to a dual surface bonding area, the closer those faces are to 90° the better as they reduce/eliminate the shearing failure that occurs with dissimilar materials.

Shearing failure, what does than mean? Well it's when two surfaces move at different rates, when that happens the bond will fail along that line, a good example is sand or tool boxes glued flat to flat on a brass plate; over time the expansion/retraction of the brass (greater than plastic) will cause the bond to fail. A good adhesive to counter this is Loctite 480, it has a rubber component and is designed to bond dissimilar surfaces, it's also bleedin expensive and has a short shelf life.

Back to the chimney, if it were 3D on brass then I'd still use the brass tube, but, I'd design in a rebate in the base of the 3D chimney to take the brass tube.

Image.jpg

You'll have to excuse the wavy underside, I tend not to care about this face when lofting, it doesn't get seen and so long as the surface is higher than the smoke box wrapper, has no impact on fitment.

I suspect most people try to make the arrowed edge (below) match the smoke box radius perfectly, don't, you really don't need to; you'll probably end up with a wobbly chimney or gaps around the flange. The only critical point is where the flange meets the smoke box (circled), if you focus on that you'll design in some leeway or tolerance.

The cavity will allow you to put some wet n dry on the smokebox and gently rub the flange down to get a perfect fit.

Image2.jpg

Moving on to boxy objects, in this case cab interior tank extensions.

First a disclaimer, there are none in the 2P kit so these are nice to have additions, not replacement parts. The only nod to authenticity is the small stub extension at the rear, this covers the gap in the footplate where it does not meet the cab side. That's a fault with the kit, but when you consider that the sides fold down to give the little walls at the entrance, as well as jacking the footplate up to the right height, it's a forgivable sin and quite normal back in the day of kit design.

In hind sight I should have pushed the plug down into the cavity (though that would have created additional issues with orientation and support on the 3D part) and made the top flush with the footplate, or better yet just filled the cavity and stood the tank on top. The tanks are not fitted yet so I'll ponder that as I write the rest of this.

The cab tank has been designed with as small a surface area touching the metal work, why, well it makes it a whole lot easier to flatten and match the brass work. As we saw with the chimney, the only critical part is visual the bit that actually touches the metal work, the rest is best left as clear as possible.

IMG_1813.jpg

On the left is the secret Skunk works photo, it shows the magic internal plate, the plate is there for a couple of reasons, it'll allow the adhesive to wrap around the beams and cavities to 'grab' the 3D part. The internal plate is purposely set back from the edge for the reason noted above, it's much easier to trim back that thin edge of resin to get a perfectly joint. The internal plate also has a 3D print component, it acts as a strengthener and critically, keeps the top surface warp free. It's not there by accident, nor is it's shape or placement.

By the same token, it'll not work for every application, you need to work out internal supports, baffles and plates to get the end result on virtually every component, it'll also change if you have a different orientation as the peel and compression forces will be coming from a different angle and push the part in a different direction.

Anyway, enough mumbo jumbo voodoo, lets look at the more practical application, fixing it to the cab.

Now the cab interior already has a multi face bonding area, in fact it has four if you count the small stub rear face on the inside of the door turn in.

Here's the drivers side just placed in to give y'all an idea of how it all goes together.

IMG_1815.jpg

You could probably just add adhesive to the surfaces and it'll stick fine but I'm loathe to do that for a few good reasons, it's quite hard to get just the right amount of adhesive on and usually it squirts out of the edges and needs cleaning up....wasting more time. The tank is also a tight fit and and adhesive will almost smear on the cab front or wall as the tank gets pushed into place. Second, the adhesive layer has a thickness (certainly Devcon) which can push the part away from the wall and if it shrinks or retracts will leave a trough.

We can do better than this, it's a little more effort but the end result is much neater and cleaner, we're going to hide the glue on the inside and now the concept of hidden grabs handles should becomes clear.

We've already made our 'grab' handle in the design of the tank internals, now we need a 'grab' handle on the brass so that the two in unison provide a lasting secure bond. If this were a smaller part like a sand box then I'd not have a 3D grab and rely on the internal walls to give the required purchase.

The simplest grab handle in brass is what I call a staple or pig tail, it can be any shape you like so long as it has more than two faces/edges/angles component to it.

IMG_1816.jpg

On the fireman's side you can see the small R shaped staple soldered to the inside of the cab wall, this fits inside the hole of the tank internal plate.

To fix in place the inside of the tank is filled with glue, doesn't need to be totally full, then very quickly and deftly, flip it over and place it on the cab interior. In this instance I'll be holding the body with the left hand side facing down and push the tank in and upward, it'll slow down the glue falling out.

Once in place I'll flip the whole body over to lie flat on the right hand side, the adhesive will then gloop down around the staple and bond the two together.

That folks, is how I fix 3D prints to brass models.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer

I pressed like on this because I, erm, liked it. But, for me, you've it the nail on the head, particularly with your last paragraph.

I think (for some) the lack of interaction is reducing how much they post. The models are still getting made but less publicly. Less written means less to read. Bit of a downward spiral IMO for those that enjoy reading content.

I'm minded of the following dictionary definition:

Forum: noun
a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
"we hope these pages act as a forum for debate"

Key words for me are "exchange" and "debate".

AndyH

Hello,
Maybe, also the fact that people see this as a hobby, and read and view as a distraction or escape from daily life. After a 10hr plus working day I don’t generally feel driven to contribute through a written response, but a ‘like’ shows at least it is viewed and acknowledged. I admire and appreciate the effort, focus, and time it takes to make all these amazing and brilliant models and share skills and techniques, but for me the harsh reality is other aspects of life have to take priority. So, in the precious moments spare, with skim reading, a like is the best contribution to the community I can muster in the general tide of posts.
Andy (edit due to typo)

Last edited:

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Way back yonder someone asked how I fix 3D to brass, today I was doing just that and thought it'd be a good idea to take some photos to hopefully clear any confusion.

That folks, is how I fix 3D prints to brass models.
Mick,
You took time at the Guildford Show to explain the subject of hidden fixings to Peter (aka Spike) and that was appreciated. This post expands upon that discussion because the photos illustrate nicely how there is a need for different strokes for different parts.

thank you, regards, Graham