Liver & Fry's workbench

Liver & Fry

Western Thunderer
VFA?

oh, never mind, I had to look it up...

it's a bugger getting old, eh?

It certainly is! Age related bone loss, the effects it has on quality of life and the burden on the NHS are all things that often get overlooked within medicine. 70% of osteoporotic vertebral fractures are undiagnosed because patients don't realise they've suffered one (just put it down as back pain and carry on) and yet they are a strong indicator of future fracture (if you have a vertebral collapse, your chances of future fracture elsewhere in the body increases significantly). If we can identify people at risk and treat them prior to fracture, it is far nicer for the individual and removes another number from the system.

(Sorry, this is something I'm very passionate about!)

Exam went well this morning, so that's one less thing to worry about!

- James

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
It certainly is! Age related bone loss, the effects it has on quality of life and the burden on the NHS are all things that often get overlooked within medicine. 70% of osteoporotic vertebral fractures are undiagnosed because patients don't realise they've suffered one (just put it down as back pain and carry on) and yet they are a strong indicator of future fracture (if you have a vertebral collapse, your chances of future fracture elsewhere in the body increases significantly). If we can identify people at risk and treat them prior to fracture, it is far nicer for the individual and removes another number from the system.

(Sorry, this is something I'm very passionate about!)

Exam went well this morning, so that's one less thing to worry about!

- James
Sounds like writing your essays on WT is the way to go lol....

M&GN 3 plank opens New

Liver & Fry

Western Thunderer
Well, as promised, here they are!

20240913_094051.jpg

The lack of source material has made these some of the more frustrating builds, but equally I'm pleased with the outcome and the fact I finally have some M&GN stock.

I've ordered an M&GN brake van from Pre-Grouping Railways so when that arrives they'll have something to go behind them. What will go in front is an entirely different question!

- James

GNR outside framed van New

Liver & Fry

Western Thunderer
Not had much time this weekend as was at a wedding, however, this afternoon the GNR van has received its first coat of brown:

20240915_195119.jpg

I say first because the outside frame sections seem to just absorb the paint and so will need going over again to give a consistent colour.

This one is quite straight forward in it's livery application so I don't see this taking too long to finish (coursework commitments aside).

- James

M&GN 3 plank opens New

Liver & Fry

Western Thunderer
Something was bugging me about the M&GN wagons - Namely the two revenue examples. Most reference photos are post 1919, when bodyside wagon numbering was pretty much abandoned (the only reference to a number being the plate on the solebar), but of of course, these are meant to be Edwardian era wagons. The lack of a number (or anything other than M&GN) made them look unfinished when sat next to, say, the GN opens with their tonnage and tare etc.

The main problem I have is not knowing what numbers are appropriate, as I have no clear reference photos. In the end, i referred to the original drawing I'd looked at, which was numbered 287. As a result, this happened this evening:

20240916_213611.jpg

The other wagon is going to be numbered 711, based on the Ken Werrett drawing on which these kits appear to be based on. Again, whether the number is correct is unknown, but as these are my only references, who am I to argue?

I shall not be numbering the ballast wagon, in keeping with what I understand to be correct practice for such relegated wagons.

- James

Liver & Fry

Western Thunderer
Yesterday saw the second coat of brown applied, with the black done tonight along with a light varnish on the body ready for transfers. It's coming along quickly now!

20240917_224630.jpg20240917_224830.jpg

As a side note, whilst it is a cliché that typically only happens whenever you finish, or get close to completing a wagon build, it was pleasant to see Rapido announce the later style of GN vans yesterday. I have pre-ordered the fruit variant as it is specifically allocated to Wisbech and, well, how could I say no? Ignoring the local angle, it will add a nice bit of variety alongside this example!

- James

Liver & Fry

Western Thunderer
Almost there now...

Tonight saw both sides receiving lettering (with thanks once again to @Overseer for the transfer sheet provided previously!)

I decided for this one to go with the earlier styling of lettering (small G.N.R), just to add some variety (and because there was plenty of these on the sheet!)

20240918_220359.jpg

The roof is rested on for illustrative purposes. Both sides will be varnished tomorrow and then the roof will be stuck on properly.

- James

Mick LNER

Western Thunderer
The Van Frames are in need of rubbing down or scraping , or sealing should have been done before painting. Did the instructions say anything about sealing/treating the wood?

Liver & Fry

Western Thunderer
The Van Frames are in need of rubbing down or scraping , or sealing should have been done before painting. Did the instructions say anything about sealing/treating the wood?

They did not, only a cautionary note about wood can warp if over exposed to water. The card coach kits suggest sealing.

In all fairness, the appearance of the framing (the wood grain) is consistent with how it was before it was painted (i.e painting it hasn't made the framing any worse) and in photos vs the naked eye, the camera accentuates some of the effect.

- James

Liver & Fry

Western Thunderer
Since I finished the GN van my focus has firmly been on my PgCert rather than finishing any other projects, as I'm sure you can appreciate. However, having finally completed and submitted that God-forsaken essay this week, I figured I'd treat myself to a night of soldering!

So here's tonight's efforts:

20240926_225003.jpg

A batch of W-irons to cover the next five wagon builds (the four GE opens and the LDEC open). Nothing too exciting by way of an update, but it all helps!

The aim is firmly to finish what I've started and get these five done by the end of the year, but not until after 16th October when my module is complete.

- James