Mickoo's American Modelling Empire

JasonD

Western Thunderer
My elder son and family was discussing his house move details on Saturday, so I was eating food and playing with grandsons. Hmmm, not a great excuse for skipping Kettering, ah well....

Looking forward to doing my Modern Era O Scale multi-door kit (after your hints and tips have been written up here, of course, Mick).

My theory about the Weaver GP38-2 is that the toolmaking company went down to the Lehigh Valley yard nearby and measured an LV GP38AC by mistake, hence the wide spacing of the fans and unignorable grilles. Anyway, I have a spare Des Plaines hood-top etch with close fan-holes if wanted.
Jason

JasonD

Western Thunderer
OK Richard. What road might this be repainted for? I could look it up and see if I've maybe got any other useful bits.
Jason

Big Train James

Western Thunderer
There's also Locophotos.com. The same login will get you into both sites. Both sites are very useful for certain information, but aren't much use for detail photos. The goal of both sites is to show the classic 3/4 shots or full side shots, rather than artsy or nuts and bolts type photos. However, the information associated with each photo is often comprehensive, so very useful for things like identifying builders, or dates, or some dimensions. I treat both sites as additional resources in the arsenal, rather than the end all for research.

I edited your photo, for what it's worth, which isn't much. :cool:
Image-2.jpg

Freight Cars Illustrated was a collaboration between three guys that did railroad oriented research. One was Darrell Sawyer, another was Eric Neubauer, and the third name escapes me. It may have been James Kincaid. Anyway, they collectively produced the FCIX series of books and spec sheets, but in some cases also offered their own research products. Sometime ago, I purchased some books from Eric Neubauer, two of which combined detail Gunderson and FMC railcar production from the beginning through 2009. The other two books deal with ACF Centerflow covered hoppers and centerbeam flatcars. I would consider any of them to be fantastic resources. Unfortunately, Eric has apparently also stopped publishing his railroad research content, his website still exists but doesn't have any content at all. I wish I had bought other books at the time.
gunderson-FMC to 1984.jpg

gunderson 1985-2009.jpg

The Rail Model Journal mags are supposed to be legitimately archived on the Trainlife website, along with several other now defunct modeling magazines. It's a nice idea, but unfortunately the website has often failed to work correctly, resulting in broken links or instances where only certain pages of a magazine would display. Issues had been addressed, but seem to be back in force again at the moment. I'm sure you could find issues available for sale, but it seems a shame to bother buying them when you can download them for free instead.

Gp38-2, the sub-base doors shouldn't split at the leading edge of the cab on the left side. The gap should be further back, lengthening the front battery box and shortening the rear box. That's a dash 2 characteristic. Photos that I see on RRpicturearchives.net show both classes of SP gp38-2's with the dash 2 configuration (4802 and 170). Also, the ex-L&N units appear to be after phase 1a, as the radiator intake screen is a single block rather than split, and the fans are close together. Easy enough to fix that with a new etch fan hatch and hole location.

On L window replacement, I don't know much but have to agree that the new engineer's window is in line with the center windows. It only makes sense really. This photo of 4806 shows the condition well enough I think. Looking at the catalog specs and the diagrams, I also agree that most likely the replacement horizontal portion was one of the extended windows. EMD apparently offered an extended window that was about 5" wider than the standard. Also, it looks like the standard configuration used the same size glass for all six fixed cab windows, including the door. It's interesting that there are three different sizes of "L" shaped windows.

emd glazing 001.JPG

emd glazing 002.JPG

Hope that helps in some way.
Jim

Last edited:

mickoo

Western Thunderer
My guess would be SP....ah double post...:))

So he'll need crinkle cut or waffle radiator intakes, I think they're shorter than the wire mesh ones, they don't seem to encroach as close to the -2 sight glass in the engine hood to me.

Depending on date you'll need a SP L shaped cab front or revised chopped down engineers window cab front, also a nose unit with notch for Gyralite or plated notch

Image.jpg

These are early 81" noses for a current ongoing project and have no handbrake fitting, I can try them on the Weaver GP38-2 and adjust accordingly, they'll also need extending to 88" for later EMD engines like the GP38-2 and handbrake opening added.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
There's also Locophotos.com. The same login will get you into both sites. Both sites are very useful for certain information, but aren't much use for detail photos. The goal of both sites is to show the classic 3/4 shots or full side shots, rather than artsy or nuts and bolts type photos. However, the information associated with each photo is often comprehensive, so very useful for things like identifying builders, or dates, or some dimensions. I treat both sites as additional resources in the arsenal, rather than the end all for research.

I edited your photo, for what it's worth, which isn't much. :cool:
View attachment 157967

Freight Cars Illustrated was a collaboration between three guys that did railroad oriented research. One was Darrell Sawyer, another was Eric Neubauer, and the third name escapes me. It may have been James Kincaid. Anyway, they collectively produced the FCIX series of books and spec sheets, but in some cases also offered their own research products. Sometime ago, I purchased some books from Eric Neubauer, two of which combined detail Gunderson and FMC railcar production from the beginning through 2009. The other two books deal with ACF Centerflow covered hoppers and centerbeam flatcars. I would consider any of them to be fantastic resources. Unfortunately, Eric has apparently also stopped publishing his railroad research content, his website still exists but doesn't have any content at all. I wish I had bought other books at the time.
View attachment 157975

View attachment 157976

The Rail Model Journal mags are supposed to be legitimately archived on the Trainlife website, along with several other now defunct modeling magazines. It's a nice idea, but unfortunately the website has often failed to work correctly, resulting in broken links or instances where only certain pages of a magazine would display. Issues had been addressed, but seem to be back in force again at the moment. I'm sure you could find issues available for sale, but it seems a shame to bother buying them when you can download them for free instead.

