7mm Heybridge Basin

Hayfield1

Richard

Thanks for the info, I think it may have been a spring tide as the whole area was mostly submerged by 11.30 on Thursday

We moved to the area 8 years ago and the Basin is one of our go to places, will be interesting to see your take on it

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the info, I think it may have been a spring tide as the whole area was mostly submerged by 11.30 on Thursday

Looking at the tide tables it appears to be a 1.8m tide. 2.1 m tides are expected on 9th March which I suspect will reach or even breach the top of the lock gate.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
All this talk of big tides brings back memories of learning to Scuba dive here in the UK. The Sub Aqua Association(SAA) standard blurb recommended a 3 minute decompression stop at 3 metres on every dive.

Which is all very well in inland bodies of water where much of the training took place (most of my open water training was done in flooded quarries) but try doing a 3 metre stop at sea in 6 metre swells...

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
Looking at the tide tables it appears to be a 1.8m tide. 2.1 m tides are expected on 9th March which I suspect will reach or even breach the top of the lock gate.

I succumbed to temptation and visited at high tide at lunch time today. The levels of the water in estuary, sea lock and basin were all much the same as each other; the flood gates were open and all three sets of lock gates were closed.

P1050695.jpeg
The tops of the flood gates are (my estimate) about 0.7 m above the structural top of the sea gate, and they are pretty much level with the top of the sea wall.

P1050705.jpeg
If the tide goes 300 mm or so above its level today (taking it above the structural top of the sea gate), the flood gates will be closed; but the tide then needs to breach these gates or go over the sea wall to inundate the settlement.

P1050692.jpeg
All seems quite serene inside.

P1050700.jpeg
Nothing is ever simple and the tide table on display here shows a completely different set of values for high tide compared to the figures cited in other posts here :confused:

There are signs with depth markings beside the sea gate, and they display two sets of depths in feet. Perhaps, the larger figure is the depth of the water in the sea lock ("Ht/m"), and the smaller is the maximum draft of vessel able to pass over the threshold below the gate to enter the sea lock and proceed into the basin? marked in feet and metres.

Last edited:

simond

Western Thunderer
The table I added to the post above is not what I habitually use, the port publishes a table giving first and last locks in and out, and they typically do a couple (or more in the summer) in between. There’s a trick in working out what the fishing boats are doing, and trying to fit in. Haven’t quite got it sussed yet.

The tide tables & web apps will give a “height of tide” relative to the tide table datum, but local tide tables may well give a “height over sill” to save boat owners having to make the calculation. If there are local tide gauges, they will show the height over the sill.

I’m surprised the depth gauges are in feet.

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
Sorry it looks as though the depth markings are metric and imperial, not two sets of imperial.

P1050656 (1).jpeg
Needless to say I have never owned a boat!
This is obviously a local gauge, so if this is the height over sill then the heights of high tide of around 1.8 to 2.1 metres posted here earlier, and the heights of around 5 metres posted on the local notice must be describing other measurements. I don't have a clue what they mean.

simond

Western Thunderer
I guess a peer down t’ole when the tide’s out will make all clear.

I’d guess that the gauge is reading over the sill, but it’s not an area I’ve ever boated in.

- I could say “sailed” but my boats have always been fitted with iron tops’ls (and every other type of sail) so in deference to those whose motive power is more environmentally friendly…

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Interesting looking at the notice board. I can see why you have to book your passage as it appears the lock is only opened 2hrs either side of high tide during daylight hours and not a 24/7 operation.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
There’s a trick in working out what the fishing boats are doing, and trying to fit in. Haven’t quite got it sussed yet.

There is.

When sailing with my neighbour, and after coming down the bouyed channel (navigable at high tide) from Kirkudbright we reached the anchorage behind Little Ross Island in the mouth of the River Dee to Kirkudbright.

As we approached we watched a Kirkudbright fishing boat sail through the narrow channel (red) rather than take the recommended passage (green). Our thought was if he can do that then we can. And it did save time as we just managed to get into Whithorn Harbour on the ebbing tide before the harbour dried. Otherwise we'd have to hang around for 12hrs waiting for the next high tide (although we did have a contingency plan). Whithorn is a drying harbour at low tide.

Little Ross.jpg

Alan

Western Thunderer
I did my siling and training from a house boat called the Haybay about 100 yards downstream from the lock, just beyond the boatshed and crane you can see your post112. I learned to sail there, it is part of the London Borough of newham's Outdoor Education Centre and over 5 years worked my way up to become a RYA senior instructor working at weekends. Happy days particularly the staff courses.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
I haven’t seen “The Boathouse” for years, and I don’t think I ever saw a tide like that at Parkgate.

is the ice cream shop still there? Nicholl’s? And is the Red Lion still lovely?
Hi Simon,

Yes, Nicholl's ice cream shop is still there but not entered the Red Lion so cannot comment. Off to the Red Fox at Thornton Hough tonight for a nice meal though, the best restaurant on Wirral.

cheers

Mike

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
Hi Simon,

Yes, Nicholl's ice cream shop is still there but not entered the Red Lion so cannot comment. Off to the Red Fox at Thornton Hough tonight for a nice meal though, the best restaurant on Wirral.

cheers

Mike
And I can confirm that the Red Lion is still going strong. The Parade is very popular in most weather, ice cream and chip sales seem to remain buoyant.

John