Gp38-2, the sub-base doors shouldn't split at the leading edge of the cab on the left side. The gap should be further back, lengthening the front battery box and shortening the rear box. That's a dash 2 characteristic. Photos that I see on RRpicturearchives.net show both classes of SP gp38-2's with the dash 2 configuration (4802 and 170). Also, the ex-L&N units appear to be after phase 1a, as the radiator intake screen is a single block rather than split, and the fans are close together. Easy enough to fix that with a new etch fan hatch and hole location.

On L window replacement, I don't know much but have to agree that the new engineer's window is in line with the center windows. It only makes sense really. This photo of 4806 shows the condition well enough I think. Looking at the catalog specs and the diagrams, I also agree that most likely the replacement horizontal portion was one of the extended windows. EMD apparently offered an extended window that was about 5" wider than the standard. Also, it looks like the standard configuration used the same size glass for all six fixed cab windows, including the door. It's interesting that there are three different sizes of "L" shaped windows.

View attachment 157977

View attachment 157978

Hope that helps in some way.
Jim
It's late so just briefly.

GP38-2, didn't check the LH side to be honest as it was in the box by then, RH was okay so I made an ass...umption. rechecked SP Ex LN units and my views were at oblique angles so not terrible good to make a judgement on, I'm sure they were 1a units, they were when at L&N but maybe partially upgraded when they went through Helm.

SP L screens, I only see two, items 13 and 18?

Item 10 is sometimes called Landscape but EMD call it extended vision, GE had true Landscapes that went right across the middle as one piece.

Some EMD engines were fitted with extended at birth, I'm sure SP had some but I'd have to check, however rebuilt L shaped cabs also got the extended screen rather than the stock (item 4) screen.

FCI books, yup gutted I didn't pull the trigger back then when I could.

RMJ mags, if they're legitimately free then use this link Index of /wp-content/uploads/2017/08, I didn't post it earlier in case it was a hackers site, I've been downloading as I go along. I suspect this is a link to old files on a server somewhere, long since forgotten, I've had it for years.

I do need to consider getting all the mainline modeller mags on DVD from the CSXHS, I think it was them who were offering the collection?

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Some movement on the bat cave today...it's been a long day so updates are late tonight.

Glazing and door all in, insulation too, floor to follow once walls are skinned.

Shell is now all water tight and exterior cladding goes on last, probably next week, interior walls and floor should be later this week and then I can get benches and such like in. Lights hopefully turn up tomorrow, heater too, lights I can begin to fix and run conduits and cables etc.

The high level letter box windows are doing a good job of letting a lot of light in on the rear wall, much as I hoped they would do.

IMG_0875.jpg

IMG_0877.jpg

IMG_0878.jpg

Big Train James

Western Thunderer
Yes, only 2 "L" screens, I misread the lines and counted one of the frames by mistake.

81" versus 88" noses, the change happened in 1977. So there are lots of dash 2 era locos with either size.

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Thats looking good Mick

The only real problem with y shed is that it gets too cold in winter too often.
Something else to think about when I retire

Richard

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Thats looking good Mick

The only real problem with y shed is that it gets too cold in winter too often.
Something else to think about when I retire

Richard
Cheers,

Cold? Not if you have one of these I hope ;)

If one isn't enough then I'll get another, but I'm hoping the full insulation package and UPVC double glazed door and windows will enable one to cope.

The plan is to keep it around 6 - 8°C all the time to stop condensation, then punch it up when I need to work in there.

In the summer time I suspect it's going to be a heat trap, hence the large top hung window.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I trust that you chaps modelling these rather quaint colonial railways are aware of this

I get a regular email from daniel@oscaleresource.com which may be of interest. The online mag has some lovely modelling and some great technique stuff in it.
We are, I believe some are lucky enough to plan to go, sadly I've spent all my shekels on the bat cave, plus, I suspect I'd then move on from there to Cajon and maybe not return for 'many' weeks, not good for the business or wrath of the domestic boss.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Love it Mick

Enjoy every minute of it.

Richard
Already there, full on pig in :shit: mode :))

Nearly finished the 'working' bench today, certainly done by tomorrow, then it'll be onto the 'testing' (toy trains ;)) bench work. This will just be a nice large flat surface (I may not even add a surface, just a nice flat ladder) the plan is to then stand the layout modules on top of that which would allow them to be removed and exhibited if so desired.

Big Train James

Western Thunderer
I'll be there, presuming things go according to plan. Shekels aren't usually my problem, rather finding things to exchange them for is the common issue. I'm picky, and I don't model in an era that is well supported with product.

I mostly go to see people, get away from home for a few days, sometimes do some research at Illinois Railway Museum, and definitely to eat some good food. This year I am actually going to try and sell excess goods, that will be a new experience. I might come home with more money than I arrive with!:cool:

Last edited:

mickoo

Western Thunderer
That is a nice looking Bat cave.
Michael
Thank you.

For many years I was an avid flight sim enthusiast, siming/commercial developer and it has to be said, there was a strong chance in the early planning days where the width would have grown and the length shortened (square area is limited by local planning rules) to perhaps accommodate a DIY B737 simulator, probably an NG as they're a lot mini screens and you don't have to source as many authentic analogue gauges.

The second one you have to click the link as remote viewing isn't enabled.

Perhaps in another lifetime ;)